Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
mininote
*** SPRINTY ***

Question insurance and car value

Hi all, was active here sometime ago, when in 2009 i purchased a FPV GS 2009, lease ran out moved the car on 18 months ago, currently driving a Chrysler 300 luxury, but have an opportunity to add a FPV GT 2008 to the stable, will replace wives car, and probably will end up as my daily and she will move into the Chrysler.

anyways, spent sometime this morning doing insurance quotes, ran between $480 and $1000+ to the usual we can't underwrite that vehicle. The amounts or the variances isn't my question, it's the agreed or market value. The car is $34k (done 70000 clicks), which according to car sales isn't the lowest (there was at one below 30k @ $29990) but certainly not the highest. All insurance companies (and i tried the main 10) wouldn't accept agreed value over $28k, most wanting market value at low 20's. Glass guides seem to accept there value the insurance companies were displaying, quite low in my opinion. Especially in the event of a write-off where my $34k quickly becomes $25k. Anyone had this experience? thoughts? Am i paying to much for an FG GT 2008 model (i don't think i am)??....

Also on Shannons website i couldn't even find the car there was only Ford, no FPV and in the Ford / Falcon selection GT wasn't one of them, strange from a performance and speciality car insurer yes!?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: insurance and car value

Insurance company will use the Glass's guide, in the past I have found Glass's guide to over price value on cars.

As I have said in other threads, due to FPV and Ford Aus coming to an end, FPV are overpriced on the market at the moment. Everyone is buying cheap the cheap FPV and the higher priced FPV's are still on the market. These are the cars on car sales. The reason for this is because people think they will be worth big bucks later on down the track.

A couple of things you need to remember a 2008 FPV GT is 6 years old, in the next 5 months it will be 7 years olds. When I got my BA GT a few years ago, I paid $30000 for it, the car was 5 years old and at the time there was cheaper versions out there. I think $34000 for a 2008 GT is overpriced.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think you will find most sites list FORD>FPV>GT>...... anyway shannons should be able to insure for the purchase price, same with Ryno and Lumly but will have clauses saying it has to be garaged and so-on
I bought my GT cheap (i think anyway) but the big insurers will only insure it for $10-12k based on the glasses guide but have you ever seen a BA GT for $12k?
I had mine insured for $15k and asked to up it based on that its a 1 off and very good conditions and they went to $17k, i still have to inform them of the mods i have done since and that will up the value a bit more but $17k only buys a fairly well used example and to get a mint BA GT i'm looking at $20k+
I know some people have their 2003 GT insured for $30k so i'm sure you can have it insured for your purchase price just call Shannons, Lumley or Ryno
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go with Ryno....My 2005 BA GT insured for 32k
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
mininote
*** SPRINTY ***

Thanks all for your responses... To get insurers to accept an agreed value of $34k the premium goes from under $500 to over $1500, so effectively buying the extra value in crazy premiums, I've made 1 claim in my 26 years of driving and none in the past 19 years, so caught between a rock and a hard place on this....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
commonrails

Funnily enough I just got my insurance renewal and they have my agreed value on my 2011 fg gt at $32,800 down from $46,000 I just laughed and thought **** where can I buy one at that price?
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

This is where Market value comes into effect. Its usually the cheaper option as you lose your Value figure. But the insurance company have to replace the vehicle like for like minus rego. On your GT, if the unthinkable happens the insurance has to replace your vehicle which means they have to come up with one in similar condition no matter what the cost.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #8
mininote
*** SPRINTY ***

Commonrails, sold, 33k, when do I pick it up!!!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
mininote
*** SPRINTY ***

Rancidpunx, are you saying if I choose market value, and someone crashes into my gt or steals it or whatever, the said insurance company doesn't have cut my a cheque for 27k but must get me a gt replacement ?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
commonrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininote View Post
Commonrails, sold, 33k, when do I pick it up!!!
Haha well one things for sure if i sold it for that price it probably wouldn't be worth owning
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininote View Post
Rancidpunx, are you saying if I choose market value, and someone crashes into my gt or steals it or whatever, the said insurance company doesn't have cut my a cheque for 27k but must get me a gt replacement ?

