Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I got a good idea, make a product that the public actually wants, then maybe you'll see a reflection in sales.

Raising Tarriffs is a stupid idea, restricting choice.

But hey, Ford is making a product even though it falls down the sales ladder anyway, just keep doing this.
Old 27-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
The reduction of the import tariff by John button was the beginning of the end for our car industry . The manufacturers warned of this,but the thinking was to break the monopoly of the local product and increase the quality.
Now that imported product is cheaper because of lower tariffs and the aussie dollar is good more of us can afford to look past our local offerings.Is this bad ? Probably for the workers involved,but unless the local guys acknowledge the trends of the market ,and it appears they may be now,the industry as we know it will change.
Business is about bottom lines not emotion,unfortunately...
On the other hand if Ford/Holden were not forced to compete with the outside world the falcadore would be a mere shadow of what it is today.
Old 27-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
The manufacturers warned of this,but the thinking was to break the monopoly of the local product and increase the quality.
The manufactures agreed to the button plan. The government talks to these companies all the time.
Old 27-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #34
stang65
FPRJET

FORD and HOLDEN both need to lift their game, the goverment is to blame with import tarriffs , imports should cost more to bring in and be priced above the aussie models of the same specs the difference going to the goverment to further invest in the auto industry, but the Aussie products also need to improve thier quality as well as thier warranties and service. Australia had the fastest four door car in the world and then we hit the supercar scare and we went backwards. We can compete on world level but then if people only bought AUSTRALIAN CARS THE goverment would miss out on a lot of taxes.
Old 27-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #35
Chopped
as in chopped

" And if you're the best, the BMWs, the Mercedes, the Mazdas, Hondas and Suzukis will use you. "

Lol
Old 27-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #36
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Who employed all the people put out of work when guns were banned in 1996?
Government?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 27-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #37
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
That buys the local manufacturing industry about $8 billion/year worth of products for domestic and export.
On top of the tax that Ford, GM and Chrysler buy power and pay tax, their suppliers also pay tax and so do all their employees. The people who buy those vehicles pay GST on them and also have them serviced locally.

There are a lot of hidden benefits to a local car industry, the government knows this and is tipping in a few dollars to get a whole lot more back...

mmmmmm whilst I dont have the exact figures, I would be hard pressed to beleive an industry that only made 223,000 cars in 2009, and from all accounts include up to 70% imported components into the cars, would contribute $8 billion dollars to the economy. 8 billion / 223000 x 30%. To achieve that magical mark, the manufacturers would need to sell each car they are making for approx $115000. If you mean they sell $8 billion of product each year, you may be close, but its business 101 to try and sell things at a higher price than it costs to make. Not just acheive turnover. By your reasoning, we would be far better to increase the crime rate, as locking someone up cost taxpayers $100,000 per year, which is then added onto our GDP.

Nissan, Mitsubishi, Renault, Mazda, Suzuki (or whoever own the distribution rights in australia) also pay taxes. In fact wouldnt one asume that 86% (imported) of the cars bought in australia, contribute alot more in GST than the 14% of locally made cars (who are often bought by government agencies, which are excluded from paying GST).

If the government recieves more back from the local car manufacturing industry than it hands out, then wouldnt it be far better for the government to exempt these companies from paying taxes (or lower their taxes) , rather than taxing them and then giving money back by way of subsidies / rebates. The simple answer is lowering a tax on a company that runs at a deficit has no benefit. You then have to resort to sudsidies and rebates.

Doesnt really matter anyhow, if the coalition get in with the assistance of the three independant yokels, its bye bye subsidies and bye bye australian car industry. After all, you cant blame the yokels for wanting to support the 140,000 australian farmers, instead of the supporting a small number of people in the car indusrty.
Old 27-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
mmmmmm whilst I dont have the exact figures, I would be hard pressed to beleive an industry that only made 223,000 cars in 2009, and from all accounts include up to 70% imported components into the cars, would contribute $8 billion dollars to the economy. 8 billion / 223000 x 30%. To achieve that magical mark, the manufacturers would need to sell each car they are making for approx $115000.
Including vehicles exported, there's over 300,000 vehicles produced in this country,
their combined value is close on $8 billion.

