Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
DJB56
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2 more ford dealers in trouble

Just been informed it appears another ford dealership in Brisbane has it back to the wall or should I say 2. Denmac ford (second time in 3 and ahalf years) and Bryan Byrt ford (The owners of Denmac) have gone into receivership. Why are these big companys struggling is it a ford thing or a sign of the times. Hope they trade their way out of it otherwise next step liquidators a place where Denmac has been before and not a good Christmas present for their workers as they would already have had their entitlements frozen . It would be be good if this info was wrong but it came from 2 different sources though.

DJB56 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: 2 more ford dealers in trouble

I would say most likely it sign of times as a lot of businesses are struggling at present, our economy is still on shaky grounds imo.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Sales have dried up and that means not as many cars going through the service department too. I'm predicting a few Holden dealers are going to feel it soon. The only way out is to go multi franchise.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes it's correct, receivers are trying to sell the group. It's not sales at fault. Bryan Byrt was the number 1 selling Ford dealer in Australia for October.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
DJB56
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would hate to see either disappear I bought my first knew car from Bryan Byrt Ford in 1974 when I was !8 so like me they have been around for awhile
DJB56 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I don't think we will see the name go. Just a restructure really.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
timeout

Look at vfacts for the month...
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I can fully understand why Denmac would be selling up...worst Ford dealer experience ever.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too be expected I suppose as we get closer to Henry shutting up shop, how many will hang on till stumps I wonder?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #10
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Yes it's correct, receivers are trying to sell the group. It's not sales at fault. Bryan Byrt was the number 1 selling Ford dealer in Australia for October.
General Motors used to be the largest seller of cars in the world. Enron used to be one of the biggest sellers of energy in the world. FAI was one of the biggest insurers in Australia, Alan Bond was once one of the largest media owners in Australia. Need I go on. Sometimes its how you get to the top, that is the reason you end up at the bottom.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Repost...discussed under Post Fact or Fiction
Old 12-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Bryan Byrt sells Volkswagen, Izuzu, Skoda, Renault as well as Ford over a number of yards.....
They must be running a pretty fat business as far as overheads go with debts on flashy
showrooms and all the rest of it, as well as experiencing a pinch in sales and service generally.
Perhaps the ship just got too heavy?
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
blk6t

I don't think Ford sell enough vehicles in Australia to warrant large dealerships anymore, they need to multi-franchise like so many other importers.

Windsor Holden in my area are now Nissan and Holden which I think will work better, particularly for the employees.

It will eventually become more mainstream, but I think dealerships will go even smaller if they utilise the potential of internet sales. I see no reason why you can't buy a brand new car online and have it delivered to your door. Only downside is next to no window for haggling, possibly, but instant messaging could resolve that issue.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Don't know about city dealers but out here in the bush most of the main dealers no longer deal in just one brand...........

Wagga Motors. (Originally only Holden) now handles Holden, Hyundai, Honda, Mercedes, Isuzu utes and Chrysler (Jeep, Dodge)

Hillis Group. (was Hillis Ford) Ford, BMW, SsangYong, Great Wall and Skoda.

Jason Motor Group. (was Jason Nissan) Nissan, Volvo, VW, Kia and Audi.

Jupiter Motors was solely a Subaru dealer now carries Mazda as well.

Seeing as there are only 60,000 people here it's probably the only way they can keep going.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Here in Melbourne most of the dealers are just single manufacturer dealers, even out around the regional areas its just single manufacturers.

The only multi-franchise dealer I've seen is Melton Suzuki, which also sells new F-trucks.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well Bryan Byrt were multifranchised. That is they sold and serviced 5 brands. Maybe they grew the business too quick? Or maybe theres no money in cars anymore. Its a very competitive market especially new cars sales and the overheads of running such businesses are huge. Just the marketing alone costs a small fortune, then you have leases on propertys that probably total 6 figures every month.

It seems the only dealers that are viable are national (AP Eagers, AHG etc) or own their premises with lower over heads.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Here in Melbourne most of the dealers are just single manufacturer dealers, even out around the regional areas its just single manufacturers.

The only multi-franchise dealer I've seen is Melton Suzuki, which also sells new F-trucks.
They may look like they are stand alone but you dont know who owns them.

Many of these dealerships are owned by multinationals now.

My thoughts go out to the employees and suppliers who are in limbo now.

What I will say is that Ford seem to be at the forefront of dealership for closure or down sizing. Not sure if its Ford putting unreasonable stress on their franchisees or simply not doing enough to help them through the tough times.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 12-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Like everything else I dont know why you can just look at stock online, haggle, test drive if you must then option by clicking boxes..boom and car is delivered to a small office that is basically a warehouse and drive away?

