Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #61
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Further investment at Broady

In fairness, Holden have done their sums and concluded that they want to stay in Australia as a manufacturer,
it's costing them money to do so but it's also a continuing opportunity to pick up sales they may not get with imports
and with nearly $3 billion of their $4.4 billion revenue coming from local production who can blame them....

Even with production at around 3,200 a month, Ford still gets valuable return on every vehicle made, the majority
of Territory sales being +$40,000 retail gives them a higher average transaction price than would be possible with
Falcon only production, this is key to continued production in Australia and adding a new product with good return is key.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #62
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
both you and the OP work at Ford in some capacity, obviously in different areas. the OP has a very positive news story to share and yet you are still throwing your wet blanket around, being all negative?? i just don't understand why you wouldn't be excited by this news. why would ford continue to invest if they were shutting it down?? as mentioned already, ford australia is one of only 3 hubs that can design and build a car from scratch. there is manufacturing here, and the signs are it will be here for some time yet.

chin up mate. start believing rather than be sucked into the tripe you read surrounding sales data. pretty sure ford would have access to much more in depth data than what the experts on AFF have.
All this software upgrade proves is that the 2014 Falcon will probably have these features.

So what, its already been paid for and confirmed that there will be an updated 2014 Falcon. We already know that.

Just because of some updated software/equipment doesn't mean jack for anything post 2016 does it.

If I could go into detail about whats happening internally it might make you change your tune, but they are things I can't discuss on here.

As for another supposed vehicle being worked on, that doesn't mean much either until that can be confirmed as being built here, it may just be a vehicle for another market such as the Chinese Focus, or Ranger SUV.

Every single automotive consultant knows the numbers are completely unviable, and the red ink proves it. Do Ford know something the others don't?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #63
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Well lets see.... Locally produced cars, Holden: Commodore 2521 + Cruze 2860 + Ute 817 + Caprice ~150? = 6348

Ford: Falcon 1008 + Territory 1280 + Ute 584 = 2872

That's a massive difference of 3500 units.

Holden has committed to local manufacture for at least the next decade. New Commodore is just around the corner. A new export deal has been announced.

What has Ford done on the other hand? They committed to build the current Falcon to 2016 with an update in 2014. What happens after 2016? They have been deadly silent about this, which is why there is so much uncertainty.

I believe this will be the new era of the falcon, and ford are just building up suspense. all these line upgrades are just the beginning
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #64
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Add to that JPFS1's cryptic "...another car being worked on.."
I take it as action on previous statements by Ford execs, that FoA will be a regional development centre for the company in the APA.

This does not directly translate to our local offerings, but rather that even if we no longer build Fords in this country, we will at least carry on being a centre of excellence.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #65
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Buntz, you make a good point, that statement is correct.

My comment about another car, wasn't meant to imply evolution of local product or all new model into the mix. There are things happening, you guys will have to sweat on that tidbit for a while.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #66
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
the red ink proves it. Do Ford know something the others don't?

Ford and Holden have dipped into the read ink many times before, ford have even made profits on the small numbers as little as two years ago...

"red ink" means nothing...unless you are one of the people whom are in control what ford expenditures are, where money is coming and going etc...If they are willing to spend money on australia's operations...that's got to say something?

Given ford's investments into the falcon over the past year, its no surprise there will be a loss...Terri upgrades, diesel and EB4 engines don't cost nothing.

Ford Au is not a standalone area, its Ford Asia pacific...

I can understand being a disgruntled worker...but that's all your comments come across sometimes...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #67
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other car ford is working on, could that be the Mustang.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #68
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Ford and Holden have dipped into the read ink many times before, ford have even made profits on the small numbers as little as two years ago...

"red ink" means nothing...unless you are one of the people whom are in control what ford expenditures are, where money is coming and going etc...If they are willing to spend money on australia's operations...that's got to say something?

Given ford's investments into the falcon over the past year, its no surprise there will be a loss...Terri upgrades, diesel and EB4 engines don't cost nothing.Ford Au is not a standalone area, its Ford Asia pacific...

I can understand being a disgruntled worker...but that's all your comments come across sometimes...
Well, seeing that new terri/diesel has only been on sold for a year & EB has only just gone on sold, most of that investment is still on the balance sheet, not appearing on any profit or loss statment yet.. Red ink is big trouble. If you added the last 5-6 years of P&L results, Ford AUST would still be in the red.. No point making 2 very small profits if on both sides of that where your 2 biggest losses on record!!

I truly hope Ford can turn this around, but there is a long road ahead before that happens..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #69
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil
The other car ford is working on, could that be the Mustang.
Or a car for the Chinese market...like say, upgraded LHD Figo?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #70
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

A recent quote(s) (last week) by Graziano...

Quote:
“Ford Australia currently has 125 patents pending for new and advanced technological developments, which will continue to strengthen future design breakthroughs.”
Turning to the argument put forward in some quarters that government should not support the local industry with subsidies, he pointed out that Australian government subsidy was quite modest when compared to many other countries with car industries.

Quote:
“In Australia (government support) is $17 per head of population, compared with the US at $32 per capita and $230 in Sweden” he said.
Areas of innovation in new fuel sources, technology in achieving 75% recyclable materials in cars, developing new technologies and manufacturing processes are all part of the vision of new horizons for the local industry.

