Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Jay Leno Interviews Alan Mulally

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/segmen...ew/index.shtml

Again Mulally does not mention the 'Falcon'... but Jay does right at the last moment. Don't get too excited. He mentioned his mother owned it.

Jay is a Ford man.

Old 26-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Jay Leno Interviews Alan Mulally

much respect for Alan. He turned around Ford Motor Company, not with new ideas but integrating all the business units to achieve a common goal.
I do like the idea of One Ford and would be keen to get more of the vehicles available overseas here.
Old 26-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno about Alan Mulally. Obviously hugely talented and has done wonders for Ford as a company. But I think he's making Ford more like another Toyota. He's not a car guy. He knows how to make a company profitable, but its the culture under his direction that make decisions like no RWD for Lincoln for example - decisions that improve the bottom line but do little to attract the loyal enthusiasts.

Just a thought...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
I dunno about Alan Mulally. Obviously hugely talented and has done wonders for Ford as a company. But I think he's making Ford more like another Toyota. He's not a car guy. He knows how to make a company profitable, but its the culture under his direction that make decisions like no RWD for Lincoln for example - decisions that improve the bottom line but do little to attract the loyal enthusiasts.

Just a thought...

Those loyal enthusiats, the ones that clamour for RWD, are now Baby Boomers in the twilight of their lives. Sales to that demographic are beginning to dimish as they age and stop driving.

Alan Mulally's 'One Ford' is looking to the future and targeting the 'global' enthusiast with cars like the Focus ST - that's where the enthusiast market lies now, though they are looking at making the Mustang more appealing to a global audience for the next update (2015?).

Having said that, I can still see the need for a niche RWD car in the luxury (Lincoln) end of the market.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Those loyal enthusiats, the ones that clamour for RWD, are now Baby Boomers in the twilight of their lives. Sales to that demographic are beginning to dimish as they age and stop driving.

Alan Mulally's 'One Ford' is looking to the future and targeting the 'global' enthusiast with cars like the Focus ST - that's where the enthusiast market lies now, though they are looking at making the Mustang more appealing to a global audience for the next update (2015?).

Having said that, I can still see the need for a niche RWD car in the luxury (Lincoln) end of the market.

Good points.

I was just using RWD as one example - a good one though IMO. No doubt the Focus ST and Mustang are good examples of exciting cars from Ford, but I'm just worried the list is dwindling in the pursuit of "one Ford"
Old 26-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Just a thought...
Well your ideas would have completely sunk Ford further because RWD sedans is not what the market wants. Ford has nailed it with the small cars, crossovers, and Ranger for the global market. Yes Ford should have RWD cars for Lincoln, but it should not have been the priority. By the way, I don't think RWD sedans would translate much to sales and profitability. As for driver's cars, Ford has nailed it with the Mustang range and Taurus SHO.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Good points.

I was just using RWD as one example - a good one though IMO. No doubt the Focus ST and Mustang are good examples of exciting cars from Ford, but I'm just worried the list is dwindling in the pursuit of "one Ford"
Ford is and always has been a mass-market manufacturer. If they ignore the mass market simply to cater to enthusiasts they will die.

If they become hugely profitable, they can pursue indulgences like more performance cars and more luxurious cars.
Old 26-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:

Just a thought...
5.0L Mustang & 5.8L S/C GT500 alongside state of the art Ecoboost 4 & 6 cylinder engines including performance applications like the SHO..

Some cars only need to go from A - B (Toyota..) but he hasn't killed the cool car names, under him they have massivly improved.

Great interview with the man that saved the Brand we are all here to support, lets hope his plans for Australia are just as good for the workers, designers and the auto industry as they have been in the states.
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
washoutbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
Ford is and always has been a mass-market manufacturer. If they ignore the mass market simply to cater to enthusiasts they will die.

If they become hugely profitable, they can pursue indulgences like more performance cars and more luxurious cars.
I think that's a good point.

If I were building one ford I'd try to design cars that you could pull apart easily and attach sports and technology stuff.

