Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default From a Guys Point of view, what would you do ?

http://www.news.com.au/national/ex-h...-1226207566985
Quote:
DNA proves man is not child's father, mother must pay back nearly $13k

November 28, 2011 12:00AM

DNA test proves man is not boy's father
Mother must now pay back nearly $13k
Magistrate sees "collateral damage" to child
Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/ex-h...#ixzz1ezluIktG

If he wasn't mine after 13 years, he'd sure feel like mine.....

Last edited by Auslandau; 28-11-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Added info
buggerlugs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Default Re: From a Guys Point of view, what would you do ?

Sperm doth not a father make. How many stepdads make better fathers than the previous sperm donor?
Old 28-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally justice has been served! Poor boy is the loser in all this though.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I would be the same. For years you raised this child thinking he was yours, the shock of it would see me stop contact, but only while I got my head around the situation, after that I would sit the boy down, explain the situation.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Obviously, can't comment from a blokes perspective. BUT!
My ex was almost going through something similar, with his kid. Even though he had only ever had weekend access, he was firm in the belief that if the kid weren't his, he'd still be there for him.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
I would be the same. For years you raised this child thinking he was yours, the shock of it would see me stop contact, but only while I got my head around the situation, after that I would sit the boy down, explain the situation.
I think I'd be the same. There would be initial shock and anger probably that would alienate myself from the whole thing, but the father in me says that I couldn't just walk away from the kid for life. I think in the long run, the Dad would be poorer for it as much as the kid will be.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could never just walk away, the child believes you are his father, you have raised him as a son, blood is not the be all and end all of a happy father son relationship. We do not knoe the background story of course, but it seems a bad turnout for the child/young adult.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
DANNO178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I could never just walk away, the child believes you are his father, you have raised him as a son, blood is not the be all and end all of a happy father son relationship. We do not knoe the background story of course, but it seems a bad turnout for the child/young adult.
Very good point , just imagine that they both never found out , they would have lived a happy father son relationship just the same as someone who were
related by blood .
DANNO178 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I work with a guy who knew his partners child wasn't his and he has been there through thick and thin even though he is no longer with his mum.

There are some good guys out there. This, to me, appeared to be a case of he asked, was constantly told the child was his and he needed to be sure he was.

The outcome in this case - the boy has now lost the only person he knew as his Dad. Sure he might not be biologically his, but how can you just walk away from 13yrs of being someone's Dad? You have to feel for the kid.
Old 28-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
The outcome in this case - the boy has now lost the only person he knew as his Dad. Sure he might not be biologically his, but how can you just walk away from 13yrs of being someone's Dad? You have to feel for the kid.
That is just tragic.
Old 28-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My feeling is that the "father" has every right to accept the $13k in return for the child support he erroneously paid. She should now claim against the biological father, who is the one with the obligation to pay child support. The difficulty with that is, even if he is able to be found, CSA can only go back 3 months to claim arrears, so she'd only get it going forward.

I have no sympathy for the mother...she played around behind her husbands back, got pregnant and made her ex husband pay the price.

As to the fathers relationship with the child, I couldn't just stop loving my son if i found out he wasn't mine and can't see any rationale for him now disowning him. It wasn't the kids fault
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

I think it would be a major shock for all involved, I think/hope the father may come around. It is certainly not the 13 yo boys fault.......

Last edited by geckoGT; 28-11-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
buggerlugs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would seem to me that the man in question probably did not have as close a relationship as you'd think and has been released from his obligation. If it wouldn't matter why would you take the test?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel for the boy loosing the man he saw as his father but if the mother knew the blame is all hers. taking 13K like that is fraud and if there is proof she knew she should be charged with fraud. there are too many men supporting children that aren't theirs and if they don't make an example of the guilty party there is no incentive not to rip off men

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
BHDOGS
Banned

Hell yes i say make her pay back the money with interest take her house and possessions to leave her laying in the gutter like the gutter cheating mole she is and take the kid to live with u or maybe i have an extreme view haha
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #16
Chopped
as in chopped

BAD BAD BAD mother.
It's pretty messed up that the lady would do that to others.

I feel sorry both both the child and the man.
(not sure how the man can just leave a child he thought was his for 13 years either)

Poor kid.
Old 28-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
boss54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Hell yes i say make her pay back the money with interest take her house and possessions to leave her laying in the gutter like the gutter cheating mole she is and take the kid to live with u or maybe i have an extreme view haha

I agree with this.
boss54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
Springfield_Johny

Anyone can be a father, but not everyone can be a good dad. While this guy is not the boys father, he is still his dad

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield_Johny
Anyone can be a father, but not everyone can be a good dad. While this guy is not the boys father, he is still his dad
That is so, so true..........
Old 28-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why didn't he take a DNA test years ago if he knew his wife was a cheating slag.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
HLC
Audi S3

The story says that the mother brought up the issue that the 'father' looked nothing like the son.

She ruined this, she deserves to pay the money back and i can completely understand why the 'father' has wiped his hands and left.

He hasn't just been betrayed once, but twice. Once when she cheated, and again when she basically admitted the child wasn't his.

Good on the father for standing up to her and taking the test and claiming the cash back.

It would be very difficult to walk away and the child is the loser, but I can't help but think that I would do the same?
Old 28-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #22
buggo
[BU66OS]

Didnt the dads mother mention It when the kid was four? Not the kids mum?

Pretty sucky deal for the kid but, hopefully, if the 'dads' a good bloke, he'll stay in the kids life and chances are some of the $13k will go towards him anyway.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #23
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Exactly, the guilt trip shouldn't be put on the faux-father but on the mother, who lied and recieved money for a child that wasn't his.

If we forget about the implications for the kid: how would you like being ordered by law to pay for things that you had no legal responsibility for?

There is a difference between involuntary help (mandated by law), and voluntary help (the good of one's heart). He can choose to support the child if he wishes.
Old 29-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #24
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
It would be very difficult to walk away and the child is the loser, but I can't help but think that I would do the same?
After raising a child for so long, yes, there'd be initial shock and possibly a bit of a walking-out, but I actually expect him to return in time once things settle down.

I hope we don't hear about it, because frankly, it's their business and not ours...

I wish all parties the best of luck and I hope that both the Dad and son are able to enjoy each other's company...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #25
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
Didnt the dads mother mention It when the kid was four? Not the kids mum?

I may have misread
Old 29-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty sad for the kid and the .....ex father, as for the woman, if i was the ex dad, i would`nt be forgiving her anytime soon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #27
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
The story says that the mother brought up the issue that the 'father' looked nothing like the son.

She ruined this, she deserves to pay the money back and i can completely understand why the 'father' has wiped his hands and left.

He hasn't just been betrayed once, but twice. Once when she cheated, and again when she basically admitted the child wasn't his.

Good on the father for standing up to her and taking the test and claiming the cash back.

agree - it is the mother's fault, not the father's and yet the father somehow gets the blame. if she was honest and not fraudulent, then the kid would not suddenly be losing a father
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #28
zdcol71
zdcol71

I hope Steve Wilko's sitting in the bleachers.