Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #31
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: VG Valiant 2 door

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Was always a Ford fan but a mate owned a Chrysler by Chrysler, had a 440 Magnum and sat on thin jellybean mags. That thing used to spit fire!

Man I love that shape.

I agree, but the ratios are what sets the eras apart
I'd love to get hold of one of these!!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #32
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Keep posting up pics of those old coupes, that Fairlane and Chysler are to die for.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #33
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even the names sound great with the classics, be it model or the engine. Like that pic posted had a ''440 Magnum'', just sounds intimidating, almost makes me feel insecure. Same goes with our muscle from all players. Pontiac's 'The Judge' always made me laugh.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #34
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Even the names sound great with the classics, be it model or the engine. Like that pic posted had a ''440 Magnum'', just sounds intimidating, almost makes me feel insecure. Same goes with our muscle from all players. Pontiac's 'The Judge' always made me laugh.

Not sure if you are being ironic, but "The Judge" moniker came from Laugh-In comedy show sketch.

BTW: 440 Magum was Dodges version ..440 SuperCommando (Plymouth) 440 TNT (Chrysler)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #35
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I'm keen on old cars with modern driveline, even keep the old engine but modernise it with EFI in either batch fire or sequential, wasted spark or coil on plug ignition systems and a manual trans with 5 or 6 gears so you can run a fairly short diff ratio comfortably.
You'd love a Sprint then Big Damo. It's both old and newish.
Old 29-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #36
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I was out and about in Browns Plains this morning when a metallic emerald green VG Valiant 2 door rumbled passed me. In total awe, I followed this beast for a few blocks and pulled up next to it at a set of lights so I could give the occupants the thumbs up. I then went about my business. Once I had finished my business in Browns Plains I headed home on the Mt Lindsay highway and drove past a line of what I assume to be Ford's latest and greatest. To me, although they were Fords, they might as well have been a queue of wardrobes for all the notice I took.

While this is not an interesting story in itself, I can make the following observations based on the roughly 130 mechanics students I teach in years 10 to 12, to back up my point of view. My students:will always argue about which latest and greatest is the fastest:choose a Nissan Skyline to race on Xbox: absolutely drool over old American or Aussie muscle.

I think the auto stylists of the late 50s to the early 70s got it right in a way that will never be repeated again...
This is all so true Superyob. I'm raising Gen Z kids at the moment and they (and friends) are all muscle fans, and have said to me exactly your last quote - that the cars from 50's to 70's had the best styling. GTA5 is their version of the XBox/Playstation rally cars that Gen Y loved, and they have supercars and muscle, nothing else, in the garage. So it's going to back to my youth in the 1990's when LC, XA, VG, VH, HQ etc were pennies in the dollar to buy and fun to own for the future. Kind of puts the whole 'linear progression' thing on its head. They've also asked why no one makes cars styled like that with modern safety and engine tech.
Old 29-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #37
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Not sure if you are being ironic, but "The Judge" moniker came from Laugh-In comedy show sketch.

BTW: 440 Magum was Dodges version ..440 SuperCommando (Plymouth) 440 TNT (Chrysler)
Cheers for the info. I wasn't being ironic. I just pictured someone waiting at the lights and hearing a rumble, then looking over and seeing 'The Judge'
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #38
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The coupe picture I wanted to place in my post was the same colour as my mates, but the picture was way too large for this thread and was unsure how to resize.

This is the link of the pic I wanted to post:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Chrysler_by_Chrysler_CH_Coupe.jpg

Shape does look the business in white too though!
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #39
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You know a car has great lines when it looks hot in white.
Old 30-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #40
Sioso
irregular member

This is one older car I would love to own even though it is far from standard:

http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=52765
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #41
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
The coupe picture I wanted to place in my post was the same colour as my mates, but the picture was way too large for this thread and was unsure how to resize.

This is the link of the pic I wanted to post:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Chrysler_by_Chrysler_CH_Coupe.jpg

Here you go.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #42
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Here you go.

As an example of how these cars were viewed back in the late seventies and into the eighties, I remember people being just about unable to sell them...the Valiant coupe was just seen as looking "heavy and ungainly". They weren't wanted. People wanted Chargers, and even the four door models were seen as better balanced in design than the coupe. I can remember passing over one in about 1985 when I was looking for a car. I just didn't like the shape.

Now of course when you look back you realise they are a great design, and really stand out. And that's probably why there's so few around now.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #43
superyob
Banned

Yes, they were about as popular as pork chops in the synagogue but I always thought they looked cool...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 02:06 AM   #44
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX310 View Post
And a 2 door VG Pacer just came up for sale, might be a sign.............

http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/130017
a mate had one of those about 30 years ago, it was in pretty beat up condition, but it went well for a 3 slotter, it was a fun car .

i used to get a ride to work in a not all that old(about 10 year s) totally standard poverty pack xw falcon, 3 on the tree factory, off white, and it was good car , even bog stock the old 3.6 falcon 6 used to go alright, the bloke that owned it was a front end mechanic and a good bloke, (hello Kevin ).

The old cars where much better in a lot of ways than people these days give them credit for.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #45
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a sandblasted Charger body on a tilt tray this morning heading south on South rd.
Hopefully another good looker being put back on the road.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #46
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought an unlicenced green VG coupe in '94 for $845 as a young fella, 245 column shifter, fixed it up then got the special permit to drive it about 150kms out to the farm where I could use it as a 'farm rocket'. It had been driven down from Darwin in a real 'fear and loathing' type run by 3 guys who had left the floors covered in bullet cartridges and beer bottles. I didn't care - it looked so cool!

The day approached and my girlfriend took a tow rope and her 253 WB ute to tow the old Val when it would inevitably die on the way out.

Then something amazing happened, the coupe with it's 245 left the V8 ute in the dust for the whole trip! I loved that drive, no licence plates, bomb of a car, every time a road train went past the windscreen wipers were blown right up to the top of the screen and I had to turn them on to bring them back down.

This is as close to the Road Warrior as I've ever done in my life. Only in the '90's... Awesome fun, bring on the Wasteland!