Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
Xr302
Starter Motor

Default Au xr8 351 windsor

G'day fellas

Just wondering if anyone has replaced a 302 with a 351? I want to use the original efi harness to run it and keep it looking as factory as possible.

Also I bought another pair of wheels yesterday with the idea that I would fit the biggest tyre under the rear for when required and change back to 245/45 when street driven.
What is everyone's experience with running different size tyres? Will all the faults/abs lights ect turn off when putting all the same tyres on again?

Cheers guys
Xr302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
ebgtjames
Need More Cubes!

Default Re: Au xr8 351 windsor

There's a few E Series out there with 51s in them, also just recently one went into a DF LTD, factory harness can be used no problem there.

This might help...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11256790

STREETBUILT Racing

1993 DC LTD
EB GT Drive Line!
ebgtjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgtjames View Post
There's a few E Series out there with 51s in them, also just recently one went into a DF LTD, factory harness can be used no problem there.

This might help...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11256790
Also ^^ This bloke went down that path as well.

What may be the differing factor may be the change from OBDI to OBDII wiring system.

But, really you are just changing the cubic capacity of the engine. The rest is staying the same. Obviously you will need a tune.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Xr302
Starter Motor

I just read through that link. His build went from 04/09-06/15 until he finally gave up and started talking about putting an xr6t motor in.
Not really a success story there.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Depends what you want.
A 347 stroker is a good thing and can make 450 ponies pretty easy.

A bigger block is only needed if you want much more.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 AM   #6
ebgtjames
Need More Cubes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr302 View Post
I just read through that link. His build went from 04/09-06/15 until he finally gave up and started talking about putting an xr6t motor in.
Not really a success story there.
Haha yeah I'd forgot about Tones problems, went about things in ways he probably shouldn't have, not a good example!

Ok, it's real easy and has been done and only requires a few modifications, basically a 51 Windsor will bolt straight into any Factory V8 E or A series Ford,

DF LTD,

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....386377&page=24

And my car, it had a 351 in it many years ago,

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1327800&page=5

There's a couple of success stories for you, not AUs but these will show you what was done, keep an eye out in the AU Workshop Builds Section, there's an AU LTD that'll be getting a 408 Windsor...

STREETBUILT Racing

1993 DC LTD
EB GT Drive Line!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To keep it looking factory you'll require a 351W Lightning lower intake (rare!) And a custom cam synchroniser to suit the 351W from someone such as Price Motorsport in the US. 351W engines are 28oz balance rather than the 50oz balance of your 302, so you'll need a suitable flexplate/flywheel and an AU balancer modifed to suit.

Bonnet clearance & headers will be a problem, but not impossoble to overcome. Be aware also that if you use the standard AU top end (cam, heads, intake, tb etc) then it isn't going to make any more power really than it did as a 302...

If it was me I'd build a 393/408 with a set of AFR 195cc heads and a Victor 5.8 intake.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why such small heads?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
Xr302
Starter Motor

Doesn't sound like to much of an issue anywhere. Would the ba bulge clear the inlet manifold? Which is where I'm assuming the bonnet clearance issues are?
Turns out I have a ford lightning lower inlet off a genuine svt motor, I bought nearly complete last year for for $1,400. Spun a bearing on the production line and was never fitted to a vehicle after that.
Would the upper part of the inlet have to be changed too for more power?
I also have two sets of gt40 heads. But was thinking something a bit better and possibly aluminium.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
ebgtjames
Need More Cubes!

Its not, I'd say a bonnet bulge would give you plenty of clearance, I had no clearance issues on my EB with the GT40 manifold or the Victor EFI thats on there now.

You've got a lower already so your laughing as that would have been the hardest part to source if your keen on keeping with the factory look, the explorer top will fit that lower as you probably know, depending on what heads you use will determine what manifolds required.

The AU I was talking about, he mentions using the Price Motorsport 351 Cam sync in post #664, you guys might be able to buy 2 and save on postage??

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...425101&page=23

Here's my first little 5.8 with SVO Alloy Heads and GT40 Manifold...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1327800&page=6

STREETBUILT Racing

1993 DC LTD
EB GT Drive Line!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #11
Xr302
Starter Motor

I might just fit the motor and see how it goes. I would rather not have the bonnet bulge.
Is there anything to gain in going from the upper inlet that is fitted to the tickford au11 xr8? I wish I had the upper tubular inlet off the lightning, they are sexy!
I'll probably just get in to the gt40 heads with a die grinder and fit those. If they will flow enough.

What is the limitations of these production blocks? It's a 1993 built roller block. I have heard the rollers aren't as strong as the old ones. My goal is 400rwhp.

I would also like to keep the 4speed auto if it is possible to build them this strong. I reckon the btr with some 4.11 diff ratios would make a very nice cruiser/toy.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #12
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You won't make 400rwhp with GT40Ps and an AU/Explorer upper intake, unless you put boost down its throat. If you want it looking standard then accept you're not going to see big power numbers but enjoy the torque the extra 49ci will give you. If you are serious about wanting 400+rwhp then you'll need to look at different heads and a better intake.

The 351W roller blocks are a lot stronger than the 302s, ebgtjames' old 351 short (now in an XC Falcon) has been put to the test, and reliably supported 660rwhp with the aid of a centrifugal blower.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #13
Xr302
Starter Motor

How far off the goal roughly would i be? Would more cubes help, or would the motor be choked by the intake? Im going to be doing alot of porting to the lower manifold and as much as I could to the upper..
I may have to change heads. Are there any good iron heads for me? Or is aluminium the only way to go?

I don't want to go down the force fed path. I really want the most power I can, out of a stock looking falcon.

That's good to know, 660rwhp. Heaps stronger than the 302 block!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #14
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're going to fall short by around 70-80rwhp.