Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #31
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: Driving Age in Different States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
You could get a Licence in the USA at 15 years and 6 months in some States, but if you came to Australia ?
I would think that you would have to have an Open Licence at least to drive here.

If you want to get a Hire car you have to be 21yo I think before they let you hire a car.
if their licence in USA or any other country you are good to go..
just follow state laws..

hire cars a private enterprise their rule's..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #32
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
You are the one insisting I am wrong mate, but haven't provided any evidence to refute me, the onus is on you. I acknowledged I was wrong about the trailers - why can't you do the same
I have not started every reply to yours with 'Wrong.'

I quoted you the legislation for the trailer and another link to the RMS stating what I said. You didn't like that answer as it doesn't agree with you.

If you can find the legislation that refutes what I said then, yes, I will apologise.

Interstate police can fine you for not adhering to the conditions of you licence as the offence is similar to not adhere to the conditions of your licence, not adhere to the conditions of [the state's] licence.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Pfft laws - they're more 'guidelines' and only enforceable if you get caught

Whats the go with no u-turns at lights in NSW, here its the opposite, throw U turns at lights unless its signed that you can't
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2021, 03:23 PM   #34
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post

I quoted you the legislation for the trailer and another link to the RMS stating what I said. You didn't like that answer as it doesn't agree with you.

If you can find the legislation that refutes what I said then, yes, I will apologise.

Interstate police can fine you for not adhering to the conditions of you licence as the offence is similar to not adhere to the conditions of your licence, not adhere to the conditions of [the state's] licence.
I can't find the law to refute coz it doesn't exist. I can't be any clearer
Trevor 57 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #35
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post

A simple question, how can VicPol book a NSW p plater for exceeding 90k when there is no law in Victoria that says they have to do 90
Old 20-08-2021, 03:28 PM   #36
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
I can't find the law to refute coz it doesn't exist. I can't be any clearer
You haven't even looked have you?

EDIT:

I will concede that I am looking up NSW law and not VIC's - maybe that is where we are differing in views?

Last edited by PG2; 20-08-2021 at 03:43 PM.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #37
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will say it again, VicPol cannot book someone for breaking a NSW law whilst in Victoria

That is why extradition rules exist
Old 20-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #38
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #39
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post

mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2021, 08:07 PM   #40
Itsme
Experienced Member

Fk me best sh*t I've read for a long time in this forum....
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #41
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
I will say it again, VicPol cannot book someone for breaking a NSW law whilst in Victoria

That is why extradition rules exist

https://youtu.be/hVjSxyikYpM
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
What idiot came up with the 90km thing anyway? Of all the places is safe to do 100kph or the full limit its the bloody highway!
It was even worse back when L platers could only drive at 80 in NSW. What other vehicle are people taught to operate it at 70% of its full capabilities.

Imagine if you found out your flight across the pacific was going to take 3 hours longer because the pilot was under instruction.
Or your train to work in the morning rocked up 10 minutes late because the driver was learning to drive it slow.
Who ever decided the 80 and now 90 limit for Learners has no idea. I’d like to hear an argument for why it’s a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Whats the go with no u-turns at lights in NSW, here its the opposite, throw U turns at lights unless its signed that you can't
I can see it being an issue when someone is making a uturn while someone else is turning left on a green arrow onto the same road. Even though u turns at lights are illegal here, I still have seen people almost crash in that scenario

Last edited by Ben73; 20-08-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2021, 09:53 PM   #43
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guy's
I was talking to a mate of mine on the phone a few weeks ago. He was cop for the NSW Police for thirty years but now retired.

I am not sure about other driving laws in Victoria but if the NSW HWP were chasing a stolen car thru Albury and it went over the bridge in Wodonga to Victoria the NSW Police have the power to stop that stolen car and book the driver even if his in Victoria.

Back in 2015 my wife and i were returning home back to NSW and we had been to Apollo Bay.
We got on to the motorway and my wife was driving we received a speeding fine in the mail when back in NSW for doing 5ks over the limit.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2021, 09:57 PM   #44
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All border cops can do that, hold them to local police arrive, then extradite. They can book for breaking NSW law, not Victorian.

Of course you will cop a fine doing the wrong thing in another State, I believe they now have access to interstate data base, not confirmed, but I believe so
Old 21-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #45
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

because they interfere with traffic entering via a slip road.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #46
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
because they interfere with traffic entering via a slip road.
From Vic roads Website "When making a U-turn you must give way to all other vehicles and pedestrians."

Transport NSW "When making a U-turn, you must: give way to vehicles and pedestrians"

Looking at both the driver making a U turn would have to give way to traffic entering from a slip road.

I am in Vic I would like to see U turns banned at Traffic Lights except for specific U-Turn lanes holds up too many vehicles making right turns.

