Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Question

Hi

Was wondering when things are priced at a shop how do you get things a bit cheaper just to save a few $$$ what have you's said and done and asked to try get cheaper price

And would you's get new shockers or springs from a shop or is some off a wreck ok as long as the wreck had new ones put on just before it got sent to wreckers

Guess racks same ok off a wreck if the wreck had rack replaced

And spose with rotors or calipers at front they'd also be ok off wreck if wreck had breaks done

Rubber brake hoses guess you'd probably want to go new so it's less likely to pop

And with a aircon compressor is one off a wreck ok if it looks clean and looks like it's been replaced? Condenser you'd want to go new as they're cheap enough or evaporator you'd want to go new as it's hard to get to

Power steering pump off a wreck guess would be ok if it had a sticker from suspension place to say the pumps been replaced hoses you'd want to go new

Does all above sound about right how did everyone get their parts new from shop or as new parts off wrecks that had parts replaced with new stuff so they weren't as old as cars

Thanks for any help and answers
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Question

Best to take it as it comes. And size up the seller at point of purchase. Some people do get offended, by haggling over price. Some don't. What is your best price. Can you do better for cash are some ways of getting into a price discussion. As I said just feel the situation out.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And would you's get new shockers or springs from a shop or is some off a wreck ok as long as the wreck had new ones put on just before it got sent to wreckers

Guess racks same ok off a wreck if the wreck had rack replaced

And spose with rotors or calipers at front they'd also be ok off wreck if wreck had breaks done

Rubber brake hoses guess you'd probably want to go new so it's less likely to pop

And with a aircon compressor is one off a wreck ok if it looks clean and looks like it's been replaced? Condenser you'd want to go new as they're cheap enough or evaporator you'd want to go new as it's hard to get to

Power steering pump off a wreck guess would be ok if it had a sticker from suspension place to say the pumps been replaced hoses you'd want to go new

Does all above sound about right how did everyone get their parts new from shop or as new parts off wrecks that had parts replaced with new stuff so they weren't as old as cars
Old 13-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thin about wreckers is they don't know how old the item is. The reason for this is most wreckers buy the car from the auctions.

Also remember parts can be cleaned and made to look new when they have been on the car for among time.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you went to a self serve wrecker and found a wreck with a very clean power steering pump or compressor or rack guess that'd mean they likely have been replaced

Is it worth getting a compressor power steering pump and rack from a wrecker if they look new or car has a sticker from a suspension place on pump or if the compressor looks cleaner than ones on other cars same with rack
Old 13-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor
Old 13-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

As a rule of thumb. Consumables eg, rotors, pads hoses ect. Buy new. But body panels, interior trims ect can be used. Mechanical parts such as calipers, diffs, engines ect. Are OK to be bought used. But remember used parts are not brand new and could be past their used by date.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is aircon pump ok off wreck if the wreck had the pump replaced at some point before it got sent there
Old 13-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Second hand parts are a risk. It may be good it may not.

Your not providing enough info for us to answer.

If in doubt buy new.

My best mate owns a wreckers and he is moving away from second hand parts because it is cheaper to buy and sell brand new after market parts.
Old 13-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a fair bit of roll the dice when buying some items from wreckers , sometimes they have been washed up and look in very good condition ...... like alternators for example with a 3 month warranty ,
been there done that , sometimes finding that expensive wrecker part lasted just a bit more than the wreckers warranty period, and then you have to do it all again .
2 downers in this scenario ,
1. you may have paid half or two thirds the price of a new part , and not long down the track you have to replace the part all over again .

2. the dodgey part may let go on you out in the sticks adding more cost .

so , for me i would think carefully about which parts i buy new and which i buy second hand , imo sometimes it is easier to just bite the bullet and buy the good stuff to start with and not worry about it for years to come ..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #11
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Aircon pumps/ compressors ideally need to be run all the time. As the seals dry and and then they leak. So the compressor might look good,and be fine to purchase. But you would then get it refurbished before use. A steering rack with no leaks, and the boots still intact will most probably be good to transfer straight to your car.
Old 13-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #12
Pilko FNQ

I can understand panels, and solid mechanical components however a lot of the items you are mentioning are not that expensive. If they fail early it is your time to replace again or $ at the mechanics. Remember poor man buys twice.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm the type of person who will try haggle the price of anything I possibly can.
Really depends what type of shop and what the item is really, are you specifically asking about negotiating at a wrecking yard, or just in general?

