Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
GTP-03

Default iracing

Does anyone play this game, I just paid 12 dollars for 3 months worth, which is great, but ive spent hours just downloading-first of all the game, the cars and the tracks. I have to buy a controller aswell which is pc compatable, does any one where the best place is to buy a decent one? Any feedback would be great, cheers guys

Old 25-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
just_pazz
Ford Convert

Default Re: iracing

I don't know too much about it other than it is a very serious racing sim and you will probably need more than a controller most likely a wheel/pedal setup and alot of time and patience as it is not so much a game, but a extremely realistic driving sim.

First thing you'll notice is the graphics are very sucky by todays standards, since it is all about the realistic physics those who play it don't seem too care.
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
CFOUR
The Destroyer

logitech g27 is the wheel to have.
Old 25-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

iracing is probably the most serious racing sim, with many competitions etc.
So if you are keen on paying for it monthly, then you should be keen to get a racing wheel setup, which is good because they are pretty cheap now.

I recommend you get a Logitech G27, around $265-280 at pretty much all computer stores now. That link is from a store in Vic but check this site if you're not in Victoria and wish to find the best price for one in your own state.

I've owned one for the last 2 years and it's been an incredible wheel, definitely recommend it.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

There was a special on G27's, a few mates picked one up for a little over $200 a week or so ago - unsure if that deal is still going. A wheel is absolutely essential for iRacing.

I currently have a year sub but haven't played it in awhile as I've been tied up with other things.

You'll start with a Rookie licence for both road and oval and you'll have to turn incident free laps in either a sanctioned race or a time trial to accumulate a safety rating. Incidents are leaving the track, losing control, hitting a wall, hitting a competitor (regardless of who's at fault). This is how you get licences to progress to more challenging series.

The MX5's are a great little car and probably the best of the lot to learn in. There's also youtube videos on iRacing's site that'll give you some invaluable tips. You can purchase other cars and tracks that you don't have licence on for driving in practice and private races but you won't be able to race with them until you achieve the minimum licence requirements.

It's a great service and the netcode is fantastic. If you can get a C Road licence, you can race in the V8 FG Supercar series which is quite popular here (for obvious reasons)
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
GTP-03

So a hand held controller is no good then? Its still downloading the content, but ive chosen to upgrade all the tracks and most of the cars, which was prob unecessary, im still at a loss on how to start the racing, is it just a case of clicking on road/oval and test?
Old 25-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Looking at getting a new computer later this year to play this game, how many races or tests to upgrade your licence?

does it cost money to buy cars or do you earn them?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
satria
FOXWHO

be careful, it's been a year or so since i played iracing but back then if you subscribed it would then automatically deduct your next subscription when you current one runs out. You had to go into your account settings and untick the automatically subscribe option.

Not sure if it's changed but back then it caught alot of people out.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
peter.read
Starter Motor

Hey mate.

I have played iRacing since before it was released to the public, back in July 2008. It's a terrific simulator, the best out there available to the public I reckon.

People talk about the prices and subscription and everything, yes it is much more expensive compared to other simulators but let me tell you, I had the same feeling about the price. It is worth every single dollar in my opinion.

First few weeks are very ordinary because you are racing with "Rookies" who do not have much experience and generally the races are full of crashes. But once you get to around a D/C class license which isn't hard to obtain, racing becomes much cleaner and races are very fun.

I definitely recommend investing the money in it. It's fantastic.
peter.read is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
peter.read
Starter Motor

Also good controllers for it would be a Logitech G25/G27. I use a G25 with some custom made pedals.

It would be best to avoid controllers as it gives the simulator a very arcade feel. The force feedback on the G25 is fantastic if you optimize the settings correctly. There are helpful threads on the iRacing forums which give you guides and everything about setting the force feedback up correctly.

Hope that helps.
peter.read is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

If you don't want to spend the extra cash on the wheel, you can buy an Xbox 360 controller with a usb cable attached for around $40.

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
No.6

U have two threads on this...my response is in the other one...
Further to that id like to add that a g25 or g27 might be a bit expensive if youre not looking to go hardcore racing but rather just casual which is entirely possible in iracing despite it being a hardcore racing sim.

You could look at the thrustmaster wheels which are a wheel/peddle combo with paddle shifters rather than a 6 speed gearshift. Note that it will only have a brake and accelerator and no clutch peddle. I bought one for less than $100 from EB games and eased myself into racing games with it before i opted to go all out with a G27 wheel, which is fantastic btw.

I would strongly advise against a controller.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

If you plan to do any oval racing at all, a wheel is absolutely essential - if you don't like oval racing, don't write it off.. some of my best racing done on iRacing was on the ovals.

For road, a controller may get you buy on the MX5 but it is a severe handicap.

Personally, you should probably run a few test sessions until you can turn a few laps without incident. What I was doing was going into practice sessions with other cars and getting to learn how to race in traffic. iRacing is unlike any other racing sim/game. Can't argy bargy your way through the pack, you need to remain clean as possible.

