Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #91
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Now takes only 24 weeks average wage to buy a Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Yes as you may recall two different jobs, I would be an idiot if I had not moved forward in the world and took opportunities to earn more money when they presented, one was working in a factory doing 38hrs per week sweeping floors, taking rubbish to the tip, loading and unlading trucks etc etc what ever needed to be done the next was working as a trade labourer for a rigger at Clyde refinery doing 60hrs a week (6x10hr days), 2hrs OT daily pus 10hrs OT on Saturdays before getting my own tickets. and changing jobs again, and again ,and again.

I also remember earning $74 per week back in 1985, but fortunately I did not stay at Franklins stacking shelves on a Thursday night for the rest of my life, I looked for opportunities and moved on.

I think there is only one person in Lala land here, and that would be the one with short memory.
Obviously a different job, but a labourer on an oil rig would not have cleared 1,500 per week in '92, let alone in metro Sydney. They don't earn that 25 years later in Sydney either. On building sites 7-5.30, 6 days a week is the standard, has been for 15 years, because they need the O/T to make ends meet, close a site on Saturday and there is a mutiny because they rely on O/T, unskilled labour will clear $1,000/week give or take depending on classification $1,200 absolute tops , it would have been les than half that 25 years ago.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #92
superyob
Banned

In the early 90s I did a lot of overtime on afternoon shifts as a diesel mechanic and came nowhere near XB's figures, nor did I ever hear of such sums...
Old 11-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #93
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Obviously a different job, but a labourer on an oil rig would not have cleared 1,500 per week in '92, let alone in metro Sydney. They don't earn that 25 years later in Sydney either. On building sites 7-5.30, 6 days a week is the standard, has been for 15 years, because they need the O/T to make ends meet, close a site on Saturday and there is a mutiny because they rely on O/T, unskilled labour will clear $1,000/week give or take depending on classification $1,200 absolute tops , it would have been les than half that 25 years ago.
Well that is what was going into my bank, so may be they were paying me wrong, skilled workers were on a lot more I was only working as a TA at the time.

Well may be the **** fell out of the construction industry, last job I had was 35/hr plus vehicle for skilled workers, labourers walking off the street were getting $25/hr, new workers straight out of school or off the street were getting $20, then upgraded to $25 as soon as they proved their worth. and I thought that was pretty poor hence leaving the construction industry.

Missus was clearing $1500 per week last year just tagging bails and sweeping floors at the local Cotton Processing Plant, 100% no skill or experience required, and is looking at going back soon when the season starts up again, yes it's only 4-6 month a year but the $$ are there.

If you have workers working a 60hr week clearing $1000-1200 tops you have some real suckers there, as that would probably work out at about $12 or $13 an hour, if you consider penalty rates so I think you are in LaLa land,

Award wage in 2015 for a labourer first day on the job was $19.72/hr, still not great considering my boss was paying that back in 2005.

People need to make their own lives and look for opportunities, if I spend my life working for minimum wage I would probably be stuck in a rented house paying someone else's mortgage off.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 11-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #94
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well may be the **** fell out of the construction industry, last job I had was 35/hr plus vehicle for skilled workers, labourers walking off the street were getting $25/hr, new workers straight out of school or off the street were getting $20, then upgraded to $25 as soon as they proved their worth. and I thought that was pretty poor hence leaving the construction industry.

Umm, weren't you on some crappy flat rate, no holiday agreement with that ******, and if he had no work you sat at home and did not get paid (not sure how that was legal for full time workers, I'm no expert on EBAs), so going from your numbers $25 x 60 = $1,500 /week gross, pay tax, but you get no sickies, no holiday, that works out under $1,000 in the hand and would be left stranded if he had no work for 3 or 4 days. So that would work out way less than base award anyone else got.

And old mate boss would not be on our sites as we do full EBA audit on every subby to ensure they are paying their blokes properly.

Did you even get super? or was that included in your "flat rate"?

Yeah that was a pretty crap wicket and likely not legal.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #95
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
So you'd be more than happy to purchase a used vehicle from me sight unseen (they offer "free transport" from Perth) without either its registration number or its odometer reading being disclosed? Seriously?

BTW, I have a cheap waterfront block for sale.

Not from you! A dealer? Maybe. There isn't a conspiracy in everything. It's an add for a falcon with 1 minor detail missing
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #96
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
You might be right, I have not changed jobs for around 8 years now.

You just need to move out of your comfort zone if you want to change jobs for more money. I would have though auto electricians would be on more money.

Last time I worked in the construction industry was about 8-9 years ago I was on $35/hr, plus $25per day site allowance, plus a work car/ute/truck to take home every day and drive to site, plus a mobile phone, plus overtime when ever I wanted it.

People out here earn good money and more often than not get houses and vehicles provided as part of the deal. Local Cotton Processing Plant is starting to hire now, even the lowest **** kicker will take home $1400 per week, with supervisors and skilled trades getting a lot more than that. We get people coming up from Sydney and down from Brisbane every year for the season to work.

Some of you people remind me of my father in law, spending his days complaining how everyone earned more than him but never moved from his crap job paying minimum wage.
To move around for seasonal work is a no no for me, I'm not a gypsy & believe in a stable environment for myself & family.

To be quite honest I'm on good money for what I do, always have been with my qualifications, just lucky I guess for me. but seriously not every one is going to be in the position of having high paid jobs due to various reasons of their education opportunities & their abilities to gain certain qualifications, though no fault of their own with their education abilities, just a sad reality but a true statement.

Another sad reality is there are not that many well paid jobs out there for every one as you speak of, if there was we all would be in an ideal Utopia existence.

To be honest I think anyone would advance themselves in employment if the opportunity became available.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #97
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I'm not sure where we got off track but it's irrelevant. Thread closed.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Closed Thread