Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Drivers ed in OZ schools

I was skyping with some relos I have in the states.
My cousin who is now 15 proudly informed me that he is now doing drivers ed in schools I've heard of it before from tv shows movies etc...
I asked what they taught them he said they teach proper braking and control,(they teach in old cars without driver's aid's) like if a bus pulled out infront how much distance you need etc...
also cover wet roads acceleration etc...
even basic maintenance like tyre pressures oil level etc... washer fluid
He says that in his state new york that if he wants to get his learners at 15 he has to do drivers ed then lodge an application for his learner's so they can check his driver's ed results criminal and health background.
Then when he's 16 he get's his license and can drive pretty much anything that's classed as a LV.
When I asked what car he was saving for he said 05-06 mustang cause by the time he's 16 they'll be cheap and plentiful he's only getting a v6 first ofcourse. Also found it funny that his mum says it easier to get a gun permit than it is a car license cause a car is classed as a deadly weapon in the states go figure.
Any way the point of my story is should driver's ed be mandatory in school's here or is it another costly program for our pollie's

Last edited by Boza; 11-08-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: English second language poor grammar sorry
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: Drivers ed in OZ schools

Some schools in Oz offer drivers ed as part of a subject but not compulsory that I know of. And basic vehicle maintenence should be a requisite of any driving liscense.
Exiting times when your still at school with a car, but imagine the laughter if it was an old Volvo or a Prius.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to be heavily involved in secondary school driver education, sad part is parents will send their kids on some feel good trip to Ayers Rock but won't pay to have their kids go to a driver ed program, the company I worked for stopped the driver ed programs for primary and secondary school kids due to funding issues, the Government or the parents didn't want to pay - and that is a fact
Old 11-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
xr6turboford

I think it's a must as it might save someone's life, it could even be your own and they could show videos like this cause it happens this easily.

https://sfglobe.com/?id=951&src=share_fb_new_951
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford View Post
I think it's a must as it might save someone's life, it could even be your own and they could show videos like this cause it happens this easily.

https://sfglobe.com/?id=951&src=share_fb_new_951
Is it normal for movie theaters in Hong kong to have the advertisements in English?

Drivers Ed should be in schools, but I can't see it happening.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd rather see driver's ED in like year 11-12 when I was in high school in the late 90's for phy's ed all we did was pump a bunch of weight's or there was a class called movie studies where you watch movies and discuss them.
maybe the funding should be pullrd from these useless classes and into a genuine class like drivers's.
We had a teacher who was a full on car guy he used to drive a fully restored australian AMC javelin and had a few chrysler's when we had him for some useless classes like movie studies he used to take us out to his cas and show us how to juck it up properly change a tyre etc... I loved that teacher we used to talk cars at lunchtime when he was on yard duty
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My high school offered driver’s ed for the year 10 and 11 students in the early 2000's. It was not driving a car but it was education about being safe on the road.

For some stupid reason a bunch of parents, went before the school and got this part of the curriculum removed.

The reason we were basically given was that the time in this class once a week would be better off spent doing something else such as English, maths etc. and the funding this class was a waste of money. The class was scrapped when I got to year 10 and 11. This was not a public school either it was private and money was not usually an issue, but this seemed to be a massive issue.

Looking at the public school, my Girlfriend at the time attended, they got a driver’s ed class and got to drive an actual car, but after a few years this was scrapped as the local driving schools did not want to support this program as they were losing income.

The only time in year 11 we got spoken to about road safety was when a year 8 student was killed in a car accident, it was a massive school assembly and had a speak or two.

In year 12, we got our second talking to, because one of my class mates decided to drop the clutch in his VN in the school car park and smoke the car park out. We got lectured for 2 hours the next day about road safety.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

No, not a school thing but at least NSW is trialling this which will hopefully soon become the norm and gradually start to lift standards;

Safer Drivers Course for young learner drivers

I had my son attend one of these run by the nearest PCYC whilst he was on his 'L's earlier this year.

He had his supervised 'P's test 3 weeks and passed with 100%
Old 12-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We never had any drivers ed stuff, just in year 11 had a day where the police came out to us to talk about the new at the time P plate laws and how they'll save us from ourselves lol.

75% of the year level just took the day off because there was no classes, just this lecture from the police.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
I'd rather see driver's ED in like year 11-12 when I was in high school in the late 90's for phy's ed all we did was pump a bunch of weight's or there was a class called movie studies where you watch movies and discuss them.
maybe the funding should be pullrd from these useless classes and into a genuine class like drivers's.
We had a teacher who was a full on car guy he used to drive a fully restored australian AMC javelin and had a few chrysler's when we had him for some useless classes like movie studies he used to take us out to his cas and show us how to juck it up properly change a tyre etc... I loved that teacher we used to talk cars at lunchtime when he was on yard duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
My high school offered driver’s ed for the year 10 and 11 students in the early 2000's. It was not driving a car but it was education about being safe on the road.

For some stupid reason a bunch of parents, went before the school and got this part of the curriculum removed.

The reason we were basically given was that the time in this class once a week would be better off spent doing something else such as English, maths etc. and the funding this class was a waste of money. The class was scrapped when I got to year 10 and 11. This was not a public school either it was private and money was not usually an issue, but this seemed to be a massive issue.

Looking at the public school, my Girlfriend at the time attended, they got a driver’s ed class and got to drive an actual car, but after a few years this was scrapped as the local driving schools did not want to support this program as they were losing income.

The only time in year 11 we got spoken to about road safety was when a year 8 student was killed in a car accident, it was a massive school assembly and had a speak or two.

In year 12, we got our second talking to, because one of my class mates decided to drop the clutch in his VN in the school car park and smoke the car park out. We got lectured for 2 hours the next day about road safety.
I rest my case, funding is the issue
Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I agree, some part of early driver training should be a part of school.

When I was in primary school we all went on an excursion to some place which made us ride bicycles on a big open space setup with a grid of painted road lanes with working traffic lights and signs. It was an unforgettable experience and I've never seen anything like it since.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
marty351
Shenanigans..............

^ I remember that same place. I think its in or around Pascoe Vale.
It was to teach all us little preppies about road rules and more importantly pedestrian
safety.
I think some schools use computer simulation now but nothing beats practical experience.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post