The sales side of it would be a bastard of a game to play.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Like everything else I dont know why you can just look at stock online, haggle, test drive if you must then option by clicking boxes..boom and car is delivered to a small office that is basically a warehouse and drive away?

The sales side of it would be a bastard of a game to play.
Too be honest I reckon this is what we will see in the future. Smaller satellite dealerships with less stock and more online trading.

Carsales has quietly killed new carsales margins by dealers price waring online and people searching for the cheapest car.

Holden have banned all dealerships from advertising new Commodores on carsales for this reason as it was costing them too much money through dealerships whinging about margins on Commodore, and Holden ultimately paying the shortfall themselves through bonus incentives. They still let them advertise HSV though for some unknown reason.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Don't know about city dealers but out here in the bush most of the main dealers no longer deal in just one brand...........

Wagga Motors. (Originally only Holden) now handles Holden, Hyundai, Honda, Mercedes, Isuzu utes and Chrysler (Jeep, Dodge)

Seeing as there are only 60,000 people here it's probably the only way they can keep going.
And 3 out of 4 mentioned above are owned by 2 people. Not much choice who you give your money to now, rather just the badge on the front.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #21
timeout

Quote:
Too be honest I reckon this is what we will see in the future. Smaller satellite dealerships with less stock and more online trading.

Carsales has quietly killed new carsales margins by dealers price waring online and people searching for the cheapest car.

Holden have banned all dealerships from advertising new Commodores on carsales for this reason as it was costing them too much money through dealerships whinging about margins on Commodore, and Holden ultimately paying the shortfall themselves through bonus incentives. They still let them advertise HSV though for some unknown reason.
Ahh that would explain that one....

Pain through change I guess... Don't see Toyota or audi /vw dealers closing.
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
They may look like they are stand alone but you dont know who owns them.

Many of these dealerships are owned by multinationals now.

My thoughts go out to the employees and suppliers who are in limbo now.

What I will say is that Ford seem to be at the forefront of dealership for closure or down sizing. Not sure if its Ford putting unreasonable stress on their franchisees or simply not doing enough to help them through the tough times.
Yeah I know in Essendon that Essendon Honda, Mazda, Toyota and in South Melbourne City Mazda are all owned by the same group, I thought you guys were referring to selling more than one brand out the same premesis.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #23
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I can fully understand why Denmac would be selling up...worst Ford dealer experience ever.
I'll never buy another car from Bryan Byrt Mt Gravatt.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #24
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

So how is someone supposed to interpt Ford Australia's claim of "massive" interest in FGX, whilst dealers are closing up? Seems it is just more smoke blowing out of the proverbial...

Run out sale on FGX will follow soon.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #25
boac
Starter Motor

I worked for a country Ford dealer for 16 years that went into liquidation a few years ago. There was some bad management but Ford had their part to play in the whole thing. They kept jamming cars into us that very few wanted and our only option was to sell them at a loss. All the manufacture's care about is moving metal and the dealer has very little say in how many car they get. When the Fairlane was discontinued we averaged 2-3 a year, Ford sent us 6 as they wanted them off their books. You have to remember if you don't get your targets you dont get your bonus and a lot of dealers rely on that to pay the bills.
boac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #26
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

I was chatting to one of the co-owners of Hillis a couple of weeks ago as I am thinking of ditching my current dealer and going with them. He said they employed 60 staff. Now to carry that many people you would have to diversify to stay alive one would think. I was very impressed any way and will make the move even if it does involve a bit of travel on my part.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Yeah I know in Essendon that Essendon Honda, Mazda, Toyota and in South Melbourne City Mazda are all owned by the same group, I thought you guys were referring to selling more than one brand out the same premesis.
It's not necessarily the sales showrooms that are combined but in the case of Bryan Byrt their predelivery area did PD for all brands and 3 Ford dealerships. Back in the day it was Ford only servicing 1 dealership. So you can see how they have diversified when they can prepare and service 5 brands out of the one site.
Old 14-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #28
nautiqueken
Starter Motor

The idea of doing PD for all dealers out of Mansfield is just plain crazy. The dealers need to look at where they are wasting money & lean it up.
Take for example my Ranger (which I may or may not get next week through Denmac..) it's a Denmac stock vehicle. Now they truck it to Mansfield for PD, then truck it back to Darra for Rego & delivery.
That's probably $300 minimum wasted in transport costs alone - sell 1,000 cars a year, there goes $300,000, all while service staff are payed to scatch their bums..... The group only reported $1.3mil in profit a few years ago.
nautiqueken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #29
browser351
Landcruiser 200

http://www.couriermail.com.au/busine...-1227122425124
browser351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post