On Ford specifically Mr Graziano pointed to the new 5 star ANCAP rated, Australian designed Ranger, and the all new Territory, as a sign of the company’s commitment to the future.

Quote:
“It must be acknowledged that Australia is one of the most competitive markets, with some 62 brands and 320 model variants, compared with the much larger US market with 32 brands, trying to attract the consumer.”
Quote:
“But working smarter will continue to make the Australia market, not only challenging, but one that will continue to be an important element on the local manufacturing horizon.” he concluded.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #71
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

You could not be further from the thruth, i'm very happy working for Ford and I love the company and its vehicles, just hate the way the place is being run into the ground by incompetent management.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #72
prydey
Rob

Quote:
just hate the way the place is being run into the ground
to be fair, that is your opinion.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #73
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
A recent quote(s) (last week) by Graziano...

Turning to the argument put forward in some quarters that government should not support the local industry with subsidies, he pointed out that Australian government subsidy was quite modest when compared to many other countries with car industries.

Areas of innovation in new fuel sources, technology in achieving 75% recyclable materials in cars, developing new technologies and manufacturing processes are all part of the vision of new horizons for the local industry.

On Ford specifically Mr Graziano pointed to the new 5 star ANCAP rated, Australian designed Ranger, and the all new Territory, as a sign of the company’s commitment to the future.
125 Patents!

Go Ford Australia. You guys do great work.
Old 13-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #74
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You could not be further from the thruth, i'm very happy working for Ford and I love the company and its vehicles, just hate the way the place is being run into the ground by incompetent management.
When we see reductions in product it's natural to assume someone is incompetent but
isn't it more likely that Ford is responding to buyers not wanting certain products in the
volumes they once did?
I mean, those Ecoboost engines are in high demand in USA and their engine plants
are not yet up and running so maybe Ford only has a trickle supply of Ecoboost engines anyway.

I wouldn't be so hard on management, I think they are doing a good job of justifying continued
production here by right sizing to demand and cutting costs to the minimum.

It's hard I know but it's better than the alternative..............
Old 13-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #75
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When we see reductions in product it's natural to assume someone is incompetent but
isn't it more likely that Ford is responding to buyers not wanting certain products in the
volumes they once did?
I mean, those Ecoboost engines are in high demand in USA and their engine plants
are not yet up and running so maybe Ford only has a trickle supply of Ecoboost engines anyway.

I wouldn't be so hard on management, I think they are doing a good job of justifying continued

Ecoboost is simply a solution to America's aversion to diesel engines. The fact you can't even get a diesel in a bloody F150 over there, over here you can't even get a Ranger in petrol. If that doesn't tell you the difference in the market nothing will. Although politically it meant Ford could keep the money allocated from the Government for local Focus, improving Falcon sales probably wasn't even considered.

Almost three years ago I predicted Ecoboost will be a disaster - not because of the product but because the market needs to be sold it - something FOA arnt capable of. Diesel was the saviour as the hard work of selling it has been done by BMW, Merc, VW etc. the word 'diesel' must have tens of millions of dollars of brand recognition in this market. Whereas some schmuck thinks Ecoboost is the new name for the I6 like the Ecotech name Holden had for the engine in the Commodore.

Last edited by Brazen; 13-06-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #76
BroadyFord

delete

Last edited by BroadyFord; 13-06-2012 at 12:40 PM.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #77
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Ecoboost is simply a solution to America's aversion to diesel engines. The fact you can't even get a diesel in a bloody F150 over there, over here you can't even get a Ranger in petrol.
the cost of fuel and different buyer perspective, 90% of f150s are V6 Ecoboost and 5.0 V8s
if that isn't If that doesn't tell you the difference in the market nothing will.

Quote:
Almost three years ago I predicted Ecoboost will be a disaster - not because of the product but because the market needs to be sold it - something FOA arnt capable of. Diesel was the saviour as the hard work of selling it has been done by BMW, Merc, VW etc. the word 'diesel' must have tens of millions of dollars of brand recognition in this market. Whereas some schmuck thinks Ecoboost is the new name for the I6 like the Ecotech name Holden had for the engine in the Commodore.
People or more correctly, Fleets no longer want big sedans, nothing you do will change that.
I do believe a diesel Falcon was justified but Ford went with Ecoboost and that ship has sailed..
Old 13-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #78
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

I'm going to make an early call and say the Ecoboost has been a failure. At the rate they have been building them over the past few weeks it will total around 65 of them for the month. They were predicting 250, so they are so far away from that it isn't funny. It will need significant fleet orders and some form of promotion if they want it to get to where they predicted it would be. But on the other hand what were they expecting by not advertising it in any way. Everyone said from the start it would need its strengths and advantages promoted or it wouldn't get off the ground, surely they could see that. To just ignore that and do nothing is staggering, especially after they spent tens of millions on getting the thing to market.

I've just read a new review in the current Motor and they loved it just as much as Wheels did. It deserves better treatment than what Ford are prepared to give it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Ecoboost is simply a solution to America's aversion to diesel engines. The fact you can't even get a diesel in a bloody F150 over there, over here you can't even get a Ranger in petrol. If that doesn't tell you the difference in the market nothing will. Although politically it meant Ford could keep the money allocated from the Government for local Focus, improving Falcon sales probably wasn't even considered.
I'm pretty sure you can get a petrol Ranger here, in the base 4x2.