On Oky when I started out, I used to aim for consistant 1.05's. On Lime Rock, I used to aim for 1.03's. Best on Oky is a low 1.02 and Limerock is a high 58 - the aliens can shave at least another second off those.

These are two pretty tidy laps so you can observe braking points and apex for Oky and LRP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l52hX1kG9i4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0BMQH1Atk
Old 26-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
GTP-03

My download on the update crashed after about 6 hours, im giong to have to try again, going to buy a g27 wheel tonight, cany wait to get started
Old 26-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

What's your internet connection like? That could pose a problem.

I have most of the tracks and 3/4 of the cars and that typically takes me an hour to download the lot..?
Old 26-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone here played the computer game 'Driving Speed 2'
Looks ok, I wouldn't mind downloading it.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
damir05
turbomaniac

I haven’t played this game yet, but i have watched lot of videos on YouTube from these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/user/simracingtonight/videos

Anyone that’s is interested in sim racing please check these guys out..
damir05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
GTP-03

just raced in the mx5 leauge last night in practise, was 3rd to last,10 seconds off the place, with joystick and not so good connection, will have to upgrade my internet connection i think, not as good as i thought it was going to be, but lots of fun
Old 27-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I been on iRacing for years now, and I think you're going to need a wheel.

I have spent over $700 on the game, but IMO is well worth it, takes time and it's not excactly a "game" to say.

The detail is amazing, but the graphics is sub standard but still good, not ****.
buddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #20
No.6

I just reactivated my subscription and the difference going from a thrustmaster wheel to a g27 is huge! I have better car control due to being able to feel what the tyres are doing despite the added difficulty of using a gearshift. I placed 13th out of 18 or 19 in a practice session in the mx5 where before i would usually be last.

Driving the fg supercar around phillip island is also a lot easier. Previously at turn 2 (or any turn really) smoke would come out of my tyres while turning due to poor car control/braking but now there is no smoke and i can actually feel when the car is about to slip! G27 is a must have for any racer. Keep at it GTP-03, i was disappointed with the game at first to due to the degree of difficulty but it does grow on you. Racing against others in practice is such a nerve racking thing i cant imagine being able to participate in a race...i mostly do test sessions simply because i like the experience and realism iracing provides.
Old 28-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
GTP-03

Hey guys, I had my first race last night in the mx5, i have probs with internet streaming so the screen stays still for seconds on end which is frustrating, but apparantly i can change the settings so it will work better. I didnt finish any of the races, because i would either loose control or someone would hit me and damage the car to much. I feel like im on the limit at every corner but cars are still overtaking me at a rapid rate, i have a logitech controller which feels a bit arcadish, i will buy a steering wheel, prob a g27 later, i really want to get up to the v8 supercars series but im no where near it at this stage
Old 28-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
No.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-03
I feel like im on the limit at every corner but cars are still overtaking me at a rapid rate,
thats due to the car setup part of the game. the technical side which deals with tyre camber, tyre pressures, suspension set up..all the mumbo jumo that increases grip, turn in and takes seconds off lap times. A good setup will make you 10 seconds faster than the standard set up from what i have seen in practice sessions. You can definitely find guides on the net for this sort of stuff...I'm not yet ready to delve into the technical side...I just like driving with the G27!
Old 28-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6
thats due to the car setup part of the game. the technical side which deals with tyre camber, tyre pressures, suspension set up..all the mumbo jumo that increases grip, turn in and takes seconds off lap times. A good setup will make you 10 seconds faster than the standard set up from what i have seen in practice sessions. You can definitely find guides on the net for this sort of stuff...I'm not yet ready to delve into the technical side...I just like driving with the G27!
The Rookie series are all fixed setup series, though.

One thing with iRacing is you just can't expect to jump in and be competitive right off the bat. While the MX5 is an easy car to drive/learn, it takes a while to master and takes even longer to squeeze every bit out of it. If you don't know where the apex is on every corner, you're going to be overtaken consistently.

A better wheel will make a difference to some extent but choosing the right lines, hitting your apexes and being smooth is where you'll start lowering your lap times. On both LRP and Oky, you can pick up a second alone by carrying good speed and hitting your apex before the straight.. and on LRP, taking a shallow and slower apex into turn 2 can allow you to push full throttle into turn 3 and pick up another second.
Old 28-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #24
Benjamin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
The Rookie series are all fixed setup series, though.

One thing with iRacing is you just can't expect to jump in and be competitive right off the bat. While the MX5 is an easy car to drive/learn, it takes a while to master and takes even longer to squeeze every bit out of it. If you don't know where the apex is on every corner, you're going to be overtaken consistently.

A better wheel will make a difference to some extent but choosing the right lines, hitting your apexes and being smooth is where you'll start lowering your lap times. On both LRP and Oky, you can pick up a second alone by carrying good speed and hitting your apex before the straight.. and on LRP, taking a shallow and slower apex into turn 2 can allow you to push full throttle into turn 3 and pick up another second.
Plus on LRP you have to be alert everytime coming over the crest after turn 5 or 6!
Cant think how many times ive come sideways up the hill only to put it in the wall as you go over
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post