Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #1
Warrenk

Default 2023 Ford Ranger Raptor R

'We want to work on it': 2023 Ford Ranger Raptor R teased by Ford as V8-powered super ute that outmuscles Toyota GR HiLux and Volkswagen Amarok V6

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...4Krb4P-f9NKysg
Old 02-01-2022, 01:29 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: 2023 Ford Ranger Raptor R

With the f150 having the raptor r above the standard f150 raptor, it does open a spot at the top for a ranger raptor r.

Don’t know about a v8 as feasible, but the f150’s 3.5 ecoboost would be a good step up from the rumoured 3 litre ecoboost. Make room for 35’s to replace raptors 33 bfg’s.

The 3.5 makes 450 hp, which is about the same as the mustang v8, but more torque. Should be an easy fit if there is already a similar v6 in other versions.

Easier and cheaper than a v8. Just won’t sound as good. But in theory would be faster, lighter and better on fuel. Much easier to build in the factory as well.

Pipe dream though. Would take years to come to market.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 02:08 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Now we're talkin'!

C'mon Ford, ignore the beancounters and just do it.

A go anywhere, take everone and everything vehicle with a V8 soundtrack to compliment.
Would be well out of my budget but if it we're, be damned if I'd opt for a boosted 6 to save a few dollars at the pump regardless of the power/torque comparisons.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 03:02 PM   #4
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Click bait, there is zero chance of a V8 Ranger.

The world is moving away from ICE engines, and any new V8 engines into non V8 platforms is a pipe dream
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2022, 03:30 PM   #5
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

I would prefer the 7.3L Godzilla engine if they did go the v8 route.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2022, 05:08 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
I would prefer the 7.3L Godzilla engine if they did go the v8 route.
I reckon it'll have an LS1 since we're talking fake news car 'journalism'

I heard on the grape vine from my journalist friend the Raptor R is going to have the Pontiac Straight Eight, they've dusted off the tooling from 1933 someone had sitting in a storage yard they didn't pay the bill for.

I've got the inside scoop from my friend Neil Armstrong, who has provided the following photo for an exclusive leak just for AFF, here it is in the engine bay of the Ranger Raptor R:

Automotive 'journalism' is pathetic.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-01-2022 at 05:31 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2022, 05:51 PM   #7
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Build it, and they will come.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2022, 06:22 PM   #8
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

if both Trevor and Mark are really interested then it may yet happen - most likely as some limited edition FPV type car, perhaps modded in Plant2? We nearly got there a couple of years ago and even coded into FTM the ability to build a 'naked' chassis with no powertrain

I'm not hugely hopeful, but Trevor has made things happen in the past and if anyone can swing this with the big boys in Dearborn it's him.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
if both Trevor and Mark are really interested then it may yet happen - most likely as some limited edition FPV type car, perhaps modded in Plant2? We nearly got there a couple of years ago and even coded into FTM the ability to build a 'naked' chassis with no powertrain

I'm not hugely hopeful, but Trevor has made things happen in the past and if anyone can swing this with the big boys in Dearborn it's him.
I think their words have been taken out of context, both men are passionate about their Ford’s and would love to head a project like this but the cold reality is that these projects are for a small company to modify existing Rangers.

The best that can be hoped for is that costs are reduced by certain elements redesigned in the next generation, things like a engine bay being set out for Vee engine is a great help for post production work.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2022, 01:02 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Click bait, there is zero chance of a V8 Ranger.

The world is moving away from ICE engines, and any new V8 engines into non V8 platforms is a pipe dream
Indeed but,
That also makes me wonder how long the 3.0 V6 diesel will live if it’s only popular in our market.
If indeed electric vehicles are closer than we think, maybe Thailand manufacturing should
be considering not only inclusion of but also a move to hybrids and PHEVs…….
Old 03-01-2022, 03:29 PM   #11
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Indeed but,
That also makes me wonder how long the 3.0 V6 diesel will live if it’s only popular in our market.
If indeed electric vehicles are closer than we think, maybe Thailand manufacturing should
be considering not only inclusion of but also a move to hybrids and PHEVs…….
I would imagine that’s a given ?

A V8 ? I think it’s a pipe dream.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I would imagine that’s a given ?
Don’t get me wrong, the next Gen T6s look great but I don’t sense that Ford intelligence
is ahead of the curve on electrification.

Quote:
A V8 ? I think it’s a pipe dream.
A V8 Ranger already exists, assistance to post production converters is all that’s needed,
offering a NG Ranger with Vee configuration engine bay and crash protection cell is the
biggest gift Ford can give to those organisations…..for that Ford is to be thanked.

Last edited by jpd80; 03-01-2022 at 04:19 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #13
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I reckon it'll have an LS1 since we're talking fake news car 'journalism'

I heard on the grape vine from my journalist friend the Raptor R is going to have the Pontiac Straight Eight, they've dusted off the tooling from 1933 someone had sitting in a storage yard they didn't pay the bill for.

