Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
bad_boy_benny

Smile 1976 LTD, can i fix it?

hi , i own a 1976 ford LTD 5.8L v8. it has been sitting outside for about 5 years for various reasons. I don't know a whole lot about these cars and i'm wondering if i can realistically fix it up and get it happenning or if ishould just sell it for whatever little ammount its worth, or sell it in pieces......so anyway the car isn't in great condition with rust in several places on the body and bits and pieces in the engine (i'll put up some pics of the engine soon). but it does go lol. its hard to describe everything thats wrong with it here now but i'll get some pics up. i'm wondering if its a waste of time and money, how easy it is to find parts for these cars, what might be wrecked after a 5 year down time etc.......any suggestions? http://www.fordforums.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile

bad_boy_benny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ah pics might help...it depends ow bad the rust is and how much cash you want to put into it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
ah pics might help...it depends ow bad the rust is and how much cash you want to put into it.
Time also would play a factor wouldn't it? It seems like a huge job restoring a car.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

if the rust is too bad, it might be a better option to get a cleaner shell (yes i realise they arent easy to find....) and put all the good bits from your car into it.

you just have to ask yourself weather it would be cheaper and easier to fix your shell or get another shell and repair that...

we need pics though.....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 01:36 AM   #5
HOON69
Banned

76 nice model
if your gunna sell it sell it as parts you'll get more for it
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Depends where the rust is, and how much. Best to check that with a couple of panel beaters (ones who don't just replace body panels for insurance). Re all the mechanicals, I would be checking them all (open up), to see what had happened over that time. Definitely rebuild brakes, of course change all oils and coolant at a minimum.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

As everyone has said the mechanicals in the LTD are all nice and standard and easy to fix with plenty of parts available its the body that would be troble if its too rusty.

With a sound body it would be a nice build up.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 08:18 PM   #8
bad_boy_benny

ok, thanks for the advice. i think i'll head to a panel beater and figure out what my options are regarding the rust. if thats not too bad then i'll restore it. i'm aware that with my limited budget time will be a factor.
i wasn't sure if parts would be easy to get for a car this old. where do you find parts for 76 LTD's, from a wrecker or from somewhere else?
Old 21-11-2005, 04:17 AM   #9
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

I have an old 77 fairlane parts car dude , if you need anything , just ask and ill see what its like on the one I have . If the part is good , as long as you pay the freight , you can have it !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Yeah fix it. These things look great when finished. They already have all the good bits, so you will not need to upgrade just restore.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 08:15 PM   #11
bad_boy_benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Mopar Man
I have an old 77 fairlane parts car dude , if you need anything , just ask and ill see what its like on the one I have . If the part is good , as long as you pay the freight , you can have it !
Thanks for that mate, i think you'll be hearing from me soon..................thats counting on the fact that everything goes well at the panel beaters and they don't tell me the shell is useless!!!
i will have some pics of the car soon.