Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question 7X4 Box Trailer - Jacking Point

Hi all,

I have had my trailer for a year or two now and never needed to touch the spare (touch wood) but i thought i would ask to be prepared. Its a 7x4 box trailer with cage, two tonne leaf springs and a single axle.

The question is if i were to get a flat tyre, where would i position the jack (bottle type jack)?

Thanks in advance.

zlcrazy

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
GT-E

Default Re: 7X4 Box Trailer - Jacking Point

The bean axle, under the leaf spring hangers.
Just make sure your bottle jack can get under there with a flat and that you have the correct wheel brace to remove the wheel nuts. Many times I have seen people only have the correct wheel brace for the car, not the trailer.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
The bean axle, under the leaf spring hangers.
Just make sure your bottle jack can get under there with a flat and that you have the correct wheel brace to remove the wheel nuts. Many times I have seen people only have the correct wheel brace for the car, not the trailer.

Hey GT-E

Just bought a new bottle jack and wheel brace to suit yesterday so that's all sorted.

So you mean where the springs sit on a plate held by two "U" bolts position the jack under this plate???

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Rambunctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlcrazy
Hey GT-E

So you mean where the springs sit on a plate held by two "U" bolts position the jack under this plate???
Yes, under the U bolt plate would be the safest place provided the bottle jack will go under there when the tyre is flat, which is doubtful.

The next place is under the frame just behind the rear spring hanger, the problem there is you will probably need good timber chocks to get the bottle jack high enough, and then the jack may not have enough extension to raise the frame high enough to get the tyre clear of the ground, and it would then be probably too high to be safe.

From my experience, the best jack for a trailer is the small trolly jack (about $29) as it is usually the only type you can get under the U bolt plate or the axle when the tyre is flat.

Last edited by Rambunctious; 07-11-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post