Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
lamborghinifan

Default Anyone Fitted a Tow Bar to a Fairlane?

hi, i just bought myself an NL fairlane ghia (to go with my Ba Ute) but i was just wondering if anyone had fitted a tow pack to the car themselves. is it worth getting done professionaly? is there extensive drilling required, or is it all pre drilled and just a bolt on job, and most importantly will a tow bar off an EL falcon go straight on or are they a different unit?
thanks in advance
ed

lamborghinifan is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghinifan
hi, i just bought myself an NL fairlane ghia (to go with my Ba Ute) but i was just wondering if anyone had fitted a tow pack to the car themselves. is it worth getting done professionaly? is there extensive drilling required, or is it all pre drilled and just a bolt on job, and most importantly will a tow bar off an EL falcon go straight on or are they a different unit?
thanks in advance
ed

The EL defintly won't go on the fairlane! Complety Different!

The NL Standard or Light duty bar dont require any drilling and is ok to do on your own!

The h/duty Hayman Reese you would need a workshop to fit! You do need to drill extra holes! I do have the instructions if you need them! It takes around 4-5hours to fit them at the workshop!

This below is the L/duty

The H/duty

Last edited by Macca23; 13-02-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
nb_351
building the xe...

jesus christ thats a heavy duty towbar lol, i didnt realise there was so muh that went into fitting them, i used to fit stuff to mitsibishis nissans and volkswagens etc,, and never saw anything that complex lol
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
grime

Default Re: Anyone Fitted a Tow Bar to a Fairlane?

The h/duty Hayman Reese you would need a workshop to fit! You do need to drill extra holes! I do have the instructions if you need them! It takes around 4-5hours to fit them at the workshop!
Fitting Instructions for heavy duty.Yes Please.
grime is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
yarivland
Starter Motor

Hello,

Can you please upload the light duty and heavy duty Tow bar installation instruction for Ford Falcon Wagon BA 2005?

Thanks in advance,
yarivland is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do what I did . Bought a second hand HD towbar from a wreckers for $ 80.00 , spent $23.00 on paint stripper , rub down pads , sandpaper and paint . Voila new bar . Bought wiring and plug for $25.00 form Superheap and a new tongue and towball from Repco for $75.00 . All up $ 203.00. Was quoted $ 900.00 for the same towbar ( new ) fitted . These things are easy as to fit , removed rear bar and it was on and fitted in under an hour and a half and wired and operational in another half an hour .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
yarivland
Starter Motor

Thank you very much for the help, Can you point out a few good wreckers around melbourne?

I checked the prices for HD and all of them gave me 250$ just for the bar.

Yariv.
yarivland is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am in Sydney so dont really know any melbourne wreckers . Arent FTG Salvage a sponsor on here ? Why not give them a try . If worst comes to worst i got mine from Northern Auto Wreckers Londonderry ( half way between penrith and Windsor .557 The Northern Rd, Londonderry, NSW, 2753 Phone number: (02) 47774205. I am sure even with freight they would be a lot cheaper than $ 250.00.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Be careful if you get a towbar from the wreckers cos some workshops won't refit if you tell them you bought it from a wrecker.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs
Be careful if you get a towbar from the wreckers cos some workshops won't refit if you tell them you bought it from a wrecker.
Hi. If you get one from a wreckers make sure you get EVERY nut and bolt as a workshop will charge you for the time they spend chasing parts and welding bits of wire onto the bolts that poke out of the holes in chassis rails and then say that as you didnt supply the right bolts it wont be their fault if it falls off. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fit it yourself like I did , remove the rear bar and 13 holes to drill and the rest is just like a meccano set and a 7 wires to splice into the tail light harness .
Old 07-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca23
The EL defintly won't go on the fairlane! Complety Different!

The NL Standard or Light duty bar dont require any drilling and is ok to do on your own!
the factory ford standard tow bars are stamped EF/EL falcon DF/DL ltd and NF/NL fairlane!
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2015, 12:01 AM   #13
brendan9000
Starter Motor

Hi guys I know this is an old thread but does anyone have the light duty fitting instructions that they could re-post? Cheers
brendan9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post