I'd even design the interior to be able to be changed easily and like an mobile phone ap, customers could change and upgrade it after a year or add more tech stuff easily and on their own.

So car geeks can design sensors that keep you in your lane and you just buy it like a computer game from ford. Just plug it in or add it as an option in the command centre.

Old folk like us can buy safety stuff and the kids can buy a head up display that projects lady gaga or idol when they are parked and waiting for a friend
washoutbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
but I'm just worried the list is dwindling in the pursuit of "one Ford"
Returning to Ford's roots.

one Ford, one model, one colour.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by washoutbeach
I think that's a good point.

If I were building one ford I'd try to design cars that you could pull apart easily and attach sports and technology stuff.

I'd even design the interior to be able to be changed easily and like an mobile phone ap, customers could change and upgrade it after a year or add more tech stuff easily and on their own.

So car geeks can design sensors that keep you in your lane and you just buy it like a computer game from ford. Just plug it in or add it as an option in the command centre.

Old folk like us can buy safety stuff and the kids can buy a head up display that projects lady gaga or idol when they are parked and waiting for a friend
That could very well happen in the future, but first they had to consolidate what they had. They've re-baselined the corporation. They've pared down facilities, chassis, and divisions to a minimum. Once they start earning money they can expand again.

And maybe they'll invest in a new RWD sedan chassis.

It all depends on what China wants.
Old 27-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
mash85

credit where credit is due, he has lead a team of people which have turned around the company. BUT if there is one tip I can offer Alan, ditch the red vest, no one is loving that.
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Just a thought...
When he worked for Boeing he drove a Lexus LS, so surely he should know at least that luxury cars are mostly RWD, or at least the big luxury players cars are. Apparently he loved the G6E Turbo and claimed it was one of the best cars Ford built, and he used one as a company car in Detroit for a short period, so maybe he likes cars a little bit more than what some people think he might.

Quote:

They are raking in at least 6 billion a quarter now, and have for a while now, debt is nearly all gone and cash on hand in very high. Surely they are in safe enough waters now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #14
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Not so good news for the quarter, though:

Quote:
3rd Gear: Ford Earnings Down 45% In 1st Quarter
Ford reported a 45% decline in first quarter earnings Friday, narrowly beating analyst expectations. Profits fell to $1.4 billion on revenues of $32.4 billion, from $2.6 billion the same quarter last year. About half the decrease was due to a higher tax rate, with the remainder due to factors such as softening global markets and comparisons with a strong first quarter last year, the automaker's best since 1998. The company also announced Friday it is offering lump sum pension buyouts for retirees, the first program of its kind. No other details yet.
Source: http://jalopnik.com/5904460/2013-she...-earnings-drop
Old 28-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:

Just a thought...
Unfortunately I think you're right. Everything I've seen from cars under One Ford indicates that they are drifting closer towards the 'Toyota' end of the spectrum of steering and handling. We've already been disappointed once by the Mk. 3 Focus, which handles much worse than its predecessor and, according to most people, looks bland (although I personally like the way it looks). We were again disappointed by the blatantly American looking Fudeo, replacing the superbly penned lines of the current Mondeo. I really hope it doesn't handle like a Ford badged Camry.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Good points.

Here in Australia and in Europe, Ford is the brand for those who need a practical small/mid-sized/family/whatever car but still want it to handle and steer, with effortless torque all round. Up to the release of the LW Focus, this applied to Ford's entire range, from the Fiesta CL to the G6E. It's what attracts me to the Ford brand. In the pursuit of One Ford I'm afraid that we are losing this.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

spew I thought jay was going to ask allan about the australian falcon.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
Unfortunately I think you're right. Everything I've seen from cars under One Ford indicates that they are drifting closer towards the 'Toyota' end of the spectrum of steering and handling. We've already been disappointed once by the Mk. 3 Focus, which handles much worse than its predecessor and, according to most people, looks bland (although I personally like the way it looks). We were again disappointed by the blatantly American looking Fudeo, replacing the superbly penned lines of the current Mondeo. I really hope it doesn't handle like a Ford badged Camry.
I think you have this wrong, from all i've heard about the new Focus is that it handles just as good as previous models, but the steering has lost a little of its feel, since switching to electric to save fuel, but this is the way it is these days, fuel saving is so important, and even Porsche has gone through the same thing with the new 911, exactly the same as the Focus, the steering on the new model isn't as good as previous, but its a necessary small sacrifice for fuel saving.

