The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #31
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2012 Porsche Boxster Undisguised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I don't think many Ford Forumers can cast doubt and point the finger on people with top end luxury/sports marques cars regardless of what they are when like 90% of the forums drives second hand E/AU/B series Falcons.
What has that got to do with it... do you judge someones wealth by what car they drive?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
What has that got to do with it... do you judge someones wealth by what car they drive?
No but judging a car enthusiasts wealth by the car they drive is a pretty good indicator and except for a small number of notable exceptions most AFF members are car enthusiasts.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #33
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Poor mans Porsche, girls car, pfft. My boxster S was $140,000. Not sure how poor that makes me. When was the last time you drove a boxster S and a 911 back to back? I did and prefered the performance of the mid engined roadster to the rear engined cabriolet, so I bought it and haven't regretted it for a second. If you're in the market for a two seat roadster like I was the Boxster S is the best. The boxster is no pretender in the performance stakes, don't beleive me then drive one.
I'm with BPXR6T - I bought the Boxster after driving both the 911 and Cayman. I prefer the engine in the middle, and the soft top. I also have an AU.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #34
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
No but judging a car enthusiasts wealth by the car they drive is a pretty good indicator and except for a small number of notable exceptions most AFF members are car enthusiasts.
A lot of real enthusiasts will prefer a 993 over a 997
Same deal with a T3 and FG GT
R32 GTR and the latest thing
1960s/70s/80s S Class Mercedes and the latest plastic.
etc

In this day an age of instant finance (at jacked up interest rates) your theory gets thrown out the window. I bet ya the majority of forum members don't own their late model cars outright, but at least they are entitled to an opinion of the latest Porsche
Old 10-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #35
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
bet ya the majority of forum members don't own their late model cars outright, but at least they are entitled to an opinion of the latest Porsche
Paid cash for mine if you need to know.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A lot of real enthusiasts will prefer a 993 over a 997
Same deal with a T3 and FG GT
R32 GTR and the latest thing
1960s/70s/80s S Class Mercedes and the latest plastic.
etc

In this day an age of instant finance (at jacked up interest rates) your theory gets thrown out the window. I bet ya the majority of forum members don't own their late model cars outright, but at least they are entitled to an opinion of the latest Porsche
Well they must be wealthy enough to afford the payments.

In some cases members are judged by what they write on the forum rather than what car they drive.
Old 15-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #37
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

This is of interest to me.
Assuming;

Work Income is swapping time for money.

Passive income is money that comes to you while you sleep or without your ongoing input.
and;
Wealth is measured in time: Ie, how long using passive income you can stay alive at a given lifestyle without swapping time for money. If the answer is forever, then you are wealthy at some level. This is why some wealthy people will drive a 10 y.o base model falcon (but still be wealthy because the outgoings are still exceeded by passive income) that is; they no longer need to swap their time for money, time is their own, and they can meet commitments plus have whatever luxuries they require for their given lifestyle.

So then it follows your outgoings are just as important in assessing wealth as your incomings. Some people with flash cars are far from wealthy because they are a month away from bankruptcy if they stop swapping time for money.

True wealth IMHO means you can drive the car of your choice and not have to swap time for money and your income happens no matter what you do with your time.

Lots of people work hard swapping their time for money to get an OK income ~$120k or so and have the disposable $ to get a nice car on finance or lease, GOOD ON THEM! They work hard and deserve their fruits, if thats what they want.

Some people will drive a cheaper car so they have more disposable $$$ to put into passive income creation (stocks, property, internet business etc...), so it may be that someone earns great $ for their time, but drives a 10Y.O falcon to free up disposable $.

So it follows that you cant tell much at all about someone by the car that they drive, perhaps other than if they like to clean their car and keep it in good order.

This is how I see it anyway.

On Topic, I would love a boxster as a weekend toy in summer. Given 99% of driving is done at the speed limit and not WOT it would be a great summer cruiser!

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

Last edited by TURBOTAXI; 15-10-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: On topic!
Old 15-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #38
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke
Paid cash for mine if you need to know.
Paid cash for my Porsche too. In fact every car I "own" I own.
Old 15-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #39
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
On Topic, I would love a boxster as a weekend toy in summer. Given 99% of driving is done at the speed limit and not WOT it would be a great summer cruiser!
By boxster s does 0-100 in 5.3s and 250kph comes around real quick. Not a slow car in any speak. FG GT 315 is around 5.4 isn't it?
Old 15-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #40
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lols how this turned in to an.. ' i payed cash for my porsche thread'......
i know better than that.. no tax benefits.. loans are good when it comes to explaining money...
Old 15-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #41
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes this has gone far enough off topic.
Closed Thread