Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #31
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69

i reckon its a awesome job whether its a insult or not,its still a fine looking motor vehicle

insults ay
ea's turning into wannabe xr's
AU's with t series kits
BA XT's with GT or XR bits trying to be something they aint could be classed as a insult.

give em credit guys and btw this is like donkey years old.
Well said, i agree.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #32
LUXO_8
windsor user

it probably wouldnt have cost him much at all, probably just materials and time. as he's probably one of the workers at that shop.

i CAN see the point of it, rego in japan is charged on engine size / power, and it gets FRICKIN expensive when you start getting into the realms of a ferrari........... imagine having a ferrari that'd cost you stuff all to insure/ register/ etc...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #33
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
i CAN see the point of it, rego in japan is charged on engine size / power, and it gets FRICKIN expensive when you start getting into the realms of a ferrari........... imagine having a ferrari that'd cost you stuff all to insure/ register/ etc...
Doesn't matter, he still doesn't own a Ferrari.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #34
LUXO_8
windsor user

yeah ahh well..

i wouldnt knock it back if it was offered to me!
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #35
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

still thats alot of work..

and steffo take you blinkers off buddy..mercs are nice but bagging the M3 and M5 is a joke.

Also the NSX, while being expensive, never would be much competition for a damn F50...maybe the "smaller" ferrari's at the time, but not specials lie that.

Give me a NSX-R anyday...here a pic aswell!

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

actually I just went through the whole thing...unbelievable. Anyone who bags that is a lazy a.rse if you ask me.

Very talented guy...pour some money into the engine and it could be just as good.

Imagine explaining that one to the insurance company..lol
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #37
Dean C

Maybe we should send that talented chap over to Holden to fix up there mess.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 12:11 AM   #38
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs
I wouldn't be suprised if the NSX went faster, actually

Please tell me you are being sarcastic???

NSX is a 13 second car whereas the F50 is capable of high 11's. (And yes factory only claims 12.1 @ 125 mph as some countries require the fitment of a roll cage for any factory car that can do 11.99 secs or quicker).

F50, the car of my dreams when I was growing up, and still is py:
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 04:37 AM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

Who ever mentioned Mercedes cars? Yeah, I like Merc's... but there is a BMW or two I like also.

I hate anything that's overhyped. M5 falls deep into that category. The old E39 couldn't outrun a 300kW GTS... and was almost $100k more. It was no more economical. It was slower in a straight line and around a race track. The only thing it had going for it is badge. Then of course, when the 350kW mid-low 12 sec E55 came out... M5 fanboys were still saying a 294kW E39 (low 13s) would stomp one.... : :

The new M5 has the wrong engine for the application. 520Nm @ 6100rpm and a 1755kg luxury sedan (keyword - luxury) don't mix. That V10 belongs in a 1200kg sportscar, not a big, primarily luxury sedan. Then there's that whole badge thing again....

Never understood why people think M3's sound so great either. I've heard lots of them, including an E46 CSL... and when you really rev them, they sound like they're about to cark it. They're not that comfortable either. If you want a Euro car of that size and class... in that price range... RS4 does everything better....

I don't like NSX's again for the same reasons... they're overhyped. Japan's only supercar my ИИИИ! Skyline GT-R was always faster in any measure of performance you'd care to name. It took a more powerful, stripper NSX (Type S Zero) to match a stock R34 GT-R. And then there's the more powerful, stripper N1 models that will munch any NSX you care to throw at them. And it had rear seats and a proper boot. More economical too. NSX's little V6 makes a big FPV or HSV V8 look like a Prius economy wise. It was very expensive and not very fast.

The workmanship that went into that F50/NSX thing is good, no doubts there. But that car epitomises the term ricer. Form before function and pretending to be something it isn't. It's like a Civic GLi with Acura and Type R badges, but taken to the next level.

(PS - for a BMW I'd like... give me a black E46 330i or 330Ci with tan leather... or a new 645Ci in burgundy... mmm... :sm_drool: )
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #40
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
And Steffo, how can you even say M3s are overrated?? I know you're Merc biassed, but frigging hell......
Absolutely!!!!!!
The M3 and M5 have to be just a couple of understated velvet sledgehammers.
Just like an E55, or a RS4, just with a different badge on the front and rear.

Bit like the Falcon / Commodore argument, just stepped up $100k or so, hehe.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #41
XRated
Shoot.

