Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Level crossing blocker

we've had a few discussions on level crossing railroads and the danger they pose. This looks like a better solution than a flashing light, a barrier that blocks the road (although fully across would be better to stop drivers going around it). This one malfunctions and the driver hits it, but you can see that it's effective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_0_o1N9hBw#t=28

Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Level crossing blocker

Problem is that so many accidents occur because in rural and industrial areas we have so MANY crossings, that most only get flashing lights or just a sign, due to the cost. So anything that increases cost, is self-defeating.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Problem is that so many accidents occur because in rural and industrial areas we have so MANY crossings, that most only get flashing lights or just a sign, due to the cost. So anything that increases cost, is self-defeating.
The accidents occur because drivers don't act with caution and prepare to stop. It's the same as accidents at give way signs. Do we replace all give way signs with traffic lights and boom gates? The bottom line is the driver, not the number of crossings or how they're protected.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

You dont mess with trains. Take another 10 seconds to stop and look.

I had a young lady run into me at a level crossing because she assumed I wouldnt stop at a STOP sign.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see some stupid stuff at level crossings all the time. there's all this big who ha about someone doing 10km/h over the speed limit safely but I very rarely see police enforcing level crossings. I reckon they should put red light cameras at every crossing with lights personally and start actually enforcing people running stop signs. I see this as more dangerous then someone doing a few km/h over the speed limit. I have actually seen someone drive around boom gates for crying out loud. Its just stupid that people would risk their lives just too beat a train
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These type of barriers will either malfunction or be vandalised - how long do you think before some idiot jams one upright? Emergency vehicles should still be able to get through when responding to a call provided great care is taken.

Putting video cameras to monitor the crossing would be effective - how many people proceed through as the boom gates are rising and the lights still flashing?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
The accidents occur because drivers don't act with caution and prepare to stop. It's the same as accidents at give way signs. Do we replace all give way signs with traffic lights and boom gates? The bottom line is the driver, not the number of crossings or how they're protected.

Note sure what your POINT is?
You’re advocating getting rid of all traffic controls because the driver should pay more attention?
Maybe we should get rid of ATC also, and just tell the pilots to be careful?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Note sure what your POINT is?
You’re advocating getting rid of all traffic controls because the driver should pay more attention?
Maybe we should get rid of ATC also, and just tell the pilots to be careful?
You said:
Quote:
so many accidents occur because in rural and industrial areas we have so MANY crossings, that most only get flashing lights or just a sign
as a cause of accidents. Which reads that it's the lack of boomgates that's the cause of the accidents, whereas it's the motorist not observing caution who's the cause of the accident.

I certainly advocate having increased protective devices on crossings but the bottom line is that the onus is on the driver to give way, regardless of what's protecting crossings.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An under-pass or an over-pass is the only true way to fix the problems of trains versus cars