Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

Unhappy Manual XR8 or Auto GT

Im in the Market for either a BA XR8 or a BA FPV (if i can get one under 40k)
I''d much rather a manual, which there a planty of 5sp around for about 35k,
I've also seen a few FPV for aorund 40k, since they are more scarce, im maybe thinking about a Auto GT.
So what do you guys think would be a better buy 4sp Auto GT or 5sp Manual XR8

BroncosXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
gtfpv
GT

me 4 speed auto gt
the 6 speed manual xr8 is just as fast as the 4speed auto gt.. but the 5 speed manual with the boss 260 doesnt cut it . i drove them all and noticed this .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
HSE2

You say you much rather a manual. Doesn't that answer the question? If you can’t get a GT in manual for the money you would like to pay you have a couple of choices.

Stick to your budget and buy your preferred transmission

Wait till the car you want comes to your budget
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

I would go the auto GT. Not that there is anything wrong with an XR8.
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

5sp Manual XR8 all the way manual is the only way to go
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

As you pointed out HSE2 i much prefer the manual, however im interested to see other peoples view on how these two would match up. Has anyone driven these two vehicles, Thanks guys for your replies.
Old 18-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
Steffo
LPG > You

For me, transmission isn't as relevant as the car being what I want. And in the case of FPV GT or Falcon XR8, the GT would just suit me better. Regardless of trans.

If you do prefer manual though, then you've answered your own question really.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
For me, transmission isn't as relevant as the car being what I want. And in the case of FPV GT or Falcon XR8, the GT would just suit me better. Regardless of trans.

If you do prefer manual though, then you've answered your own question really.
Thats right if you dont mind the auto then the GT is going to be a better car for u!
AnthonyQLD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #9
Rapid260

Manual all the way, look a bit harder & i think you should get be able to pick up a BA XR8 for under 40k, Manual in these bosses are such a driving plessure.

Kev
Rapid260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #10
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Go the manual. If you can find an auto GT in your price bracket, then you'll find a manual as well. If you strongly prefer manuals, then you'll just probably regret getting the auto down the track. By the way, mines a manual and I love it, much better then the auto (to my way of thinking anyway).

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not go test drive both cars, and fined which one suits you better. Just because someone on here doesn't like the 5spd manual, doesn't mean you will have the same opinion.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #12
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

Its a bit hard to drive the particular vehicles as im in Townsville and the cars im looking at are mostly in Vic or NSW, so when it comes to it i'll fly down and purchase the car.
I suppose i could go to the Ford/FPV dealer here (not that they have any 4sp anymore) however i dont think there to keen on letting a 23yo take a GT for a spin round the block. I have a friend that has a Mk II 6sp and have driven that, of course i liked it, beside it wallows around like a Cadillac. Is the 6sp vastly superior to a 5sp or is just better for handling more power?
Old 19-01-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

The main difference is the six speed has a better spread of ratios. Never driven a six speed, though they are supposed to have a better shift quality.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #14
WASP
Whipple Induced

I have owned a XR8 5 speed manual and now have a Mk2 GT manual.

Some people enjoy manual but don't mind a good auto either. Some hate auto's and love manuals. If you fit that description then the manual XR8 is the only consideration. If you're like me and prefer Manuals but also enjoy a good auto then this is my opinion.

The XR8 was a great car but the GT brings much more to the table in terms of personality, features and even performance in auto form. The only XR8 I would choose over a series 1 GT auto is a BF XR8 with the Mk2 6 speed being a tuff call as well. If we are talking about a series 1 XR8 5 speed then it's GT without a doubt IMO. The 4 speed auto GT with an CAPA edit can be quite a performer.
Old 19-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #15
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Go the GT but if you really want a manual, then wait a little longer one will pop up in your price range, it's just a waiting game...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #16
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
The main difference is the six speed has a better spread of ratios. Never driven a six speed, though they are supposed to have a better shift quality.
I've had both, six speed in my GT and the five in my old XR8. The six speed is a nicer box with less driveline shunt and closer spacing of the gears, but for all that I never did mind the five speed in my old XR8 and was happy with it. Denman Ford in Queensland have it on the lot for 35K and it was well cared for, low mileage and had some extras, so there are some bargains out their at the moment if you dont mind the five speed and look around.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'd go an XR8 5 speed over a GT 4 speed but I'm sure you'd be able to get a MkII 6 speed for the price of a GT 4 speed. I'm also sure if you were a little patient a nice 5 speed GT will pop up, then you can have a 5 speed GT
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #18
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would get the manual every time ... but that's a personal preference. A GT is just that .. a GT. It will always have the mystique that goes with that name. As much as I like the XR8s they are not a GT.
As for the performance ... generally a well driven XR8 manual is as good as or better than an auto 290 FPV.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post