I think the problem with you Steffo, is that if there is one little thing Motor/Wheels or something finds better in a Merc, Audi etc over a Beemer, you suddenly think the M3/M5 is overrated! A 3.2L N/A 6 putting out 360bhp is engineering ingenuity.

I have to ask.. How many M3s, M5s, AMG E55s and Audi RS4s have you driven to tell everyone that they're uncomfortable?!

Anyway, back to the topic.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #42
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Ummm... I definitely think he overstepped it by putting Ferrari badges on it.

I wouldn't knock it back if I was offered it though, would fool lots of people.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #43
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Just for the record with the whole BMW's being overpriced issue, in the US a brand new M3 retails at $US 48,990 (AUD$ 65,320) and a brand new M5 retails at $US 81,200 ($AUD 108,267), both around half of what we pay here. So no, BMW's aren't really overpriced, they are only overpriced in Australia. Think about it, if Australia sold an M3 for $65K, that would make it cheaper than a GT-P. But then again, I got no idea how the economy works and there's probably a 'good' reason for the prices we pay.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

yeah i see abit of lean towards mercs here to admittadly there a few mercs id own CLK55AMG, CL55AMG although i badly want an Audi RS6 wagon or and RS4 but bagging the M3 and M% i think some1 (steffo) has their head stuck in to many motor/wheels mags i agree that you really do have a vast knowledge but really how could u compare these cars you have never drivin any of them are you judging your choices on wat is in motor/wheels etc, sure we all have and idea on how fast a car could be with it power,weight etc. Yes i dont like NSX''s either they are way overpriced and the targa version is 10k more expensive then the fixed roof version and the whole car to look at lacks road presence for the price id much rather spend 220k on an RS6 avant and spend the remainder on some MTM (motoren-technik-mayer) mods
Old 07-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #45
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
I think the problem with you Steffo, is that if there is one little thing Motor/Wheels or something finds better in a Merc, Audi etc over a Beemer, you suddenly think the M3/M5 is overrated! A 3.2L N/A 6 putting out 360bhp is engineering ingenuity.

I have to ask.. How many M3s, M5s, AMG E55s and Audi RS4s have you driven to tell everyone that they're uncomfortable?!

Anyway, back to the topic.
I think the problem with you is pre-assuming old stereotypes that have no grain of truth to them.

If you go by what Motor and Wheels say, M3 and M5 are God's gift to motoring.

I've driven a 350kW 2003 E55 AMG. I've been in an M3 and one of the old 227kW twin turbo V6 2.7litre RS4's and the new 253kW V8 S4. The M3 E46 is not a very comfortable car. The new S4 has very nice seats, but it is a bit small in legroom for my liking. The older RS4 is not too dissimilar from the new S4. E55 is pretty much flawless. The only thing I can find wrong with it is I don't have $221,900 to own one....

M3's engine may be powerful for what it is. But that doesn't mean the car is suddenly the most awesome thing on offer. An Audi S4 will do everything the M3 can do, plus it's got four doors so it makes things a tad easier with rear passengers etc. And it's more comfortable IMO. Then the RS4 will absolutley slaughter both... For $139,000 odd I'd like a nicer interior then the M3 delivers, for example. But then, people will think different cars are nicer inside than others, so...

M3/M5 are the ultimate hype mobiles because every stupid fanboy who hasn't the slightest what it is to drive a car quickly thinks they're better then anything else on the road. The E39 M5 was a pretty good car, for example... but to say that it was faster then the W221 E55 is just idiocy... yet many, MANY people said that to me. :

:
Old 08-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #46
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
aaah, correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure they are being disscontinued.
The current 16 yo model is being discontinued. There's a new one in the works which will have styling cues from the HSC concept car. Expected around 2008-2009
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #47
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
still thats alot of work..

and steffo take you blinkers off buddy..mercs are nice but bagging the M3 and M5 is a joke.

Also the NSX, while being expensive, never would be much competition for a damn F50...maybe the "smaller" ferrari's at the time, but not specials lie that.

Give me a NSX-R anyday...here a pic aswell!

Its still a wonderful car, just needed a bit more donk
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #48
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
M3/M5 are the ultimate hype mobiles because every stupid fanboy who hasn't the slightest what it is to drive a car quickly thinks they're better then anything else on the road.
And you do?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #49
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00VenomXR
And you do?
While I don't profess to be a Marcos Ambrose or Michael Schumacher, I will say that I do know a decent amount more about driving quickly, and what it takes to drive a car quickly, then your average joe.

: