Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #31
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Default Re: new Limited Edition XR6 Sedan & Ute

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that the ute's wheels really suit it; definitely an improvement on the standard XR6 wheels.

Does anyone know what the colour shown in the pictures is called? I quite like it.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Hmm sounds interesting and starting to tempt me.

Had a look at the Thunder ute on Saturday. In all seriousness its not all that special but you do get sat nav otherwise its cheap and nasty...inc the leather.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #33
venthan87
Starter Motor

wow this is pretty interesting.
venthan87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Does anyone know what price they will be?
And when will the release date?
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #35
Sundeep
Banned

The BA F6 wheels don't look bad, but lest we forget they are almost a 7 year old design now!! Fancy that, putting 7 year old wheels on a brand new model. That's like EF FTR 16's on a BA back in the day :/
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #36
vinhol
Starter Motor

Ordered mine yesterday Vanish Auto with tow pack through a novated leasing company less that $32k
vinhol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #37
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

+1,Thanks to barra240t, bought an xr6LE auto Sunburst ute from Pacific Ford at Maroochydore 2 weeks ago.

I would recommend anyone in QLD. looking for a good deal on a new ford, see barra240t (forum site sponsor) .
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #38
FordFan1

I just ordered a Vanish sedan on Saturday too. Was thinking of fitting FPV Coyote rims to dress it up a bit, if I can find a set.
FordFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #39
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really like the new look, although those stock rims are abit garish for my taste, the body looks great though!
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #40
DEVO'S MB XR5T

Saw one yesterday in the flesh... it was black, manual & a ute.
From the back the really small limited edition sticker was the only difference. The wheels didn't suite it. The ride height at the back made them look really small in the arches.. if it was lowered I believe those wheels would look right..
DEVO'S MB XR5T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #41
RAPID_BA
Banned

In my opinion ford have done their bit and we as fans have not, how many of us said if ford ever release a falcon v8 with a blower I'd be first in line to buy it, they release one and under $60k with a blower and were you first in line like you said?

We can get a xr6 with near on 200kw and a great gearbox, wheels etc etc for $34990 less 2000 cashback, how many of us jumped at it? What a great car for the money. In 1995 you couldn't get a futura ef stock 4.0 for that price.

The value offering has increased not only from ford but all manufacturers, we have always said we would jump at a ford if they just did x, they do it and we go missing in action? We don't put our money where our mouths are.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #42
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
In my opinion ford have done their bit and we as fans have not, how many of us said if ford ever release a falcon v8 with a blower I'd be first in line to buy it, they release one and under $60k with a blower and were you first in line like you said?

We can get a xr6 with near on 200kw and a great gearbox, wheels etc etc for $34990 less 2000 cashback, how many of us jumped at it? What a great car for the money. In 1995 you couldn't get a futura ef stock 4.0 for that price.

The value offering has increased not only from ford but all manufacturers, we have always said we would jump at a ford if they just did x, they do it and we go missing in action? We don't put our money where our mouths are.
Compare th price of a computer now to one in 1994 and its features. Compare the technology in a mobile phone and its price to one in 1994, its progress.

1994 EF Futura and 2011 FG Falcon Xt/XR6
ABS
Power Windows
Cruise Control
4 litre motor
Dual Airbags
Air Conditioning
4 wheel disk brakes

So in 16 years we have gained traction control, alloy wheels and the CD player/bluetooth..although Im sure there is more stuff.

Look at the progress we had from 1978 to 1994, the last 16 years have been relatively subdued.

Falcons are great great cars dont get me wrong, but back in 1994 a Falcon probably made more sense.

Its 2011, where are the proximity keys, self parking, xenons, LED lights, voice recognition, standard sat nav (most phones have this), touchscreen, music hardrive, standard curtain airbags??
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #43
HVAC PRO

pretty much decided I'm going to get one of these in the ute in either viper or silohette to sure whether to go auto or manual opinions everyone?
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #44
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv223
pretty much decided I'm going to get one of these in the ute in either viper or silohette to sure whether to go auto or manual opinions everyone?
I must say that I love the way it looks, even if only for the 18s.
If you want my opinion, then I'll provide you with it. I think you should go with the manual. Yes, the ZF is one of the smoothest shifting slushboxes around (much better than the DSGs, and they're pretty good themselves), but nothing can compare to that glorious six mated to a proper H-pattern manual. However, I won't scold you for going with the auto, as it is a good unit.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Drive them both, you'll know then.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #46
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Compare th price of a computer now to one in 1994 and its features. Compare the technology in a mobile phone and its price to one in 1994, its progress.

