Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #31
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
I honestly don't see why moving while the lights are still going is unsafe. I have never ever seen a train come through STRAIGHT after one had just gone through. The arms are up, the train has well gone, whats the prob? I'm not trying to make any exscuses, but i fail to see where the danger is.
Then you haven't been on many major metro rail crossings. Railway crossing lights are automatic, set of by the train crossing a certain point on the tracks. Now assume one train has gone and you start to move under the barriers, then another one comes from the other way BEFORE the barriers have reached the top, and also hidden by the first train... Bingo!

The part I used to like is the "Give way to trains" signs. Like, your gunna argue right of way with something trying to stop on steel with steel wheels?
Old 14-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #32
NZ
~~~

Yeah I get your point now. I didn't think of multiple track crossings.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #33
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Someone needs to tear up the entire length of Springvale Road and start again. The railway crossing at Springvale station is a shocker. Infact the whole road is a shocker from Westall Road Extension all the way to Wellington Road. Thank christ they fixed Westall Road up.

And more to the point, thank christ I don't have to live here much longer.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 08:59 PM   #34
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
Yeah I get your point now. I didn't think of multiple track crossings.
No worries, think of it as the one train you DONT want to catch
Old 14-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #35
niko
likes falcon's

some train crossings are scary and bloody dangerous come peak traffic..... some should have traffic lights.

theres a not to bad underpass down my way solves train problem, but its only one :(
Old 14-11-2005, 10:10 PM   #36
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
I honestly don't see why moving while the lights are still going is unsafe. I have never ever seen a train come through STRAIGHT after one had just gone through. The arms are up, the train has well gone, whats the prob? I'm not trying to make any exscuses, but i fail to see where the danger is.
There is a safety hazard until the boom gates are secured and the rail staff responsible are satisfied there is no danger. I fail to see what the problem is in waiting a few seconds for them to do just that.

Daniel
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 08:38 AM   #37
LTDHO
The one and only

However the point is that injury or death as a result from stopping on train lines is minimal. It's surprising that the road toll is at 311 in Victoria (304 this time last year) so the toll is higher which shows speed cameras are not saving lives. TAC in Vic has no stat's confirming Speed Kills!!

65+ year old drivers die the most. So why not introduce re-testing?
17 to 24 year old in next. Advance learning for last year of P's?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #38
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I heard Doyle say they will change tolerance back to 10% instead of the Boy Bracks 3% in relation to speeding offences. But as for the cash cameras, once they are there, they will stay forever.
Sorry, just slight correction, it is not 3%, it is 3 km/h
Old 15-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #39
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Then you haven't been on many major metro rail crossings. Railway crossing lights are automatic, set of by the train crossing a certain point on the tracks. Now assume one train has gone and you start to move under the barriers, then another one comes from the other way BEFORE the barriers have reached the top, and also hidden by the first train... Bingo!

The part I used to like is the "Give way to trains" signs. Like, your gunna argue right of way with something trying to stop on steel with steel wheels?
I used to train some emergency services drivers and I had some news footage of a police car that had crossed a railway crossing when th elights where flashing and the gates where still down, they gave way to one train but didn't see the express train coming the other way, and hence it made the nightly news.

BTW, how many people have ever seen the sign under the crosses at a rail crossing?

Old 15-11-2005, 10:21 AM   #40
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey 4VMan dont blame unemployed for your government,in actual fact its the people with money and jobs who get them elected,the dole bludgers are too busy having another pipe to bother voting.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #41
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
Sorry, just slight correction, it is not 3%, it is 3 km/h
Slight correction again, its 2km/h tolerance.

The on grade crossing at the springvale intersection is terrible. The entire strip has major traffic conflict issues. it has 1 major intersection, 2 padestrian crossing areas, the rail line and 6 side streets.

However, Blackburn Rd and Middleborough Rd have pretty shocking conflicts to.

The camera put in place has been on trial, i have never seen it flash and ive never copped a fine, and i regularly cross the tracks as the booms are raising or falling.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #42
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

It doesn't work that way each track has trip and release sensors at appropriate distances either side of the gate. Those familiar with this Springvale Rd crossing will know that if a train is held pratiing around at the nearby station, the gates can remain down for rediculously long periods of time. The sensors are space far enough away to ensure they would be fully close before a train travelling in excess of 100Kph arrived at the crossing.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 02:27 PM   #43
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Speed cameras save lives:-)

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/06/602.asp
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 02:14 PM   #44
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
It doesn't work that way each track has trip and release sensors at appropriate distances either side of the gate. Those familiar with this Springvale Rd crossing will know that if a train is held pratiing around at the nearby station, the gates can remain down for rediculously long periods of time. The sensors are space far enough away to ensure they would be fully close before a train travelling in excess of 100Kph arrived at the crossing.
It doesn't work what way?
And the railway crossings that aren't near or alongside stations...?
Old 16-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #45
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
CRAP! Proper driver education saves lives!
Old 16-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #46
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
And the tooth fairy exists :
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 01:47 AM   #47
Steve
torque is your friend

Whilst I applaud any genuine efforts to save lives, the Bracks government has a habit of finding ways to extract money from motorists and then just before their scheme is launched, they run awareness campaigns on the subject. Just the speed cameras in the past being preceded by the whole "speed kills" campaign, it looks like the Bracks Tax machine is about to install cameras on every railway crossing.