And whats this about the Mondeo's styling, you are the first person I have heard who has said its a backwards step on the previous one, I think you're on your own there buddy with that opinion.

I have no doubt Ford will continue making cars that are great drivers cars, not whitegoods, because they know it does not cost any extra to make a car handle and steer really well than what it does to make a car drive poorly. And its only going to win them sales. Has anyone ever heard of someone saying they won't buy a certain car because it feels too sporty to drive.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
When he worked for Boeing he drove a Lexus LS, so surely he should know at least that luxury cars are mostly RWD, or at least the big luxury players cars are. Apparently he loved the G6E Turbo and claimed it was one of the best cars Ford built, and he used one as a company car in Detroit for a short period, so maybe he likes cars a little bit more than what some people think he might.

They are raking in at least 6 billion a quarter now, and have for a while now, debt is nearly all gone and cash on hand in very high. Surely they are in safe enough waters now.
I wasn't aware of him using a G6ET in Detroit. But it wouldn't surprise me. He did love it. I just hope he will save it, and find a way to integrate it into the global Ford world. And the first step into that world of course would be EcoBoost. Hey look! A Falcon EcoBoost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
5.0L Mustang & 5.8L S/C GT500 alongside state of the art Ecoboost 4 & 6 cylinder engines including performance applications like the SHO..

Some cars only need to go from A - B (Toyota..) but he hasn't killed the cool car names, under him they have massivly improved.

Great interview with the man that saved the Brand we are all here to support, lets hope his plans for Australia are just as good for the workers, designers and the auto industry as they have been in the states.
I approve much of your post. There wouldn't be a Ford to love if it weren't for Alan Mulally.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And whats this about the Mondeo's styling, you are the first person I have heard who has said its a backwards step on the previous one, I think you're on your own there buddy with that opinion.
I agree, I'll admit I actually got excited when the fusion/mondeo concept came out, and secretly hoped it would be badged as a Falcon with RWD and 6/8 option or perhaps awd. Sadly it wont happen.

I heard Alan Mulally talk about the future of Ford and Ford Australia. His done a great job.

But pure and simple he is a business man not a car enthusiast/
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
But pure and simple he is a business man not a car enthusiast/

And this was my point.

If your in his job, and you only have one of those traits - you better hope its the first one. Ford needs a sound businessman at the helm and they have that in Alan Mulally. But a truly great auto industry leader should have a bit of enthusiast in them as well. Cars are unique products that generate enthusiastic fans like few others - ignore that whole aspect of the business at your peril. Even Toyota are trying to appeal to the enthusiast buyer now with their new RWD coupe.

One Ford will see every Ford car worldwide move closer and closer to what the US market dictates. Mulally might have saved the company, but I cant say I'm at all excited with what the future looks like at Ford...

(Unless the next gen Mustang is a cracker, and a world car, and comes to Australia. That would placate me nicely)
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Is there really a need to make a deal about every artical with a Ford employee, not mentioning the falcon...?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
And this was my point.

If your in his job, and you only have one of those traits - you better hope its the first one. Ford needs a sound businessman at the helm and they have that in Alan Mulally. But a truly great auto industry leader should have a bit of enthusiast in them as well. Cars are unique products that generate enthusiastic fans like few others - ignore that whole aspect of the business at your peril. Even Toyota are trying to appeal to the enthusiast buyer now with their new RWD coupe.

One Ford will see every Ford car worldwide move closer and closer to what the US market dictates. Mulally might have saved the company, but I cant say I'm at all excited with what the future looks like at Ford...