1994 EF Futura and 2011 FG Falcon Xt/XR6
ABS
Power Windows
Cruise Control
4 litre motor
Dual Airbags
Air Conditioning
4 wheel disk brakes

So in 16 years we have gained traction control, alloy wheels and the CD player/bluetooth..although Im sure there is more stuff.

Look at the progress we had from 1978 to 1994, the last 16 years have been relatively subdued.

Falcons are great great cars dont get me wrong, but back in 1994 a Falcon probably made more sense.

Its 2011, where are the proximity keys, self parking, xenons, LED lights, voice recognition, standard sat nav (most phones have this), touchscreen, music hardrive, standard curtain airbags??
Proximity keys: **** factor
Standard sat nav: **** factor
Touchscreen: **** factor (so bloody annoying to use!)
Music hard drive: Agreed
Standard curtain airbags: **** factor, Dowling. Head protecting side airbags are much more important, and the Falcon delivers great bodyshell strength anyway Contrary to common knowledge, the ANCAP ratings of a light car and a large car cannot be directly compared. This is a disgrace, and it deserves its own thread.

There is one important area where the Falcon has regressed since EF: STEREO QUALITY. Something like the Mondeo's would be satisfactory. On another thing, AM quality is largely dependent on reciever design, and as Brissy commercial FM is a wasteland (though better than our mexican friends), a decent sounding AM radio would be greatly appreciated.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #47
HVAC PRO

I did take the manual for a drive and loved it big improvement over the old 5spd in my current ride thats being traded for the nice new one, i just had a few people saying go the auto better on fuel you can drive it like a manual if you want blah blah
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #48
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
I did take the manual for a drive and loved it big improvement over the old 5spd in my current ride thats being traded for the nice new one, i just had a few people saying go the auto better on fuel you can drive it like a manual if you want blah blah
I think the fuel economy figures are the same (which is quite an achievement for a torque converter auto). A tiptronic shift (no matter how good) is no replacement for three pedals.
Old 25-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #49
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
I found it a bit more notchy from 1st to second then the B-series 6 speed man but still great to drive.

The auto will be nice as the ZF is a great box. But the whole you can drive it as a manual is a croc. It is nothing like driving a manual...especially if you love manuals. The ZF will not give you the manual enjoyment, but if your not that fussed then I would try both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
I think the fuel economy figures are the same (which is quite an achievement for a torque converter auto). A tiptronic shift (no matter how good) is no replacement for three pedals.
The ADR figures are in favour of the auto by 0.6L/100. Mind you the sedan I drive gets great mileage.
Old 25-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #50
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I found it a bit more notchy from 1st to second then the B-series 6 speed man but still great to drive.
The auto will be nice as the ZF is a great box. But the whole you can drive it as a manual is a croc. It is nothing like driving a manual...especially if you love manuals. The ZF will not give you the manual enjoyment, but if your not that fussed then I would try both.

The ADR figures are in favour of the auto by 0.6L/100. Mind you the sedan I drive gets great mileage.
The manual shift improves markedly from new as it wears in, and the driver gets used to the gearchange/throttle/speeds in gears. Taking a new demo around the block on a short test drive will not provide anywhere near a proper assessment of the car, for those reasons.

Yes, nothing like driving a proper manual, but must be a manual driver. Love mine to bits.

Regarding fuel economy, mine is at a nearly constant 9.50 lt/100km measured at the bowser, 9.1 lt/100km going by the computer. Av speed around 68 km/hr.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #51
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
The manual shift improves markedly from new as it wears in, and the driver gets used to the gearchange/throttle/speeds in gears. Taking a new demo around the block on a short test drive will not provide anywhere near a proper assessment of the car, for those reasons.
I do agree the first 10,000k's the box wears in and it gets looser. If your coming from a B-series getting the shifts right won't be a big problem. But driving a 5 speed from new, B-series 6 speed from new and an FG 6-speed from new and bedding in at least 20,000k's (in all) the FG is a bit more notchy from 1st to 2nd. Nothing to worry about and driven sedately you'll never notice.