Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2006, 02:41 AM   #1
XR6Dan
Why??

Default Mixing Cleaners

Can you mix cleaning products from different manufacturers?

I am putting together a kit for my new car, and trolling through these forums, this is the list I've come up with:

- Megs Soft Wash Gel with lambs wool mitt
- Megs Quik Clay
- Autoglum Super Resin Polish
- Autoglum Extra Gloss Protection
- Megs Quick Detailer

Question is: Is it better to have all the products from one manufacturer or is mixing them OK?

XR6Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 02:51 AM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi and Welcome XR6Dan,
There is no drama's mix and matching, just use good quality products.

If it is a new ( of the showroom car you wont need the quick clay up front.

i would suggest some window clnr some microfibre cloths and MF chamois, trye shine, trim detailer.

all optional and your choice.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Finally found a meguiars product that i don't really like.
Interior quick detailer..
For $19.95 it really isnt as good as other products you can get from meguiars for a similar price.
Bought some of their synthetic wax. Good results & rather easy to use.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Finally found a meguiars product that i don't really like.
Interior quick detailer..
For $19.95 it really isnt as good as other products you can get from meguiars for a similar price.
Bought some of their synthetic wax. Good results & rather easy to use.
Product Code Description Price
W 032 473 ML $17.60

Jaded6, first of could be paying less for your products, secondly it is good if you use it certain ways ( not trying to change your mind your call ) but i find it best as a cleaner for the interior, scuff plates , kick panels and as a general all over interior cleaner, then after that i use either trim detailer , plastix or rubber / tyre shine ( depending on what i am applying it to.

If i appled this first to the dirty surface the effects would be a waste of time and you really only need a little each time so it goes a long way for your money.

I can see if you were expecting bright shiny results how it would appear disapointing, but it is part of my kit without doubt.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default wash

Like DOC said, use good quality stuff
I'm not one for lambswool mitts but they are the next best thing to what I like to use
Some quick detail sprays can be used on glass to put a thin coating of protection and if you want them to stay nice, clay em as well

MF chamois or MF drying towels, MF buffing cloths (FOR QD), an MF applicator pad to apply EGP and your on your way to having a well looked after vehicle

You can layer coats of EGP on your car for added depth and protection
leave it on for as long as you can, remove with buffing cloth, let cure for 24 hours and apply another one
3-5 coats should see 6 months protection and a really nice gloss and depth

After doing all that, use the best shampoo/conditioner you can
Don't go autoglym for that IMO, hyper wash , gold class or #62 are the best option from the meg's list
Doc I believe has bowdens own wash now which is superb for people just like you
Don't use it myself but tested it a little while back and it's good enough to be listed on autopia and only the best of the best gets on there

We're really really fussy

All the best with it

Last edited by SVR73; 11-02-2006 at 07:30 AM.
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
XR6Dan
Why??

Cheers for the advice. The cars is only 9 months old from dealer. It was detailed by them, so I want to make sure that the paint gets looked after.

Is there a coating that can be put on the glass, or is making sure the glass is clean the best option. When it rains now, the water beads and the wipers work great, is that from a coating put on during detailing?? My last car, now matter clean the windscreen was (I think I used windex from memory), the wipers never worked properly, even with new blades. Nothing annoys me more then wipers that smear.
XR6Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post