(Unless the next gen Mustang is a cracker, and a world car, and comes to Australia. That would placate me nicely)
His second in charge is Bill Ford though, who would have a massive influence you would imagine being the torch bearer of the Ford family.

And you'd have to imagine he'd be an absolute car nut being from such a family. It would be interesting just how much influence they would all have in terms of the direction their products take.

At the end of the day Mullaly is a business man who's job it is to make money, i'm sure the car guys have more an an imfluence in terms of product than what he has, cause at the end of the day I doubt wether he would be the one saying "this is what our cars should be".

I'd think that would be left to the senior product planners who's job it is to know what they want their cars to be.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #24
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I recently ordered this book:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Icon-...5874151&sr=1-1

Should be an interesting read.

I love how people vilify the guy who has made Ford solvent again.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #25
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I recently ordered this book:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Icon-...5874151&sr=1-1

Should be an interesting read.

I love how people vilify the guy who has made Ford solvent again.

That would be an interesting read, I might get a copy myself.

Who has been vilifying Mulally though?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #26
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
His second in charge is Bill Ford though, who would have a massive influence you would imagine being the torch bearer of the Ford family.

And you'd have to imagine he'd be an absolute car nut being from such a family. It would be interesting just how much influence they would all have in terms of the direction their products take.

At the end of the day Mullaly is a business man who's job it is to make money, i'm sure the car guys have more an an imfluence in terms of product than what he has, cause at the end of the day I doubt wether he would be the one saying "this is what our cars should be".

I'd think that would be left to the senior product planners who's job it is to know what they want their cars to be.

Bill Ford... if he's anything like his great great grandfather (or whatever Henry is to him) he'd be fanatically pragmatic business man who sees cars merely as machines for basic transportation. I'm sure thats not the case, but its all speculation either way.

Your right though in what your saying about development - its not like Al is out there at the testing ground honing damper rates on a new Mondeo. And as you said earlier, modern safety and efficiency standards are the main culprit for the decline in driving dynamics.

But I think its inevitble that One Ford will result in less-interesing, more profitable cars, generally speaking.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The WS Fiesta has electric power steering and its probably the best handling car I've ever driven, you slightly move that wheel and the car will respond dead on accurate to where you want it to go. There is still feedback through the wheel as well.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #28
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Who has been vilifying Mulally though?
All the people complaining that he's killed off vehicles they liked and that he's making Ford into bland Toyota.

Quote:
Bill Ford... if he's anything like his great great grandfather (or whatever Henry is to him)
Henry Ford begat Edsel Ford, who begat Henry Ford II, Benson Ford, and William Clay Ford. William Clay Ford begat William Clay Ford Jr.

So, great grandfather. (And William Clay Ford Sr. is still with us!)
Old 02-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Bill Ford... if he's anything like his great great grandfather (or whatever Henry is to him) he'd be fanatically pragmatic business man who sees cars merely as machines for basic transportation. I'm sure thats not the case, but its all speculation either way.

Your right though in what your saying about development - its not like Al is out there at the testing ground honing damper rates on a new Mondeo. And as you said earlier, modern safety and efficiency standards are the main culprit for the decline in driving dynamics.

But I think its inevitble that One Ford will result in less-interesing, more profitable cars, generally speaking.
As has been mentioned before though, if you get the volume sellers right and highly profitable, then you have the cash to build the stuff the car guys want. The cherry on top.

And I think Henry Ford had a bit more performance in his veins than what people give him credit for, he got the start up cash to start Ford Motor Co by winning a race in his own designed and built racer. He saw that making racing cars and going racing would show potential investors his engineering skills. Something the company continued to do for the next century.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #30
G6E Turbo 2

Quote:
That could very well happen in the future, but first they had to consolidate what they had. They've re-baselined the corporation. They've pared down facilities, chassis, and divisions to a minimum. Once they start earning money they can expand again.

And maybe they'll invest in a new RWD sedan chassis.

It all depends on what China wants.

351 posts WOW very Australian
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post