Its a bit of a gamble as the figure is not fixed where as Agreed gives you a safety net. Problem is GT's seem to sell for more than the market values them at. It was explained to me that the insurance company had to replace my car like for like no matter what the cost was to them. Market value is usually the cheaper option as insurance companies can remove the owners perceived value from the equation and find a car that may be cheaper a long as its similar in spec and condition. Of course ask questions and ask for all the fine print. I didn't go down that route as I ended up renewing but I asked for quotes to be emailed with a note to cover that Market Value would replace my car with something I was happy with no matter the cost.
The Work Truck

Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #12
Tbm1121

Ask the questions, and whichever avenue you go down make sure you read the pds, if someone steals your gt, you won't be happy getting a cheque for x amount because they couldn't find one that matches yours.
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Its a bit of a gamble as the figure is not fixed where as Agreed gives you a safety net. Problem is GT's seem to sell for more than the market values them at. It was explained to me that the insurance company had to replace my car like for like no matter what the cost was to them. Market value is usually the cheaper option as insurance companies can remove the owners perceived value from the equation and find a car that may be cheaper a long as its similar in spec and condition. Of course ask questions and ask for all the fine print. I didn't go down that route as I ended up renewing but I asked for quotes to be emailed with a note to cover that Market Value would replace my car with something I was happy with no matter the cost.
I am interested to know who told you that.

But this is how market value works.

The insurance company has a guide they go from, usually called the Glass's Guide. The Glass's guide is released on a monthly basis (I think). In the Glass's guide there is 3 figures and the insurance company basis the market value on these figures.

The market value on a car drops every time the new guide is released. Also the guide has adjustment figures for car with low Ks, and accessories and such.

So if you have a market value policy, the insurance company will base the payout figure on this guide. Car sales is not a good way to find out what the market value, because the market value can be different to what people are selling cars for.

If you have agreed value, the insurance company will use the Glass's Guide to work out the agreed value when you renew your policy or start the policy. They will take the market value at the time and lock it in for 12 months.

But the agreed value maybe able to be changed and you can agree to a value with your insurance company. Also some policy have new car replacement, so if car is written off in first x amount of years, you will get the car replaced.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

^ Just how it was explained to me. It was the Agreed value that was based off of redbook and glasses guide which was substantially lower than what the cars are selling for. This was how we got on to Market Value discussion. If they are replacing the vehicle, then they have to stump up with something no matter what the cost. I asked all the same questions about how they would replace a car if it cost more than what glasses guide figures were. 2 different companies said that at the end of the day it is just a guide. At the time of replacement the going rate of the vehicle may be different. I am still dubious and I hate insurance companies but might with worth the OP asking similar questions. My current insurance is new for new which is half the reason I stayed with that company.
The Work Truck

Old 05-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
EVL BOS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is where Market value comes into effect. Its usually the cheaper option as you lose your Value figure. But the insurance company have to replace the vehicle like for like minus rego. On your GT, if the unthinkable happens the insurance has to replace your vehicle which means they have to come up with one in similar condition no matter what the cost.
The like for like replacement on most insurance companies only applies to cars under 2 years of age and your the original owner. For the op this won't apply at it's 2008 model and he's not the original owner

Daily: UA11 BiTurbo Everest
Weekend Project 1999 AU XR8
Past rides:

Mondeo XR5 Turbo

RIP: FGX XR8 MANUAL Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447239

AU Fairlane Sparkling Burgundy thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....61#post5854961

UX explorer limited

FOCUS ST,

UT Explorer limited Written OFF

BA XR8
Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1299363&page=7

AU XR6 VCT

ED GLI Classic
EVL BOS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL BOS View Post
The like for like replacement on most insurance companies only applies to cars under 2 years of age and your the original owner. For the op this won't apply at it's 2008 model and he's not the original owner
Thats new for new and different to an older car being replaced like for like should his get written off.
The Work Truck

Old 06-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #17
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats new for new and different to an older car being replaced like for like should his get written off.
Market value policies won't get you a replacement car in the event of a total loss. The insurance company will pay you the market value less excess and it's up to you to find a replacement.