I've got the inside scoop from my friend Neil Armstrong, who has provided the following photo for an exclusive leak just for AFF, here it is in the engine bay of the Ranger Raptor R:

Automotive 'journalism' is pathetic.
HaHa Loveit Franco!! Gold!!
Old 04-01-2022, 11:23 AM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Don’t get me wrong, the next Gen T6s look great but I don’t sense that Ford intelligence
is ahead of the curve on electrification.

A V8 Ranger already exists, assistance to post production converters is all that’s needed,
offering a NG Ranger with Vee configuration engine bay and crash protection cell is the
biggest gift Ford can give to those organisations…..for that Ford is to be thanked.
Ford is no 2 in EV sales in the US behind Tesla. I think you are severely underestimating what is in the pipeline. They have already spoken of offering their icons as EV’s. F series EV is only a few months away, Explorer EV is next. Mustang will offer hybrid and Ranger will too. Escape already does. Ranger is one of Fords icon models, so it’s inevitable it will go EV.

It’s not Fords reluctance to offer EV’s on every model that is the hold up, it is getting the battery supply factories built and running that will take time. The huge battery factory they are building in kentucky will kickstart things. But its still a couple of years away.

The tie up with VW for EV supply in europe will cover the fiesta/focus side of things. I think VW already have their EV versions ready in the ID3 and ID4? Fords versions can’t be that far away.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:59 AM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ford is no 2 in EV sales in the US behind Tesla. I think you are severely underestimating what is in the pipeline. They have already spoken of offering their icons as EV’s. F series EV is only a few months away, Explorer EV is next. Mustang will offer hybrid and Ranger will too. Escape already does. Ranger is one of Fords icon models, so it’s inevitable it will go EV.
Internationally, Tesla has sold over 900,000 BEVs in 2021,
Tesla Texas and Berlin are about to come on line……..

Explorer EV is now delayed until 2025 to give Lightning more battery supply.
My comment regarding electrification was in relation to an electrified version of Ranger/Everest, I think that’s lots of years away, we will be lucky to see a hybrid version………
Quote:
It’s not Fords reluctance to offer EV’s on every model that is the hold up, it is getting the battery supply factories built and running that will take time. The huge battery factory they are building in kentucky will kickstart things. But its still a couple of years away.
Planning for battery supply takes years, under Hackett he was happy to just buy in what the company thought it needed but that doesn’t work when everyone is scrambling for battery supply. So yeah, Farley has just set plans for three (3) battery plants by 2025.

All of the above is exclusively for North American market…..that’s what Ford does.
Quote:
The tie up with VW for EV supply in europe will cover the fiesta/focus side of things. I think VW already have their EV versions ready in the ID3 and ID4? Fords versions can’t be that far away.
Remaking Cologne plant as we speak but I can almost guarantee that we will struggle to get anything like decent access to supplies….and Canadian built VW MEB based Ford EVs doesn’t begin until after 2025……

In all of Ford’s doubling of Mustang Mach E production, there was no mention of
places like Australia getting any supply, that would be the first ray of hope, yes?

Last edited by jpd80; 04-01-2022 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #16
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Hybrid Ranger would be a bit of a funny one. There is a market of ICE (obviously) and I do think there will be a market for BEV, but Hybrid (of any type in any vehicle actually) seems 'wrong' to me. From an engineering development point of view it's about the worst sort of compromise you can possible have. you need to fully engineer the ICE system, and the battery system, and then integrate the two. Given the (relatively) low sales volume and the (relatively) small premium on the price, I struggle to see how there can ever be a business case for a Ranger Hybrid

BEV on the other hand - bring. it. on! Hybrid will always be a short term interim solution. Pile all the resource into BEV I say!
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2022, 10:43 AM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here’s a T6 Ranger frame

Here’s the Lightning frame

A while back, people were laughing at the idea that Ranger and F150 could be covered under the one platform and maybe it was wrong of me to conceptualise the vehicles that way.

So let’s try this,
the Lightning shows how a body on frame ICE pickup can be changed into a BEV, it’s not inconceivable that the same process could be applied to the Ranger frame but since batteries and drive motor units are already developed, a BEV Ranger would be able to use much of the Lightning’s EV technology, especially when the new TE1 skateboard F150 arrives in the US in 2025…

Ford is probably not even thinking of this for our region but imagine if one day, the penny dropped and Ford’s people decided to do something radical…….

Last edited by jpd80; 05-01-2022 at 10:51 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #18
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never really considered just how low down that centre of gravity would be, and how low the front would be with no ICE and trans. Great pics!
Old 12-01-2022, 06:39 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ll just leave this one here…look at the wheel arches on the Ranger

3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2022, 01:00 AM   #20
Gumboot

Looks like it is also wearing BFG KO2 all terrains by that tread pattern. Only the Ranger Raptor here has those….
And twin exhausts:

Last edited by Gumboot; 13-01-2022 at 01:05 AM.
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #21
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

https://www.ranger6g.com/forum/threa...t-fascia.6994/

Nic pics here!!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2022, 11:09 AM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post
Looks like it is also wearing BFG KO2 all terrains by that tread pattern. Only the Ranger Raptor here has those….
And twin exhausts:
The fx4 max has bfg’s as well. 265/70/17’s though.
Old 13-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #23
Gumboot

Ahr yes you are right. I forgot about that one.
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post