An intersection near home with traffic lights has a "U-TURN MUST GIVE WAY" sign and the left turn lane which is part of the signalled intersection is approximately 20 meters south of the sign the drivers complete the U-Turn but do not give way to the traffic turning left under the green light.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2021, 11:39 PM   #47
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
From Vic roads Website "When making a U-turn you must give way to all other vehicles and pedestrians."

Transport NSW "When making a U-turn, you must: give way to vehicles and pedestrians"

Looking at both the driver making a U turn would have to give way to traffic entering from a slip road.

I am in Vic I would like to see U turns banned at Traffic Lights except for specific U-Turn lanes holds up too many vehicles making right turns.

An intersection near home with traffic lights has a "U-TURN MUST GIVE WAY" sign and the left turn lane which is part of the signalled intersection is approximately 20 meters south of the sign the drivers complete the U-Turn but do not give way to the traffic turning left under the green light.
This is why I'm glad U turns are not allowed at traffic lights in NSW. It would be annoying when the first car wanted to U turn at a busy intersection then everyone else behind who just want to turn right get stuck for another full light rotation
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2021, 12:32 AM   #48
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:

arr, but you have the dump *** hook turn.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2021, 02:44 AM   #49
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hook turns actually make a lot of sense

Trams run down the middle of the road, they have priority

Imagine 3 lanes, one for trams, one for left & right turners and one straight through between the trams and the 'turners'

By putting left turners and right turners in the left lane puts all the traffic that is stationary in one lane, through traffic uses the lane beside the trams leaving the left lane for the turners. In city Melbourne is like all major cities, narrow streets so it is a logical thing to do to keep cars and trams moving
4 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #50
roKWiz
Cabover nut

One quirky law that does exist in NSW which doesn't in Victoria......is if you spend 3 months or more in NSW in a year, it is required you have a NSW drivers License. I don't think other states enforce it.

Last edited by roKWiz; 22-08-2021 at 09:49 AM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #51
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
if their licence in USA or any other country you are good to go..
just follow state laws..

hire cars a private enterprise their rule's..
Does a P plate Lic come into it ? Maybe an open Lic is fine.

But could a P plate 15yo drive in Australia, I think not, because one has to be 17yo here to hold a Licence.
The law here is you must be 17yo.

I am sure that in the USA the States were one can get a Lic at 15 and a half yo can not drive in States that one must be 16 and same thing with States with must be 17yo.

Kids are being discriminated as to hire cars, an open licence should all that is needed and I know of places in Australia that have had all their hire cars being repaired or smashed up mainly by a people from one Country and due to Political Correctness one can not name them, but they do not have such vast distances and such must catch them out, or something ?
Years ago I was talking to the dude who ran the hire company out their and he was not happy at all, that his business was being destroyed but the company could not discriminate against such who were in fact destroying all their cars.

Not to mention another town nearby that have all the cop cars destroyed half the time, but we dare not mention who destroyed such as such as that comes under Politically Correctness so the facts and the truth are hidden from public under such a heading. so why can't 5 year olds have the right to drive ? it's discrimination !
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #52
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
One quicky law that does exist in NSW which doesn't in Victoria......is if you spend 3 months or more in NSW in a year, it is required you have a NSW drivers License. I don't think other states enforce it.
They do in force it QLD.
Maybe because we have many people from down south coming up here to stay, who goes to VIC to stay ? or the percentages who stay down their ?

A best mate came from VIC 1973 and he would rant on an on about how great VIC was and he went back to stay in 1990's ? and came back never to bother living down their ever again, not to mention speed cameras came out back then and he wrote into to the local QLD Papers anonymously what he thought about such coming up here and he got hounded by the police full on for speaking up about such. it was not that they had them but the dog cunning in how they were used that he objected to.
The next time he objected to such he stated his name in the paper.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Hook turns actually make a lot of sense

Trams run down the middle of the road, they have priority

Imagine 3 lanes, one for trams, one for left & right turners and one straight through between the trams and the 'turners'

By putting left turners and right turners in the left lane puts all the traffic that is stationary in one lane, through traffic uses the lane beside the trams leaving the left lane for the turners. In city Melbourne is like all major cities, narrow streets so it is a logical thing to do to keep cars and trams moving
Tram also carries 210 people in the case of our E Class tram, car carries 5

Also people on the other side of the road running reds when someone else is lined up to do a hook turn is a fun one.

There's also other crazy rules around trams, like you're supposed to actually stop when the tram in front of you does.

Turns out it lets off passengers, when I started working in Melbourne I wasn't aware you're supposed to stop when the tram does, it stopped in front of me so I just chopped it on the left lane in the Lebonator and people getting off the tram nearly walked off the tram into my driver side door

Or when I was driving about Adelaide, was wondering if I was allowed to drive on the tram tracks like you can here, or if you can turn right across King William Street in the CBD.

When getting off a tram, make sure you look before you walk out, you don't know whether Franco is on the road

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-08-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post