Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Qantas Founders Museum

Just remembered another thing that happened when we were in Longreach.
Me and Dad had just got our hotel room and were driving around when got pulled over at RBT setup.
Female cop asks general "So what are you up to, local or tourist?"
We say we just got to Longreach and just looking around at what to do.
She asks "So where you guys from?"
Dad "Mackay"
Cop "Sorry"
Dad a bit louder "We are from Mackay"
Cop "I heard you first time, just saying sorry"
We all laughed. Havnt met a cop with a sense of humor before.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The story of that jumbo landing was epic...stripping it out to make it lighter, only putting enough fuel in to give it two goes at landing and maybe on to Townsville to land again, and shutting down the outside two engines for landing so they "didn't suck up dirt and rocks and bushes and lizards" as it landed on the narrow short strip.
It was also a "one way trip" as it couldn't take off again once it was down.

The crew was made up of all volunteers, and when they asked for people to put their hand up for the dangerous trip, every single pilot put their hand up as they wanted to be part of this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #33
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2011G6E... just noticed 'on the footplate'. Are you an engine driver?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANUP
2011G6E... just noticed 'on the footplate'. Are you an engine driver?
Yep...I drive the 1.7km long coal trains out here. Great job, tons of fun.

Here's another photo I found...you take your fun where you get it when you live in the middle of nowhere I suppose...
This creek (...erm...dry dirt depression really...) is between Barcaldine and Longreach.

2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #35
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been saying for a few years now i was going to do this, i best get off my ***
I have prommised my sister in Townsville to visit her this year, so i will do both at once
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #36
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: Qantas Founders Museum

I'd like to endorse all that's positive about Longreach. It's fantastic the way the 747 tail comes into view, miles out of town.
Can't recommend Ilfracombe enough. We stayed at the local caravan park, a fantastic family run affair with the owners doing bush poetry or a show most nights. As well as the machinery mentioned the caravan park has the keys to the hot bore fed local pool which is a great way to wind down the day.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #37
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better get in quick! The 747 is sinking!!

http://www.travelmonitor.com.au/news...um-hiccup.html

Quote:
The Qantas Founders Museum in Longreach, Queensland has had to suspend one of its tours because the museum’s showpiece Qantas 747 is sinking. Constant rain in recent months has led to a subsidence and the nose wheel of the jumbo jet has dropped about 20 centimetres.
Museum spokesman Rodney Seccombe told the ABC that action has been taken to stabilise the plane, but it could be some weeks before it is certified for insurance.
"I’m not so worried about someone being squashed underneath, as somebody falling inside if the plane moves," he said.
"We are very conscious of our safety for visitors and so on, so we have had to stop the tours because we can’t get that frame that is underneath there certified at the moment."
Mr Seccombe says it could take up to two months to finalise the issue.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post