Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Default Electric car beats ferrari

Not sure if this has been posted.

An electric car made by a company in the states called wrightspeed has posted a 0-60 speed that is second only to 1,000 horsepower bugatti veyron. The bugatti beats it to 60 by half a second.

It also raced against a Ferrari spider down the quarter and beat it by 2 lengths.

The company wants to market them as roadsters sold in the states for $100,000usd.

Check out the link
http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/04/tech...2_wrightspeed/

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

When you compare 1/10 scale cars it doesnt suprise me at all. Electric power is instant and grunt only limited by the power of the batteries.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
jarridtheruler
I wish I was offshore....

yeh, i guess this it what the future is going to look like.
Its scary, and sad really
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

why is it scary?

Other than the pollution produced to make the power it uses, its clean. Its obviously fast. We dont really need to be driving around burning our fossil fuels all our lives.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:55 AM   #5
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
We dont really need to be driving around burning our fossil fuels all our lives.
awww but thats fun !
Old 07-05-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
why is it scary?

Other than the pollution produced to make the power it uses, its clean. Its obviously fast. We dont really need to be driving around burning our fossil fuels all our lives.
The perception of electricity that it is clean is false.

If we stopped buying petrol cars tommorow and all went electric. where does the power come from. COAL FIRED POWER STATIONS.

So untill the govt puts our GST money to good use then using electricity will be no better than burning fuel.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc-007

If we stopped buying petrol cars tommorow and all went electric. where does the power come from. COAL FIRED POWER STATIONS.

So untill the govt puts our GST money to good use then using electricity will be no better than burning fuel.
With electricity we have a choice. The power could potentially by generated with nuclear plants or even hydro power and wind farms. With petrol there is no option - you have to burn the fuel to drive your car. Electricity isn't clean by necessity, but has the potential to be a lot cleaner than fossil fuels. Eventually we have to start taking responsibility for what we are doing to this planet. I'm all for alternatives to hydrocarbon based fuels.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
mash85

how many kays can this electric car do to a umm...errr...tank of electricity? can it get 500 - 600 like my fairy. if its like only a range of 50 clicks or something, its useless, even if it can blow off a ferrari
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres the link direct to right page"http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/04/technology/business2_wrightspeed/index.htm
after reading the storey ,it is hoped to improve distance to 100km,so must get a fair bit less now, also it is hoped to improve recharge time down to 4.5hours with future battery technology,must be overnight at the moment by the sounds of it,so even with this leap thats happened so far it looks like long distance out of city driving is still a long way off.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
When you compare 1/10 scale cars it doesnt suprise me at all. Electric power is instant and grunt only limited by the power of the batteries.
In theory electric motors produce maximum torque at 0rpm.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash85
how many kays can this electric car do to a umm...errr...tank of electricity? can it get 500 - 600 like my fairy. if its like only a range of 50 clicks or something, its useless, even if it can blow off a ferrari
True, but give it some time because its only new. It wont be long before it gets distance like a petrol car.

Soon we wont be arguing over LS1 Chevs versus Boss blocks...........it will be Energiser versus Duracell. :
Old 07-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #12
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

The Ferrari was owned but geez it still sounded oh so much sweeter than that other buzz box

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #13
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no such thing as a 100% non-polluting alternative, all we're doing is shifting the pollution problem somewhere else until that too becomes excessive. I.e. How the hell are we going to dispose of all those batteries and electric motors?
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #14
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc-007

Jesus im sure reading and comprehension must have been neglected at some stage. Is said, "Other than the pollution produced creating the power". I have already addressed your point.

Quote:
it is hoped to improve distance to 100km
Ah, make that 100 miles. And it isnt hoped to improve it to that. The manufacturer is confident they can make one with 100mile range. 100 mile is 160km which would be quite acceptable for a car of the future used primarily for travelling to and from work. Even outside the city, 160km would be sufficient for a lot of people for a whole day.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #15
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Electric motors are by far more efficient than any sort of combustion engine.

100% torque all through the rev range is the main advantage of electric motors, thus an extremely linear power curve.

Battery technology is still another generation away though.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
Marhleet

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino3o2
The Ferrari was owned but geez it still sounded oh so much sweeter than that other buzz box
the stupid ads mucked up my playing it again , but ....
wasn't there a constant squeal of tyres all the way down the strip ?
and I bet the ferrari wasn't making THAT noise
Marhleet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #17
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the wrightspeed

and well i was watching Topgear and well i thought i seen the wrightspeed somewhere before and i did

its called the ariel atom

dont no if they are the same make or just different models
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #18
XR6Dan
Why??

Coal fired powerstation 50-60% efficient, combustion engine 30% efficent. Even if you do plug it in at night, *some* environmental savings, and keeps polution in the city low.
Switch to hydrogen power, 0 emissions (except for steam). Just getting hydrogen is the problem, takes electricity to produce.
XR6Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #19
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Dan
Coal fired powerstation 50-60% efficient, combustion engine 30% efficent. Even if you do plug it in at night, *some* environmental savings, and keeps polution in the city low.
Switch to hydrogen power, 0 emissions (except for steam). Just getting hydrogen is the problem, takes electricity to produce.
That's right - also, not all electricity has to come from fossil fuel sources. As I stated earlier, the electricity could well come from nuclear plants or even solar/wind/hydro plants. It is entirely plausible that an infrastructure could be set up for electric cars that would reduce pollution by a massive factor. The big question is, will we go electric or will we develop efficient, cost effective alternative fuels such as hydrogen cells.

Whether you like it or not, something has to give. If we continue to pump hydrocarbon emmissions into to air, we will kill this planet. If you don't care about that, you should be lined up and shot.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #20
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
The big question is, will we go electric or will we develop efficient, cost effective alternative fuels such as hydrogen cells.
Hydrogen is not a fuel its a energy carrier, like a battery, and has been proven that its certainly not efficiant or cost effective. It actually takes more oil to charge a hydrogen cell, then it would to simply use the oil for petrol
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #21
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
Electric motors are by far more efficient than any sort of combustion engine.

100% torque all through the rev range is the main advantage of electric motors, thus an extremely linear power curve.

Battery technology is still another generation away though.
thats interesting, i wonder what the efficiancy differences are between electric motors and combustion motors, i know electric motors are about 70% efficient
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #22
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Electric motors have a lot of torque from low revs too. So their initial acceleration should be good, get the gearing sorted out (CVT) and it is possible to be quick.

Pininfarina did a series of very good-looking carbon-fibre bodied showcars with electric motors a few years ago (Ethos 1, 2 & 3) that were very zippy (Ferrari quick from memory).
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #23
turboute
turboute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
the wrightspeed

and well i was watching Topgear and well i thought i seen the wrightspeed somewhere before and i did

its called the ariel atom

dont no if they are the same make or just different models
If you read the article you will realize that he sourced the frame from ariel. His goal was to produce a car that he could make with 'off the shelf' parts.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #24
Barry_v
rocknrolla

If they put the electric engine in a real car rather than a go cart, maybe it would have some respect.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post