Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #61
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default Re: Should I trade in my FPV BA mk2 GT or keep it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900dukess View Post
Thanks for everybody input

I have another option

Keep the GT
and use the money it would cost to buy a new ute and grab a BF XR8 ute or XR6 turbo ute as there seems lots around for sale (I do like the B series front end compared to FG).
Best of both worlds maybe?????
Do this.

Although BA-BF GT's are still relatively common they are at the low point of their value. Give it 5 years or so and they will begin to be sought after and value goes up accordingly. Even now it isn't easy to find one that has been looked after and not bastardised or flogged.

They are a mighty fine car and if I had the garage space would get one myself.

Should have kept the RTV Ute. Why did you sell it?

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #62
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
I don't understand the concept of "weekend cars", why not just have one really nice car you like and drive it everywhere.
To start off because I like too many cars, and cars have different uses.

Who wants to drive a 600rwhp Big Block Coupe without AC and a heavy duty clutch in peak hour traffic on a 40 degree day?? Or to work every day or on a three week inter state road trip with 4.11 gears??

For that I have my comfortable automatic 4x4 with climate control or work car.

Does not stop me wanting to enjoy the coupe on a week end.

Mostly drive my XB ute to places, but will opt for the car with AC for a lot of hot summer days.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #63
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re the original question.

Who knows, do what you like. If you love the BA keep it if not sell it.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #64
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
I don't understand the concept of "weekend cars", why not just have one really nice car you like and drive it everywhere.
I use to think that way until I got a ranger from work. I was previously sort running my F6 all the time which does more harm than good with fuel dilution, oil & condensation, moisture in exhaust.

Now I use the truck everyday and throw tools etc in the back, then some nights go for a blast in the F6. Going away this weekend to watch some car racing and will be driving the F6 down to Queenstown such a beautiful drive. However the F6 is no longer m daily and Im glad about it.

To the OP if you like your BA keep it, they have so much character. As much as I love the old mans FGII GTP it just lacks the character that the BA/BF GT series had. Up to you boss
Old 28-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #65
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The concept of a weekend car helps protect the one you like from all the idiots at shopping centers and other locations. Plus if you're a member of a car club weekend cruises are common and awesome!
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #66
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Pos. Burn it.
Nah, sorry can't help you. Good trade price though. Decisions decisions.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #67
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought about this some more, the BA GT, has already depreciated about as low as it will go if you keep it in good condition, I think a good condition BA GT with a 6 speed manual will be worth 20K any day of the week, and I don't think it will be worth any less than that in 5 or 10 years time.

If you like the car and get enjoyment out of driving it, or you simply enjoy the ownership experience of having a GT Falcon stored away in the garage keep it.

By trading it on a new ute, you are possibly trading a appreciating asset (likely in the long term) for a fast depreciating asset (a certainty).

Consider what the ute will be worth in 5-10 years time and consider what the GT will be worth in 5-10 years time and it will give you the answer.

If you trade it on a new ute then in 10 years time you may be like some of the guys here, who still regret selling their old XA or XB GT's.

I was in a similar situation, where I traded a mint XB GT with the lot like sunroof, A/C, Power Steer etc for an EL XR8 (excellent second hand XR8 manual), sold the XR8 a few year later for $5000. The same XB GT I owned resold on eBay for $39000 around the same time

Looking back I could have easily kept the XB GT financially but only sold it due to lack of space as I was living in a town house in Sydney.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #68
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Now I use the truck everyday and throw tools etc in the back, then some nights go for a blast in the F6. Going away this weekend to watch some car racing and will be driving the F6 down to Queenstown such a beautiful drive. However the F6 is no longer m daily and Im glad about it
I agree I found that using a nice car every day is the fastest way to not have it feel special any longer.

When I was driving my BF GT I also had a **** box Daihatsu Feroza I used to drive to work most days, and use for family duties such as picking kids up from school and battling shopping centre car parks.

Then may be once a week I used to take the GT to work, and was looking forward to the drive to and from work, or I would drive it on week ends and it would feel special.

It also stopped the GT getting damaged in day to day shopping centre battles and getting filthy when it would rain for days on end, it would stay in the garage nice and clean ready for the next sunny day while I drove the hack, and I would actually feel good knowing the GT was safe in the garage under it's car cover.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #69
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

find a GS 315 xr8 ute.........problem solved and you still have diversity between the cars

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #70
900dukess

Thanks for everybody's feedback

I have decided to keep my GT!

Now to find a another ute or trailer

Has anybody got any experience of fitting a towbar to a BA GT that has a twin exhaust system (does the extra left hand rear tailpipe mount which is welded to chassis interfer with towbar).

