The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #31
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford Aus v Ford UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
In UK 75% of new car sales (1.8mil /year) were manual - in Australia 85% of new car sales are automatic . Small difference , I know...
Small engined manual cars don't sell in Australia , maybe because many people only have automatic license ?
If Ford decides to go with 1 L 3 cyl Focus manual and Mazda is fighting it with2.0l 3 auto - who do you think will sell more ? So our market does dictate engine/tranny combos to manufacturers .
Im sorry but if you think Australia has any pull in what gets developed globally then your mad.

Australia also generally gets dumped with whatever combo's are left over after other countries get what they want. Hence long lead times on particular models.

Sales also depends on alot of other factors too, there are plenty examples of Ford over the years having superior product yet not selling anything like its competitors so the actually displacement means nothing.

It could be a 0.5cc engine, but as long as it produces the numbers (fuel economy and driveability) then thats all that matters. The general car buyer knows nothing other than those key indicators....oh and price and reputation which is why Hyundai, Mazda, Toyota are killing it at the moment. Nothing to do with how many cylinder it has.

Ask MB or BMW how "Australian" their range is.....or look at the cars that win the awards (Car of the year etc)...how many or localised? Next to none unless a Falcon or Commy win.

Your Mum isnt always right, we are not that special.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #32
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Distances in Australia are massive compared to anything in Europe .
As you know, that doesn't stand up to scrutiny unless you're driving deep into outback Australia, which very few do. Road distances between Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide for example are in the same order of those such as e.g. Paris-Prague, Berlin-Munich, Cologne-Nice, Munich-Rome.

But distances between major centres seem longer in Australia because of the lower allowed speeds on motorways and thus the extra time it takes to cover the distance.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #33
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

and how many people actually do those interstate drives regularly now with cheap airfares?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #34
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
and how many people actually do those interstate drives regularly now with cheap airfares?
I suspect the typical long-distance driving distance in Australia nowadays is probably up to 300-500 km only. Beyond that, you take a plane and hire a car at destination. Quite likely the same in Europe, except that high speed train is also an option.

I used to do Sydney-Melbourne in 9-10 hours in the old days before the current speed regime (pre motorway too). Now that cars and roads are designed to drive at higher speeds more safely they've forced everybody to go slower

Back on-topic, I presume the Focus and Mondeo (even Fiesta) are designed for cruising at 160+ like their many other European counterparts. So they are therefore amply suited to long-distance Australian driving as well.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2015, 02:21 AM   #35
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
I suspect the typical long-distance driving distance in Australia nowadays is probably up to 300-500 km only. Beyond that, you take a plane and hire a car at destination. Quite likely the same in Europe, except that high speed train is also an option.

I used to do Sydney-Melbourne in 9-10 hours in the old days before the current speed regime (pre motorway too). Now that cars and roads are designed to drive at higher speeds more safely they've forced everybody to go slower

Back on-topic, I presume the Focus and Mondeo (even Fiesta) are designed for cruising at 160+ like their many other European counterparts. So they are therefore amply suited to long-distance Australian driving as well.
Yes but these are now global cars. The range of city, compact,small, medium and large cars would be far more leaning to the smaller cars in the UK then in aus.
THAT says it all.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 02:26 AM   #36
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

...oh and price and reputation which is why Hyundai, Mazda, Toyota are killing it at the moment. Nothing to do with how many cylinder it has.
I'm always confused when people put sooo much attention on reputation. Less then ten years ago Hyundai was a bottom feeder. Look at them now. They didn't come good from good reputation
Old 11-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #37
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
I'm always confused when people put sooo much attention on reputation. Less then ten years ago Hyundai was a bottom feeder. Look at them now. They didn't come good from good reputation
Your right...Ford reputation was better too. I do believe the Falcon had a rough start with the XK having pretty major suspension issues and they made an MASSIVE effort with the XP to prove to the public it was a good thing.

Your success and reputation snowballs from product is atleast seen to be popular or successful through sales. Could be on styling, price or many other factors.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #38
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Cars tailored to particular countries is BS..we all have the same basic wants and needs for transport.
Not entirely.

Kia got in trouble when they were importing cars with a suspension tune that was suited to the US (??) market.

They modified their cars to our tastes by firming up the suspension.

Then there is the taxi I caught in Bangkok:

Notice something missing?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #39
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your right...Ford reputation was better too. I do believe the Falcon had a rough start with the XK having pretty major suspension issues and they made an MASSIVE effort with the XP to prove to the public it was a good thing.

