Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default salt

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-1...idents/6465888

I can see it now:

"wipe off 5 (grams)"
"only a little bit salty. you bloody idiot"
"stay salt free - stay alive" as a surround on your dinner plate.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: salt

Nice find OP!

I've always loved salt. I used to cook with heaps, then put it on everything. About 2 years ago I went to the Dr for a check-up, and in his broken English told me ''blood pressure high. Come back in 2 weeks, if it's still high I will put you on medication.'' I thought stuff that, I knew it was my life-style.

Anyway, to avoid going on medication I dug around on the internet for reputable websites regarding High-Blood-Pressure. Not including HBP being hereditary, most of those websites had excessive salt as the Number-One cause. Long story long, I cut my intake back by about 70-80% and the next time I went back my reading was fine. I noticed the difference too. Wasn't drinking as much fluids, my head was a little clearer and the big bonus that will fly under the radar is.....less cravings for sugar!!!! What's the first thing you usually do if you're eating something salty? Straight for the soft-drink.

What people fail to grasp is that most of the processed foods, and generally foods in a Western Diet, are literally jam-packed with fats, sugar, flavour-enhancers(high in sodium), preservatives and SALT. It makes food taste better and gives them an extra shelf-life.

The Silent killer. It's always been tricky to recognise how much we consume. A salad roll for lunch can be healthy, but almost as un-healthy as a hamburger with the lot, depending what you have on it.

Bread Roll
Butter
Ham/salami ( most cold-cuts ), some Tuna's etc
Cheese
And any condiment/s you chose all have significant amounts of salt in them. And to make that list even worse, we ask for extra ''salt'' well some people do.

Anyway, regardless of age/gender we should all get regular check-ups and take it from there.

Last edited by CoupeKing; 13-05-2015 at 05:13 PM.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I dont have any salt on anything. Not even Fish and chips.
Old 13-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Anyone with any Mediterranian herritage, we're the worst for this because we live on white breads, processed meats like Salami, Capocollo, Prosciutto and Grana Padano cheese
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
brennan.

Ah so you guys are getting the "salt is bad" news. At this point in time, here in NZ, we're getting the "sugar is bad" news. Its hard to know exactly what to blindly follow along with week to week.

A nice balance of the two would be great, I think it has been called "moderation" in the past, but that really is untested theory and could very well be a myth.. it does sound pretty far-fetched.

having too much of ANYTHING (minus the obvious things) can be bad for you, even water. I concede it is difficult at times to eat healthy when all the supermarkets sell the same processed and packaged mush packs sprinkled with MSG and designed to prey on our desire for quick easy meals among our busy lives.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everything is bad if you have too much, even too much air and too much water is bad for you.

Yes believe it, even too much sex is bad for you (a mate once told me, he used to hide at my house as his GF was a nympho and it was killing him). Even though it's a theory I would like to test one day.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan. View Post
Ah so you guys are getting the "salt is bad" news. At this point in time, here in NZ, we're getting the "sugar is bad" news. Its hard to know exactly what to blindly follow along with week to week.
When you're hungover at a mates place celebrating his first baby (his wife was busy in hospital, so it was up to us) and you put 2 spoons of salt in the morning coffee instead of sugar. It's bad !!
Old 13-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Yes believe it, even too much sex is bad for you (a mate once told me, he used to hide at my house as his GF was a nympho and it was killing him). Even though it's a theory I would like to test one day.
Me too ... Got a phone number lol.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2015, 10:58 PM   #9
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Anyone with any Mediterranian herritage, we're the worst for this because we live on white breads, processed meats like Salami, Capocollo, Prosciutto and Grana Padano cheese
True this. But you have red wine, olive oil and heaps of seafood too. Probably helps balance everything out.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #10
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Despite western societies desire to do our thinking for us, I think it is suffice to say that Healthy does NOT always, 100 percent equate to Happiness.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
Trump
bitch lasagne

Eat fresh, unprocessed food and one won't have to worry about salt, sugar or any other perceived nasty. Such a diet is full of nutrients, minerals (yes sodium chloride is a vital mineral) and vitamins and removes the need and craving for added sugar and salt.

Edit: Damo, shut up
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #12
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
You need to try hiding at his place mate
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Eat fresh, unprocessed food and one won't have to worry about salt, sugar or any other perceived nasty. Such a diet is full of nutrients, minerals (yes sodium chloride is a vital mineral) and vitamins and removes the need and craving for added sugar and salt.

Edit: Damo, shut up
Thats why we all bow out in our 60s after picking up diabetes in there somewhere along the line

Wogs man, they either die early or live too damn long.

Though my great grandma made it to 96 years old, she used to smoke like a chimney in her younger days, then later on preferred to sit on the couch just watching what ever came on TV, ate fast food all the time, put salt on everything she ate before even tasting it.

Then someone fed her someone elses meds in the aged care facility and she died.

Luck of the draw IMO, when your time is up your time is up.

Seen people live for a long time, seen people bow out very early.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-05-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Luck of the draw IMO, when your time is up your time is up.
That just about sums it up