Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #31
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lancer first service

Always having done my own services for many years before the 15000 change intervals became the "norm" I read the fine print which classed stop start driving as "severe service" necessitating shorter change intervals.

My drive of a day has stop start and some 80km zones in it, after 5000 km my oil is black. The colour change I am led to believe is contaminants from wear and the combustion process.
Quality oil and filters plus 1/2 hour in time is relatively cheap.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #32
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mitsi has now done over 2k. Going to dump the oil & refill plus do a filter.
Just need to check with the dealer for weight as the the manual is vague.
Reads that it can run 20/50w.
Would have thought that ios to heavy for a "modern" engine ?
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #33
STINKY NINJA
Banned

STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just toddling in to the local Mitsubishi dealer with our Triton for the BIG "big" service at 90,000km and also at the same time get the timing chain done (due at 100,000). They do all the fluids and oils, do the valve clearances, and clean injectors as well.

Taking a crisp wad of hundreds with me...a total of $2020 to be precise...

Ouch...at least after that the excellent five year warrantee is up and I start doing it all myself...

And owners of other makes can stop laughing, as it's not just Mitsubishi...Owning any modern car can be a massive kick in the bum for certain services...which is why I like that old '82 Celica sitting in the garage beside it...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #35
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Just toddling in to the local Mitsubishi dealer with our Triton for the BIG "big" service at 90,000km and also at the same time get the timing chain done (due at 100,000). They do all the fluids and oils, do the valve clearances, and clean injectors as well.

Taking a crisp wad of hundreds with me...a total of $2020 to be precise...

Ouch...at least after that the excellent five year warrantee is up and I start doing it all myself...

And owners of other makes can stop laughing, as it's not just Mitsubishi...Owning any modern car can be a massive kick in the bum for certain services...which is why I like that old '82 Celica sitting in the garage beside it...
Timing chains normally don't need doing that early - triton might be running a belt ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #36
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I remember being amazed when we picked up the G6E and the service guy said...when I noticed it didn't have an auto transmission dipstick...that the oil "was good for the life of the car"...
My response...?
r?
What he really meant was it would probably milkshake the trans before the oil needed replacing anyway...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #37
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2011G6E Modern cars run forever with no need for changing plugs, adjusting the points, timing etc. Just get in and drive.
That's why I wondered whether 20-50w oil is too heavy ?
Mitubishi Magnas also require timing chain/belts to be replaced at 100k.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post