Your success and reputation snowballs from product is atleast seen to be popular or successful through sales. Could be on styling, price or many other factors.
Hyundai grew from basic, humble beginnings with product that improved with each generation, Australians will reward that. Ford rested on their laurels and are now paying the price.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #40
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Hyundai grew from basic, humble beginnings with product that improved with each generation, Australians will reward that. Ford rested on their laurels and are now paying the price.
Not sure about that. Fords line up has been worldclass for along time and now boasts some of the worlds best engines, small cars, utes and trucks. Hyundai made a very steep climb and has only recently added large cars and even vans too their lineup. That aside Hyundai as a brand has done barely anything of worldclass leading notoriety. And honestly, saying ford rested on their laurels is just plain not correct! (All I'd give you in that department is the advertisement of the Australian local large car that was allready a niche car and made redundant by the import laws). Unless I forgot something which I'm happy to be reminded off.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:35 AM   #41
Deo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Steering wheel?

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2015, 01:56 AM   #42
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Radio?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2015, 05:21 AM   #43
1TUFFUTE
Banned

The rest of the picture?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #44
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Not entirely.

Kia got in trouble when they were importing cars with a suspension tune that was suited to the US (??) market.

They modified their cars to our tastes by firming up the suspension.

Then there is the taxi I caught in Bangkok:

No heater, just air con. This was common in locally assembled cars in Thailand. My dad lived there and his Nissan did not have a heater.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #45
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME View Post
No heater, just air con. This was common in locally assembled cars in Thailand. My dad lived there and his Nissan did not have a heater.
The car in that pic doesn't have AC either, im sure a heater would be of zero use in Thailand.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 12-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #46
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Not sure about that. Fords line up has been worldclass for along time and now boasts some of the worlds best engines, small cars, utes and trucks. Hyundai made a very steep climb and has only recently added large cars and even vans too their lineup. That aside Hyundai as a brand has done barely anything of worldclass leading notoriety. And honestly, saying ford rested on their laurels is just plain not correct! (All I'd give you in that department is the advertisement of the Australian local large car that was allready a niche car and made redundant by the import laws). Unless I forgot something which I'm happy to be reminded off.
Hyundais success in Australia will not hinge on whether or not their large car sells (it wont, niche only).

And with ford resting on its laurels, ultimately doesn't matter, they could be building the number 1 selling car here, but it wont be enough volume to justify building them here.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 17-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #47
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
The car in that pic doesn't have AC either, im sure a heater would be of zero use in Thailand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
Bingo - no heater. I can't recall if the car had air-con or not to be honest (I'm almost certain it did) but yes, the temp control has no heat function at all, just degrees of coolness.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #48
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On that Hiace, the switching of the A/C is controlled by the dial - notice the 'off' position.
In ones sold here its a button in the middle of the left hand dial.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #49
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I worked in Brunei for many years.

Climate similar to Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, etc. Hot, humid, tropical, all year round.

I thought the climate there was far more harsh than what we see here in Australia.

Japanese cars generally were more reliable and gave less trouble than Korean, Chinese and even the European cars.

I did see a handful of Australian built Fords there (BA XR6 and XR6 Turbo, and Territories) and saw a heap of Mitsubishi 380's, all black colour, bound for Brunei Government duty.
Old 19-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #50
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im sorry but if you think Australia has any pull in what gets developed globally then your mad.

Australia also generally gets dumped with whatever combo's are left over after other countries get what they want. Hence long lead times on particular models.

Sales also depends on alot of other factors too, there are plenty examples of Ford over the years having superior product yet not selling anything like its competitors so the actually displacement means nothing.

It could be a 0.5cc engine, but as long as it produces the numbers (fuel economy and driveability) then thats all that matters. The general car buyer knows nothing other than those key indicators....oh and price and reputation which is why Hyundai, Mazda, Toyota are killing it at the moment. Nothing to do with how many cylinder it has.

Ask MB or BMW how "Australian" their range is.....or look at the cars that win the awards (Car of the year etc)...how many or localised? Next to none unless a Falcon or Commy win.

Your Mum isnt always right, we are not that special.
There are some minor modifications for Australian delivered cars , for example new Alfa 4C weighs roughly 150kg than its Euro version.
"
. For the Australian market, the 4C boasts a reinforced rear subframe, some reinforcement of the front subframe, new cross members for side impact protection, reinforced windscreen structure and minor modification to the carbon-fibre tub. All up, according to FCA, these changes add 55kg to the dry weight of the car, taking it up to 950kg in Australian specification." then there is another 75kg or so that they don't explain.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post