Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #31
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Default Re: Is carbon fibre on the way out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA
Which top motor shows are you talking about? At those shows, Carbon fibre wrapped cars wouldnt make it in at the gate.
You'll see plenty of wrap at Summernats* and AutoSalon etc.

*there was a Top60 car last year with a wrap job, a terrible one at that (it had tears, visible cuts, and wrinkles). I guess it only made Top60 because it was a VE commo coupe.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon View Post
you seem to miss the concept of Carbon Fibre not *just* being a pattern on some vinyl.
There's that.

Also the only people I've found that say (and swear black and blue about it) the wrap looks just as good as the real thing, have never actually seen the real thing.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
Which top motor shows are you talking about? At those shows, Carbon fibre wrapped cars wouldnt make it in at the gate.
Wrapped cars do and carbon fibre isn't just a wrap, real carbon fibre is used as well.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #34
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
I was talking the real deal, but since you mentioned hit...Summernats, MotoEx...

Wrap's in general are used by the big names...Astill, Myers, Grmusa etc...

Steve Nogas has his Camaro wrapped in Black vinyl...and there was a XY at summernats 25 that had a full brushed metal wrap, with carbon vinyl stripes...

Vinyl wrap is just another exterior option, beats airbrushing! Proper carbon is just another material to build with...

So, yes, Carbon Fiber is still in...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #35
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

A vinyl wrap is like anything else, the cheap stuff isn't great just like a cheap paintjob doesn't compare to a great, big dollar paintjob, same with wheels, engine builds, etc. If vinyl wraps are good enough for mutli thousand dollar AMG's, Beemers, GTR's, etc. then they're god enough for whatever qualifies as an elite car in Australia.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #36
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
A vinyl wrap is like anything else, the cheap stuff isn't great just like a cheap paintjob doesn't compare to a great, big dollar paintjob, same with wheels, engine builds, etc. If vinyl wraps are good enough for mutli thousand dollar AMG's, Beemers, GTR's, etc. then they're god enough for whatever qualifies as an elite car in Australia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-IYh8Ln0wQ shows some of the higher end of it.
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post