Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2.3Litre EcoBoost for Focus RS/2015 Mustang

From Motortrend:

We Hear: Next-Gen Ford Focus RS Will Crank Out 330 HP with 2.3L EcoBoost I-4
Written by: Karla Sanchez [G+] on June 14 2012 12:30 PM

If the 2013 Ford Focus ST isn’t a hot enough hatch for you, a 330-hp Ford Focus RS might be more your style. A Ford bigwig confirmed that if a future Focus RS model is approved, the car will likely use a 2.3-liter EcoBoost four instead of the ST’s 2.0-liter EcoBoost four, Auto Express reports.

If a next-gen Focus RS comes to fruition, under its hood you’ll find a tuned version of the 2.3-liter Ecoboost engine we expect to see in the 2015 Ford Mustang. We’ve reported before that a revival of the SVO moniker may be in the works for the 2015 Mustang, and that it would use the 2.3-liter Ecoboost turbo-four, producing between 250 hp and 300 hp.

The recalibrated engine for the RS could crank out 330 hp, 30 horses more than previous Focus RS’ 300-hp 2.5-liter turbo inline-five, but less than the Focus RS500′s output closer to 350 hp.

“The combination of comparatively narrow body, upright seating position, brutal traction, low gear ratios and accessible turbo-boosted torque means you can demolish a narrow mountain road with a kind of confidence that would leave most supercars and their drivers in your dust,” we said in our review of the 2010 Focus RS. While we found the previous-gen car nothing short of exhilarating, we can only imagine the new RS’ power bump will make it that much better.

The new RS will reportedly sport a mechanical limited-slip differential as standard equipment, plus bigger brakes and a stiffer suspension. Ford may rule out the all-wheel drive you’d expect from hot hatches like the Volkswagen Golf R. A RevoKnuckle front strut or the torque-steer compensation system found in the previous Focus RS could be used instead. The RS is expected to go on sale by the end of 2013, but there’s no guarantee we’ll ever see it in the U.S. above the $24,495 Ford Focus ST.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-ne...#ixzz1xp0rUvL0

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: 2.3Litre EcoBoost for Focus RS/2015 Mustang

I seen yesterday that the next Gen RS wont even be a Focus due to the 5 door, more then likely a Fiesta, if it had 330bhp it will be one formidable car.
Old 15-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Fiesta ST, Focus ST, (rumoured) Fiesta RS, EcoBoost Mustang = all exciting products that will keep me owning Fords for a long time yet.

I hope we get them all here in a timely manner.

Last edited by LeadFoot81; 15-06-2012 at 02:18 PM.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's supposed to be a 2.7L V6 EcoBoost too. I am guessing for Explorer, Edge, Fusion/Mondeo, and Taurus.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
There's supposed to be a 2.7L V6 EcoBoost too. I am guessing for Explorer, Edge, Fusion/Mondeo, and Taurus.
I haven't heard of that engine in a while - it seems all the rumours are swinging back towards the 2.3Litre.

I don't know if the 2.7 V6 (some call it the 'Nano') has been canned or if it's still in development for a much later release date (after 2016?).

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I seen yesterday that the next Gen RS wont even be a Focus due to the 5 door, more then likely a Fiesta, if it had 330bhp it will be one formidable car.
Question is would the bigger engine even fit in the Fiesta. Biggest engine at the moment is a 1.6.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Question is would the bigger engine even fit in the Fiesta. Biggest engine at the moment is a 1.6.
1.6 barely even fits in there as it is.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

2.0 used to fit into the old Fiesta. Doesn't seem such a stretch.

Lukeyson
Old 16-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

If they did a Fiesta RS, I highly doubt it would be with the 2.3.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

If the Motor Trend article is correct, it explains why the US won't get a Focus RS.
Old 16-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
If they did a Fiesta RS, I highly doubt it would be with the 2.3.
Where theres a will theres a way. IMHO the RS cannot be a 5 door (Yeah i know there has been some in the past.)
Old 16-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Last I heard, the RS team were tinkering with the 2.0 Ecoboost and had it at a reliable 380 hp
but it looks like they have decided to change tack and go with a US based Ecoboost:

Quote:
Speaking at the launch of the 247bhp Focus ST, chief program engineer for the ST and all other global performance cars, Matthias Ton, stated that the 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine used by the ST was close to its power limit without significantly upgrading its fuel system and turbocharger.

Ton confirmed that, if a next-generation Focus RS is produced, it is likely to use a tuned version of the 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine currently under development in North America. Though destined to replace the heavier V6 units found in entry-level Ford Mustangs in the US, this powerplant could be calibrated to suit the sportier Focus RS.

With 330bhp the new 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine would have 32bhp more than the previous generation 301bhp 2.5-litre five-cylinder turbo RS, and almost as much power as the 345bhp limited edition RS500.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...#ixzz1xvSmVqMu
How would a 330 hp 2.3 Ecoboost go in a Falcon?

Preddy damned good I'd say...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post