Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #31
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Obscure QLD Traffic Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
There was or possibly still is a law in QLD where it is legal to take a leak on the rear passenger tyre of your car in public .
A bit of pointless trivia... I read a great book recently written by astronaut Chris Hadfield. He said that Russian cosmonauts routinely urinate on the tyre of the transport bus on the way to the launch pad, in a time-honoured tradition after Yuri Gagarin took an unscheduled pitstop to do it in 1961.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz View Post

Also "blocking rear window view" How do you tow a caravan in Queensland!!
Yes...or work vans, or twin cab fourbies like mine where you can hardly see anything in the interior rear view mirror, etc, etc.

We have an "interesting" police commissioner and other talking heads up here...just a week or so back they actually said that "The public has to lear it isn't socially acceptable to be friends with a bikie anymore". Not "outlaw bikie", just "bikie", slandering everyone who rides...and WTF, the public "must learn" what is "socially acceptable" and dictate who we can be friends with according to a government edict?

As the old cliche goes, "The novel 1984 was not meant to be an instruction manual for government departments..."
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #33
icantgetthis

Would a convertable parked with its roof off be classed as unsecured?

I guess I will have to stop doing in my merc..lol

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk
icantgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #34
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
" ( only obscure because the driver has insufficient knowledge to be a licence holder) .
e
And what do you determine to be 'sufficient knowledge' for a license holder?

Fwiw, calling people who have opinions on things different to your own the loony left, morons and idiots just shows you up to be the bigot your posts make you out to be.
Hope its comfy on that pedestal you live on.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #35
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
And what do you determine to be 'sufficient knowledge' for a license holder?

Fwiw, calling people who have opinions on things different to your own the loony left, morons and idiots just shows you up to be the bigot your posts make you out to be.
Hope its comfy on that pedestal you live on.
its cool man, moron is his favourite word
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #36
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen the size of the traffic law nowadays? Given the amount of stuff that's in there, and the new laws they keep coming up with, there is literally no way anyone could ever know everything that's hidden away in it.

Extremely good point about convertibles...even with the hood up they're not exactly "secure"...one slit with a pocket knife and you're in.
And how about old cars versus new cars? Even ignoring the fact old cars are far easier to get into than new cars, once you do manage to get into a new car, what do you do with it? Unless you're a professional thief, you can't hotwire and start it and drive it off.

Love also how they assume that a wound up window will absolutely always deter a thief who really wants to get into your car...
Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #37
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantgetthis View Post
Would a convertable parked with its roof off be classed as unsecured?

I guess I will have to stop doing in my merc..lol

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk
What about old cars that were designed in that way?

Used to have a 59 Bugeye. No door handles, no door locks, no bonet locks, perspex windows that slide across. Even if it was 'secured' as best it could be it would take all of 2 seconds to gain access and be sitting in the drivers seat. Parking in the city was a right pain.... where on the 'dash' could I leave the ticket without the constant worry of some tool just reaching in and taking it.

I always leave a small gap of 1cm on one of my windows. 1 because the seals are actually so good that it takes a fair bit more force to shut the door and 2 to vent hot air.

It's really a play on words... "Unsecured" means not secured, not reduced security. A car that has a 3cm open window still needs to be broken into, a car that has an open door or boot in my opinion is 'unsecured'...

I very much believe that there should be a list of petty 'crimes' that require an official first warning. Do it once out if ignorance of the exact letter of the law and get a recorded slap on the wrist, do it twice and then you can't use ignorance as an excuse.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #38
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Good lord will someone think of the moke drivers!!!

MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Causing a hazard by opening a car door...$44

Failure to leave 1 metre space in front and behind when parallel parking $44

Driving with animal on lap $256.30

Not giving way to restive horse, must pull over and stop engine. $110

Blocking rear window view $256

Failing to indicate off a roundabout could cost you $100.

Weird rules include fines for approaching a pedestrian crossing at a speed that is deemed too fast.

Changes to the laws mean you can't smoke in a vehicle with a child under 16 years old.

Drivers are now responsible for all the passengers not wearing seatbelts in a vehicle and it will cost you $300 and three points for each person not wearing one if you are caught.

Animals are no longer allowed to sit on your lap or on the petrol tank of a motorbike.

You can be fined $40 if you fail to secure your vehicle. Windows can be down up to 5cm.