Using what you say you were told, I can buy a phase 3, insure for market value, have a total loss and then let the insurance company find me a replacement... Won't happen.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
^ Just how it was explained to me. It was the Agreed value that was based off of redbook and glasses guide which was substantially lower than what the cars are selling for. This was how we got on to Market Value discussion. If they are replacing the vehicle, then they have to stump up with something no matter what the cost. I asked all the same questions about how they would replace a car if it cost more than what glasses guide figures were. 2 different companies said that at the end of the day it is just a guide. At the time of replacement the going rate of the vehicle may be different. I am still dubious and I hate insurance companies but might with worth the OP asking similar questions. My current insurance is new for new which is half the reason I stayed with that company.
It is funny with insurance companies as most who you speak to over the phone really do not have any idea on how a claim is actually settled. To get a real answer you need to speak to the guys that do the setllments, only time you speak to them is when a claim is lodged.

I have had many years with settling claims and market value is based off the Glass's guide or whatever guide the insurance company is using.

With one of the insurance companies I used to work for, they had a massive database and we just put the details into the database and it would give us a market value figure and this is what was paid out. Some people could get higher but they would have to prove why the car was valued more, such as low ks.

That is why a market value policy is cheaper, because you do not have a locked in figure and the value of the car drops every 4 to 6 weeks.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #19
mininote
*** SPRINTY ***

Update....

Moral to story call insurance companies not just use there online quote systems.

Aami, gave me agreed value @$34250, with any modification excluding turbo/supercharging/nos as long as still legal and roadworthy, for $740 p.a.

...sssoooooo am driving a very nice nitro fpv gt, ordered xforce cat back and about to order Herrod cai, sctx4 coming soon lol

Old 13-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #20
LTDHO
The one and only

When asked, I always suggest Agreed Value over market value. It saves the headaches should your car be written off.

The hardest part is getting the AV you want!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #21
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

just some info regarding insurance that you guys might find useful.

Market Value - Settlement would be based on the market value of the vehicle via glasses guide, less any excess or premium etc.

Agree value - Settlement is based on the agreed value on your policy (this drops every year, so check your happy with it each renewal) less any excess or Premium etc.

There is some New for old replacement on insurance policies.. some can be for first 1 or 2 yrs of the vehicle or lifetime of the vehicle.. with this, still make sure your Sum insured is what you would want, because say if you had life time replacement on vehicle and the car you had insured is written off and they don't make FPV GT or even a falcon in a couple of years, the settlement would not be a new car, but based on your sum insured (agreed or market)... also say you didn't want the same type of car or different model, you would have to take settlement based on the sum insured on the policy... also some insurance guidelines when it comes to the new for old replacement, the car needs to be able to be sourced within 90days, of if it cant be it again will revert back to your sum insured.

yea, some times websites don't have all vehicle and aren't as flexible the price, so calling can help with the deal and options, sum insureds etc.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #22
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i tried with AAMI, and is will cost me $1300 pa to insure my BA GT for $10,000 with a $1400 excess...WTF

Shannons look after me so sticking with them
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 13-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #23
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i tried with AAMI, and is will cost me $1300 pa to insure my BA GT for $10,000 with a $1400 excess...WTF

Shannons look after me so sticking with them
It is funny, basically since Suncorp own Shannon’s and AAMI, your money is going to the same place. The employee that did your quote with Shannon’s probably also does AAMi quotes.
Old 13-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #24
mininote
*** SPRINTY ***

Hi heard that suncorp is the owner of aami and Shannon's or what is just car.

Can I ask with the bad quote from aami what did Shannons offer?

Old 13-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #25
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well with shannons I have my 2003 BA GT insured for $17k limited use and my 2001 VX commodore for $6k and pay combined $1200pa with $500 excess, so about $700pa just for the GT
it was insured for less but i told them its a 1of 1 colour and sent pics to confirm condition and proof of the 1of 1 thing and they upped it a bit and said they are happy to up the value again when i do mods.
but for $17k it won't be easy to replace for something in the same condition
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar