Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #31
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Default Re: Muscle car masters: FPV GT F v HSV GTS

I dont know why everyone use's the GTS as the direct competitor to the GT. The Clubsport is its direct competitor dollar for dollar.
The GTS $100.000,
The GT $75,000,
the Clubsport $74000

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Its the first track comparison and I'm sure it won't be the last.

For those saying the driver was biased or the track was damp or whatever other excuse they'd like to make including that nobody takes these cars on the track anyway...consider this, an R Spec SC FPV got beaten by an SRT8 on a dry track, (Motor Magazine February 2013) and most on here, with the notable exception of those who own them and know different, think the SRT8 handles like a cruiser so what chance has a GT-F got against a GTS with its track spec suspension and DSC settings, supercar sized brakes and torque vectoring, on a decent dry track...

And before we all cry...ahhh but nobody takes their cars to the track, well the track gives you a far better indication of how a car will perform on your favourite bit of back country twisty road than a peak power dyno number does.

Thread title looks like GTS Vs GTF to me, what the **** does the sheetbox SRT got to do with anything?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #33
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
What the **** does the sheetbox SRT got to do with anything?
Everything...apparently?...
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #34
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Thread title looks like GTS Vs GTF to me, what the **** does the sheetbox SRT got to do with anything?
Just saying that if a R Spec can't beat a SRT8 around a dry track what hope has a very, very slightly tweaked R Spec, (AKA GT-F), got against a GTS ? NONE !!...and wet, dry or damp 2.3 seconds on a short track is a thorough belting any way people want to slice and dice it.

There's soooo much more to a car than a peak power dyno number...for instance amoung many, many other things the GTS is making about 50 rwkw's more power in the mid-range and has monster sized brakes.

Last edited by Rodge; 29-07-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #35
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fish keep biting Rodge.
Old 29-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #36
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Just saying that if a R Spec can't beat a SRT8 around a dry track what hope has a very, very slightly tweaked R Spec, (AKA GT-F), got against a GTS ? NONE !!...and wet, dry or damp 2.3 seconds on a short track is a thorough belting any way people want to slice and dice it.

There's soooo much more to a car than a peak power dyno number...for instance amoung many, many other things the GTS is making about 50 rwkw's more power in the mid-range and has monster sized brakes.
Your SRT8 will get smashed from every set of lights though Rodge where you will spend all of your time. Take it to the 1/4 and you will only be seeing tail lights from both an RSpec and a GTF, manual or auto.
I agree though the FPVs have nothing on the GTS when it comes to track. My mate is up to 6s a lap faster at QR than he was in the F6. I really hope Ford recall both press cars around Bathurst time because if they end up head to head around the mountain.... But in saying that they are point and shoot muscle with big slidey back ends, so to a certain degree FPV have nailed the brief.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #37
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Your SRT8 will get smashed from every set of lights though Rodge where you will spend all of your time. Take it to the 1/4 and you will only be seeing tail lights from both an RSpec and a GTF, manual or auto.
I agree though the FPVs have nothing on the GTS when it comes to track. My mate is up to 6s a lap faster at QR than he was in the F6. I really hope Ford recall both press cars around Bathurst time because if they end up head to head around the mountain.... But in saying that they are point and shoot muscle with big slidey back ends, so to a certain degree FPV have nailed the brief.
6 seconds is a MASSIVE difference mate, some of that will be the technical abilities of the GTS such as track settings on the DSC and suspension and the torque vectoring and massive brakes but still that's such a whopping difference and gives a clue about how good these things are to punt around your favourite bit of back-country blacktop.

Anyway this is about GT-F v GTS so moving back on topic I expect on a decent high speed track like Phillip Island the GTS will be several seconds faster. My guess would be 4.

Mate I can pull 0-100 in 4.8 over and over again, (which is quicker than me ol GT-P, (N.Z. Autocar 0-100 in 5.15 seconds) so getting smashed as you put it at the lights isn't even a remote possibility. Average times for the R Spec and GTS aren't much different to that so whoever has the best reaction times at the lights will be the winner and I have super quick reactions from years and years of misspent youth playing pinball, I was the Auckland University champ

At Aussie pricing there's no question the GF-F is a good bit of kit for the money, but $100,000 being fair value in N.Z is far more debateable.

Last edited by Rodge; 29-07-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #38
MercuryT
Banned

It shouldn't be a surprise the GTS is the better car, even to Ford fans.

It is newer, more expensive, and has considerably more features. Of course it will be a "better" car in that sense.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it's the better buy, nor most popular, nor most enjoyable to drive, nor all the subjective matters that go into a buying decision.

I haven't driven either but I already know if I was to buy one it would be the GTF - I think the GTS (and the VF series) looks terrible, and every time I went to wash it i'd have to look at it, which is a deal breaker regardless how good it is.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #39
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Lets drop the SRT talk please and stick to the topic. We can have a my nuts are bigger than yours thing in another thread. Oh hang on, already been done

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #40
Chopped
as in chopped

Sums it up
Old 29-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #41
AGS302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate I can pull 0-100 in 4.8 over and over again, (which is quicker than me ol GT-P, (N.Z. Autocar 0-100 in 5.15 seconds) so getting smashed as you put it at the lights isn't even a remote possibility. Average times for the R Spec and GTS aren't much different to that so whoever has the best reaction times at the lights will be the winner and I have super quick reactions from years and years of misspent youth playing pinball, I was the Auckland University champ

At Aussie pricing there's no question the GF-F is a good bit of kit for the money, but $100,000 being fair value in N.Z is far more debateable.
You're definitely pulling something over and over, and it isn't 0-100 times.
2009 FPV GS 302 #250/250
ZF And Leather
*Herrod Airbox *X-Force 2.5" Cat Back
Custom tuned by Ben at Auspeed Tuning Mackay to 270.5rwkw.
AGS302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #42
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post

Sums it up
Classic!
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #43
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS302 View Post
You're definitely pulling something over and over, and it isn't 0-100 times.
With Rodge on this one, my SRT has done consistent high 4's. And I'm a pretty average steerer. Wouldn't be as quick as a GTF but wouldn't be disgraced. It's porky 2012 kg *** being the main hinderance
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-07-2014, 01:53 AM   #44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a lot of people assume that the fastest car to 100 is the car that will be in front at 100. That might often be the case but not always. It depends on how the run is put together.
For example I've seen Racelogic GPS data of a Commodores 4.71 second 0 - 100 run where it took around 68.5 metres to get to 100.

When I compare that data to a 4.77 sec 0-100 run that my XR6T did, the Racelogic software tells me that my car would be nearly a car length (4.46 metres) in front of the Commodore when it gets to 100.
It just depends how the run is put together and the Commodore was a Manual whereas my car is an Auto.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post