Quote:
Doesnt really matter anyhow, if the coalition get in with the assistance of the three independant yokels, its bye bye subsidies and bye bye australian car industry. After all, you cant blame the yokels for wanting to support the 140,000 australian farmers, instead of the supporting a small number of people in the car indusrty.
I think you're very misinformed on the opposition's view of the local car industry,
Howard was in power for around 10 years and never considered dismantling or winding back assistance.

Last edited by jpd80; 27-08-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 28-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #39
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Including vehicles exported, there's over 300,000 vehicles produced in this country,
their combined value is close on $8 billion.

I think you're very misinformed on the opposition's view of the local car industry,
Howard was in power for around 10 years and never considered dismantling or winding back assistance.

Damn JPD, i guess when i look at the following link
http://www.fcai.com.au/sales/monthly-production-volumes

and it says 223000 cars produced for 2009 in australia, then something must be astray. So if you only produce 223,000 in a year, it would seem nigh impossible to sell locally and export 300,000 cars a year.

I dont recall seeing John Howard on the electoral lists. I do recall seeing Joe Hockey on the lists. Current shadow treasurer, and one just has to google coalition car industry assistance, to see what Joe Hockeys veiws are on the matter
Old 28-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #40
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yeh because you can't do that with a 4WD.......
suzuki dont make 4wd's they make awd's
Old 28-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

and it says 223000 cars produced for 2009 in australia, then something must be astray. So if you only produce 223,000 in a year, it would seem nigh impossible to sell locally and export 300,000 cars a year.

I dont recall seeing John Howard on the electoral lists. I do recall seeing Joe Hockey on the lists. Current shadow treasurer, and one just has to google coalition car industry assistance, to see what Joe Hockeys veiws are on the matter
OK, it looks like I've double counted Toyota's exports.

So let's get to the core of what you're saying, you think the Australian vehicle manufacturing industry
is a waste of time, propped up by successive governments and needs to be scrapped?

If the above is true, then why don't Ford, Holden and Toyota just fold up their tents and import vehicles...

Why don't all the people here just go and buy Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta and call it a day....
Old 28-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #42
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Junk cars from a joke manufacturer. They should stick to making bikes.
Old 28-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #43
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
suzuki dont make 4wd's they make awd's
Suzuki Grand Vitara
-full-time 4WD with selectable center differential lock and low range transfer case

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 28-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

and it says 223000 cars produced for 2009 in Australia, then something must be astray. So if you only produce 223,000 in a year, it would seem nigh impossible to sell locally and export 300,000 cars a year.
I took too long to edit my post above but you are using the very subdued 2009 figures
to prove your point, annual production figures previous to 2009 were all above 300,000
and while 2010 production won't match 2008, it's well in front of last years 223,000 figure
and could be closer to 300,000 than last years low ball number.

Please keep an open mind when counting out the local industry, it's turning a corner and
gives us the kinds of cars not seen anymore in the rest of the world. So depending
on what Ford decides, the I-4 Ecoboost Falcon and Diesel Territory could become an
interesting source of variety both here and perhaps some nearer RHD countries at first
but who knows what is possible from there on....

Last edited by jpd80; 28-08-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 28-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #45
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just goes to prove you don't have to have a long neck to be a goose . Try towing a 30 foot boat or a caravan or even a decently loaded 9 x 5 box trailer behind anything in the Suzuki range .
Old 28-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #46
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Nikked]Suzuki Grand Vitara
-full-time 4WD with selectable center differential lock and low range transfer case

And nowhere near enough power or torque to drag an old lady off a tin **** pot .
Old 28-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #47
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Suzuki can kiss my proverbial. They make small cars which don't appeal to me, and frankly I'll never forgive them for the amount of rollovers their crappy vitara had. Lost a couple of mates who were driving one of those death boxes. What did they model the dynamics of those things on, the Robin Reliant?
The boss of Suzuki Aust deserves to be hung up by his goolies and flogged for his stupid remarks. Someone should inform him that when his parent company in Japan eases restrictions on trading and tarriffs, then he may be in a position to make a valid point. Until then, STFU rice farmer.

Quote: