Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
Crapozo
Starter Motor

Default Paint, Gear, W and beyond the V8...

Interesting title isn't it?
Anyway i got a coupla simple simple questions

1. Is it street legal to paint graphics on your car? I see buisness cars do but not other cars (normal drivers). I think these are called, decals?.

2. I have asked this question before but i don't think you people understood me because i said how to change the gears. What i actually am asking is.
How would i go about changing the gear setup / gear ratio in a car?

3. I have heard about a W engine, what are the benefits of an engine like this and what does it look like?

4. Beyond V8's, i know there are V10, 12, 16's. With common sense it should be possible to have like V20's right?. What is the car engine with the most cylinders in history? Does having more cylinders provide more power but also more speed?
Outrages example: What would it be like if someone designed a car with a V40 engine?

Old 13-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

strange questions.....

As for the answers, well Im pretty sure that new veyron thing has a W engine, google that.

And I think Caddillac had a "Sixteen" concept car that had either a straight 16 or a V16, cant quiet remember.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

I know the W16 is two side by side V8's (VV), you can see how it makes a W.
Changing the ratios of your gears will either result in faster or slower acceleration, due to the different "lengths of your gears. If you have a gearbox that goes 80 in first and change it to a tighter ratio box, you may only get 59k's in first gear. If you went to a wider ratio box, you may get 100 out of first, but as you will soend a longer time out of the optimum rev range (where you make the most power), it will take longer to get there.
Old 13-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Crapozo
Starter Motor

I just looked at some pics of the cadillac 16, it looks very sweet.
About the gear and acceleration thing,
If all i want to do it change my engine so it would accelerate as fast as possible, how would i go about doing that?
Old 13-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

[1. Is it street legal to paint graphics on your car? I see buisness cars do but not other cars (normal drivers). I think these are called, decals?.
QUOTE]

Very few people actually paint graphics these days as vinyl is considerably cheaper and can be removed without damage to the paintwork. the obvious exception is that of airbrushing which i would consider more art than graphics.

Graphics are perfectly legal and are an extention of the personality of the owner

An example of simple graphics are pinstripes, the next step is larger cut graphics and the latest is full skins where every mm odf the surface is covered in the vinyl.

As for why you see more businesses with graphics most like me just consider it cheap advertising space,

Also depending on your startpoint a lot of graphics on private cars tend to be on cars labeled as RICE, But each to their own, the custom graphics on my GT are vinyl and to some probabily RICE as well. Thats life.
Old 13-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapozo
I just looked at some pics of the cadillac 16, it looks very sweet.
About the gear and acceleration thing,
If all i want to do it change my engine so it would accelerate as fast as possible, how would i go about doing that?

If you had say an i6 AU, and only want to change the gear box, and dont care about fuel economy, try a 4.11 ratio diff. Short gears means it will rev high at 100 clicks, thus chewing more fuel.
Old 14-04-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I would suggest having a look at www.howstuffworks.com and look up transmissions.

To change ratios in a car is not an easy task at all.

Threre is no simple answer to how fast you can accelerate by changing gearbox ratios as it depends on your diff ratio (assuming you have a rear wheel drive).

For example, you COULD change it so that you accelerate to 80Km's at best, but that could in turn also be the top speed you can achieve in this.

With selecting gear ratios, you have to select a happy median between acceleration, top speed, diff ratios, and how much revs your engine will be doing when you sit on 100k's an hour.

My opinion, you wanna just accelerate fast, buy a motor bike, more fun too, then it's easy to change the acceleration on that cause all you gotta do is change your cog!

Changing parts and settings on cars is no way as easy as it's made in movies or games. Unlike Gran Turismo (and others), you can't digitally select gear ratios, and unlike "The Fast and the Furious", well, where do I start?
I suppose it's much like action movies how they fire 20 bullets out of a single clip when in real life they only hold about 8 bullets max.

Unless your planing on spending big bucks changing ratios, do other mods, maybe even a turbo with a low boost setup, and keep your box as it is.

What car do you have anyway?

Big engines are around. Take a look at some Oil Tanker ship engines. They are massive!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #8
chief
FTF Club Moderator

The Cadillac Sixteen uses a V16. Back in the 30's they were an option of Caddy's back then. You could order a V16 from factory. Goes a long way in the mine is bigger than yours argument :

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 03:22 AM   #9
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

No problem with decals. There legal as there not offensive
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 03:28 AM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

Mercedes built a V24 engine based on the W140 S-Class in the 90's. Never went into production though.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapozo
Interesting title isn't it?

4. Beyond V8's, i know there are V10, 12, 16's. With common sense it should be possible to have like V20's right?. What is the car engine with the most cylinders in history? Does having more cylinders provide more power but also more speed?
Outrages example: What would it be like if someone designed a car with a V40 engine?
The weight and size of of a V20 or V40 would just be crazy for a street car, the engine bay would be longer than the rest of the car and unless made out of some super lightweight alloy the car would handle like a pig. The car would be the length of a stretch Limo but still with the seating capacity of a regular family car. These days with multi-valve overhead cam computer controlled variable valve timing you can get a smaller motor to go as good or better (and more fuel efficient) than a larger from a few years ago. So why would you bother with a V20, or God forbid, a V40? Good example is Falcon. AU1 XR8 had 185kw, current BF XT inline 6cyl has 190kw standard. The AU V8 was a 5lt pushrod 2 valve per cylinder whereas the BF 4lt 6cyl is double overhead cam with variable valve timing and 4 valves per cylinder.

A lot of people replace the V12 motor out of their Jags with V8s, much lighter and more powerful and less costly to maintain.

Rod Hadfield (owns Castlemaine Rod Shop in Victoria) built a show car 55 Chev with a 3000HP V12 Merlin aeroplane engine this is THE MOST POWERFUL road registered car in the world. It is not a daily driver by any means, just a car for shows, built basically because he can.

Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post