If a major issue might just have to use Wife's Mazda which has a towbar.
900dukess is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #71
900dukess

Pity I'm not in SA as this one almost ticks every box

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11446845
Old 28-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #72
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900dukess View Post
Thanks for everybody's feedback

I have decided to keep my GT!

Now to find a another ute or trailer

Has anybody got any experience of fitting a towbar to a BA GT that has a twin exhaust system (does the extra left hand rear tailpipe mount which is welded to chassis interfer with towbar).

If a major issue might just have to use Wife's Mazda which has a towbar.
I can't answer your tow bar question but if I was to put one on my GT-P I wouldn't be cutting up the original FPV bumper. Put it in storage and buy a cheap fiberglass replica or one off an XR and cut that up. Good, original FPV bars are getting real scarce.

Good decision to keep it BTW.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #73
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sell the Mazda and get a ute or tow with the Mazda. Congrats on keeping the GT one day you will be glad you did.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #74
900dukess

I picked up my "new ute" today.

Well a used BF series 2 XR6 turbo, 6 speed auto. Yes I wanted a auto.
It's a well maintained but used un-modified example travelled just over 100K.
And same colour as my GT and has had the same colour stripes fitted as my GT.
Once I get it cleaned up, and the GT cleaned up I will try and get a picture posted.

I drive my GT to have a look at the ute and when I got back home I was glad I kept it.

I took my 5 year son for a quick run around the block in the ute and he said, it's nice dad but doesn't sound as fast as the GT.
Old 31-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #75
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good sensible decision

I must admit I was thinking " trade a GT for a 6 cyl ute?, thats about as desireable as trading my balls for a purse"

Reckon the torque of the turbo 6 would be top trailer puller if the ute was full

Look forward to a photo - collectable hp !
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #76
Cobrajet03
Starter Motor

Raises a good point. With the demise of the falcon what are the future classics gonna be? Thoughts?
What should we be parking behind the shed on a maybe?
Cobrajet03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #77
Swordie

How does ute feel to drive compared to GT?
Swordie is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #78
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Been watching this thread with interest as I have thought about selling my BF M2 GT.

My dilemma was solved when I took it for a nice drive

DON'T trade it - ENJOY it
Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #79
900dukess

A quick comparison between my Ute & Sedan

FPV GT 6 Speed Manual Sedan. Drives like a GT should (well the way I think a GT should) as it has minor modes. It has a fantastic exhaust note (Herrod twin system and CAI), and is very "lazy" down low in the RPM but also easy to just put around in until you stomp on the throttle and let the revs increase and it pulls like a freight train.
The suspension on my GT is also modded with a full Shockworks coil over system and I have it set up a little on the firm side and it handles fantastic for such a big heavy Sedan and always feels sure footed on the road and just asks for more corner speeds through the country roads.
The GT is a also a great Highway cruising and eats up the longer trips with ease and has awesome overtaking abilities (just got to watch the speedo as before you know it you are approaching "Hoon" speeds).
I also get decent fuel economy, well for a large V8 sedan but it doesn't break the bank for a long trip.
As a everyday car it can be a bit of a bugger with lower ground clearance with the front bumper (note I have the coil overs set up at Standard ride height) and just have to be careful on tricky driveways etc.
Also as a everyday car I hate having to park in shopping centres etc and always look for a good park away from other cars, but this is a personal thing.
The GT always buts a huge smile on my face when you can stretch its legs and has been ultra reliable since I have owned it (about 4 years) and hasn't needed anything except usual maintenance items.

The XR6 turbo ute 6 speed auto.
Well the first thing you notice when jumping in the ute is the lower spec ICC compared to my BA mike GT and the other lower spec items, however it does have partial leather seats which are comfy and momo wheel (its a magnet spec ute).
One thing for sure it doesn't have the character of the GT (the GT has a nice rumble at idle) but the ute is so smooth to drive with the 6 speed auto.
The ute just does everything with ease, and once the revs come up it also pulls well, but just not easy as the GT.
I personally think the auto trans with the barra turbo are a fantastic match as the auto keeps the engine up in the happy zone and like the GT you have to watch the speedo and the auto seems to find the right gear every time.
The ute is much easier as a everyday car especially in traffic with the auto box.
Handling wise the ute isn't a match for the GT, but its still ok and with the solid rear axle. I am sure the Ute would be a lot easier to drift if that was your cup of tea.
I am not as "precious" about parking spots with the ute, but still careful, but again that is a personal thing.

Overall I would be happy with either, however the GT just has that little x factor which makes it such a appealing drive for me and lucky enough to own both. However the ute has the ability to cart a heap of crap around in the back.

However would I sell the GT, nah don't think so. Would I sell the ute, yes but only to upgrade to a later turbo ute!.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #80
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great thread and good decision mate.