Pedestrians walking or jogging on the road where there is no footpath or nature strip must face traffic or risk a $40 fine.

You can have your headlights on high beam in built-up areas 200m away from vehicles.

If you have time to stop safely when traffic lights turn yellow you must stop or you can be fined $300 and lose three points.

It can cost you $100 and three points if you drive past a no trucks sign with limits on length or weight, or disobeying a truck must use low gear sign.

Failing to turn left at an intersection on a multi-lane road from a slip lane on the multi-lane road will cost $60 and two points.

Unsafely overtaking on the right or left of a turning vehicle that is displaying a do not overtake turning vehicle sign can cost you two points and $140.

Drivers who increase their speed when being overtaken can be fined $60 and lose two points.

A stop sign is not more powerful than a give way sign.

On roads where lanes are marked, if your lane ends you have to give way to traffic already in the lane you are moving into, but if not marked when lines of traffic merge you must give way to the vehicle that is ahead.

Last edited by jpd80; 04-01-2014 at 10:35 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #40
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226797016499
Only in Qld...............
Old 09-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #41
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Courier Mail seems to be the newspaper version of ACA and like that show it suckers some in
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #42
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

xxx000..Courier Mail has no competition..There is the Brisbane Times online. Paper sales are dying..we wanted to cancell our subscription and they offered us 2 months free and 25% off for the next 6 months. The subscription department said " paper sales are falling and must retain all subscriptions." Paper paper will be gone within 10 years...
Old 10-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #43
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226798518970
Old 10-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #44
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

You can have your headlights on high beam in built-up areas 200m away from vehicles.

LOL
you have to question the stupidity
i drive on country roads a lot and high beams on 800 meters away are blinding
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #45
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
Good lord will someone think of the moke drivers!!!

Didn't think of that one! You can start the damn things with a spoon and drive off when the lock gets a bit old...we used to do that to a mates Moke all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Failure to leave 1 metre space in front and behind when parallel parking $44
Really? I don't think I've been in a parking space anywhere that allows you to do that...in most normal streets you have to do a fifteen point turn to get in and out of them, as the spaces are usually only just longer than most larger cars and twin cab utes.

Quote:
Not giving way to restive horse, must pull over and stop engine. $110
I actually got an official warning about this some years back. I was riding my motorbike and came over a rise to see a fricking horse in the middle of my lane, seemed pretty "restive". I swerved around it as I braked and tried to avoid it. There was a copper coming the other way and he hit the lights and chucked a u turn and pulled me over. He gave me a bollocking about "watching out for animals on the road", and quoted a fine (can;t remember how much it was then) and did mention the "restive horse" bit. I let him give me a warning and said "How about you book the idiot on the horse? This is a bloody highway with a 100kph limit...if I'd been in my car, that horse and rider...and maybe me...would be dead". He just said you "have to give way to animals".

Quote:
Blocking rear window view $256
Once again, "vans and trucks"...?

Quote:
If you have time to stop safely when traffic lights turn yellow you must stop or you can be fined $300 and lose three points.
Now this has been creating a few problems down south...it all depends on the judgement at the time of the copper, and if he "thinks" you "could" have stopped in time. haven't heard any issues here in Queensland with it...yet...but it will come.

Quote:
Drivers who increase their speed when being overtaken can be fined $60 and lose two points.
...and the prize for the least used fine in the fricking universe goes to....
Old 10-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #46
squire170

heres a little list i found
http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/el...tml?sort=3&o=0
squire170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #47
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I knew about the "tooting the horn" one. Drivers have been warned about that here in Queensland in the last few months. They said if you "drive off from a friends house and toot the horn, you can be fined".
I think it's called something like "unnecessary use of a signalling device", which is also what flashing the headlights at an oncoming car is covered under too.

When they're going to that lengths to make a few bucks, you know things are really getting dire...
Old 10-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #48
stevethepom

So its a warm ...Hot day and you have an animal in the car with you and pull up to go into the shops or whatever and leave the animal in the car and leave the window down ,plod comes along and sticks a ticket on you for unsecured vehicle , or you havent left the window down and dog is frying inside car plod comes along see's dog and smashes window to rescue dog you get done for cruelty to animal and a fine ! can't bloody win either way the b*stards will still get money out of your pocket either way !
stevethepom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post