Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Toll scam?

I don't know if this has happened in other states, but in NSW, RMS has introduced an additional fee for passing through tolls where your car is camera-detected rather than tag-detected. The fee is $0.55 per pass but I find in my first statement since this fee was introduced that some 30% of my tolls are camera-detected, which starts to add up in additional fees.

Good revenue-raising of course (speeding fines not enough?) and just to rub your face in the dirt even more, it's accompanied by patronising publicity advising you to make sure your tag is always in a readable position.

Well, hey, my tag is always in the same position, never moves, never covered, so it seems to me that the problem is on the RMS side of the fence. Their tag scanners aren't doing their job properly and us mugs are being charged for that.

Any thoughts on this opportunistic bit of extra tolling. Does it happen in other states too?

new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toll scam?

If you have toll tag. Contact them and the fee is waived.

If you are getting that many camera detections I would be getting another the tag replaced or fixing it in a different spot
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

People used to save the $40 tag fee by registering the plates and just getting 1 tag for the main car. I guess the toll companies will fine these people into getting a tag for each vehicle.

I wonder how much interest they are getting from every $40 tag fee they are holding? Nice little side earner that!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot View Post
If you have toll tag. Contact them and the fee is waived.

If you are getting that many camera detections I would be getting another the tag replaced or fixing it in a different spot
Agreed with Dave, get them to use that tag deposit to some use and make them replace the tag (free of charge).
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
Agreed with Dave, get them to use that tag deposit to some use and make them replace the tag (free of charge).
It does sound like a defective tag. I called them a while back about the same sort of issue and they will refund any fees they charge should the tag be the problem. Has this issue gone on for a while or just appeared in the last statement? I don't know how far back they will go with the refunds.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the last statement is the only one that covers the period since the fee was introduced.

Yes I'll have the tag checked. Thanks all for the advice.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happens in QLD..50c video fee..get charged it even when they take the toll out!!
I had my tags replaced, free.
Old 20-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It happens in Victoria too.I got heaps of them recently due to a faulty eTag and when I rang up about them I was refunded in full and a little bit extra on top.A phone call is all it should take.