As already mentioned, don't even bother with used consumables like rotors and pads, though calipers are fine.

As for negotiating the price of other things in general, just ask if thats the best deal they can do. Worst case is they say no, best case you save money.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #14
AussieCJ7

always helps to have done your research and know the best prices around, if they are already best price less room to move if not then use that as a target to get to

And be really nice and fair about it, if you are aggressive in tone or being a dick about it then they wont move obvious but you would be surprised how many forget this
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #15
superyob
Banned

If a safety part, buy new...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #16
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'spose if ya need all that stuff............mite be time to git a nutha car..........
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I'm the type of person who will try haggle the price of anything I possibly can.
Really depends what type of shop and what the item is really, are you specifically asking about negotiating at a wrecking yard, or just in general?

As already mentioned, don't even bother with used consumables like rotors and pads, though calipers are fine.

As for negotiating the price of other things in general, just ask if thats the best deal they can do. Worst case is they say no, best case you save money.
I would have no problems at all using S.H rotors or pads or even belts if they were obviously in real good condition.After all the new rotors and pads are used as soon as you fit them and drive around the block
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #18
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You wouldn't want a old original ac pump but meant one that hadent long been on a car is that ok secondhand as long as it hasent long been fitted new by previous owner

How would you get your car to handle that little bit better and smoother even though they can still be good
Old 14-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
You wouldn't want a old original ac pump but meant one that hadent long been on a car is that ok secondhand as long as it hasent long been fitted new by previous owner

How would you get your car to handle that little bit better and smoother even though they can still be good
To make the car run smoother and better. Brand new parts all the way.

Using second hand parts may be cheaper but brand new parts have no wear and will run the smoothest.

Last edited by xisled; 14-09-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 14-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #20
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Double post
Old 15-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #21
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a firm believer in its a 2nd hand car it gets 2nd hand parts, but you need to be realistic,

As said above rotors n pads don't bother, even shocks I wouldn't bother with

Likewise AC stuff is expensive to service so I just use new stuff there as well, unless you have the gear to reclaim, evacuate and re-gas you risk wasting a lot of money to R&R a cheap second hand part.

Haggle all you like with wreckers, but remember A they need to make a living and B if you need to swap something over because it's faulty if you've been a dick they can make life difficult. As for self serve wreckers, I've been to them and I still do but u less it's something that other wreckers don't bother salvaging like clips and odd bits I won't use them. The generally are no cheaper than a conventional wrecker and you spend time dragging your tools there wondering around the yard trying to find what you want that hasn't been smashed by some dick before you then getting covered in **** taking it off then you get to the counter and they try and gouge you on price knowing that you've just done all the crap to get to the counter so you'll probably just pay.

I did that once for a power steer pump, his price at the counter was about $20 less than new, I did't buy it.

I once had a customer who wanted a rack fitted to his commodore I gave him the price for a reco rack, his reply was the sign board at pick n pay less was almost 1/2 that. I said I'm offering a reconditioned rack with a warranty not an unknown part, he replied that pick n Payless gave warranty, so I quoted up the cost of me sending a guy to the wreckers 1/2 travel, an hour to find and remove said rack, then the cost to R&R the one in his car.

It came out more expensive than just fitting a reco unit + the wrecker might warrant the part but I wasn't going to cover the cost of labour on his 2nd hand rack if it failed, where as if the reco one I SOLD him failed I would

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #22
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you get a ac pump off a car thats not a old original one thats been on a car only a short time is that type ok to buy
Old 15-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #23
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kid the systems been opened eg, it's just sitting on the shelf I wouldn't touch it, if you are there to see it degassing and removed, that's a call you have to make

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post