Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #61
Danny
GT4.

Default Re: Show us ya Bra

Here Is my car bra on the Megane

Closer look?

Ventureshield stoneguard. Thick and strong, lasts the life of the car, UV neutral so it does not promote un even fading of paint, virtually invisible, can be polished like paint, around 450-1000 depending on the car and how much you get installed.

The whole front and I do mean the WHOLE front of my car is done including headlights and you would never know. I've also had the under door sills, the side moulds, behind and ahead of the wheel arches, the under door hadle area, the recess under the boot button, the door pillars, and mirrors. Great stuff and I swear by it!

To boot, there is no needing to worry about making sure the bonnet is spotless so the car bra doesn't scuff over dirt, there is no headlight lens scratching (that the plastic carbra headlight windows seem to do), and when removed/replaced, the paint is untouched beneath it. You can even scrape past a fence or bollard, and the Vshield will take the scrape up to a point before tearing. It is very strong.

To boot, those carbra's make the car look like a burns victim. A compromise IMHO.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #62
kinksta
Luxojet

What happens when a stone hits it? Does it mark/dent into the stoneguard?
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #63
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
What happens when a stone hits it? Does it mark/dent into the stoneguard?
As far as I understand Kinksta, the stuff is fair thick but also pliable, and doesn't take a mark easily. Ive done 8500 Kays now with it on, and have been doing plenty of highway stuff (I travel to uni in geelong 120 or so kay away from me once a week), and there is not a mark on it. I have heard unavoidable stones hit it before, and often check it out after I know Ive been hit, but I will be buggered if I can find a mark.

-Dan
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #64
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what I was asking about earlier.
Whered you get it done?
are they franchised?
Available where in SA?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #65
lorpy
Fpv gt mrk2

lorpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #66
kinksta
Luxojet

That looks good!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #67
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz
This is what I was asking about earlier.
Whered you get it done?
are they franchised?
Available where in SA?
Notsure mate I'd be certain that every capital city would have fitters. Or you could look it up, place I got mine done is called OziShield, Terence might know where to go in SA. Honestly I'd just google it mate, there'll be someone out your way for certain.

So so much better than a conventional car bra IMHO. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #68
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

update on Ventureshield

Its a 3M product is available through franchised dealers around Aust.
Guy in Adelaide has quoted for BF11 ute front grill, 1/3 bonnett & same both fenders $800 fitted with garranttee & waranty.

Not this week but high on the list next time in smoky town.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #69
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess you could say your bra boys
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #70
bisho

Here's a pic of my AU XR with it's bra on

Bisho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XR Gunning.jpg (8.1 KB, 73 views)
bisho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #71
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i swear by have a car bra on

ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #72
AU Mont
Banned

the whole idea is silly imo, i thought car bras went out with stone deflectors?

i assume the next step is an umbrella bolted to the roof to stop it getting wet. Buy a nice looking car, to make it look like *** because people are worried about some chips

id rather have the bumper resprayed once every 5 years then muck around with a car bra
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #73
kinksta
Luxojet

Some chips? Have never driven outside of a city before? Unless the roads you drive on are swept clean everyday. The roads I take, every time I get hit by a rock, not to mention all the road trips I do. I'm not going to cop stones for 5 years, and having my car looking like it's been sand blasted.

I got mine cheap, and it works well, cannot see why people don't like them, why because they look silly? Fair enough if they didn't work bag them, but because they look silly, oh please. lol
Old 05-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #74
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

travel on the wrong road it takes less than 1000 for it to turn from nice to rubbish so i found out
Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #75
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

What is the purpose of the little flaps that protrude up from the bonnet?

I will look into getting a bra for my Focus. We do a long freeway trip every weekend and don't want the front full of stone pits.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #76
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Seriously, why would you bother with an ugly car bra?

If you get some stone chips on your car, who cares? I do tens of thousands of KM's on country roads every year and rarely do I get a stone chip, and if I do, I get it touched-up by a panel shop.

Car bras are the most ugly thing to see on a car, and to be honest, I would much rather have a handful of stone chips on my car because they are less ugly than a Bra!
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #77
lorpy
Fpv gt mrk2

i care.. mite be ugly but stone chips on my beast id be spewing plus touch up look crap as

Last edited by lorpy; 06-08-2011 at 04:38 PM.
lorpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #78
matty88

Has anyone seen the 'Cardom'?

http://www.goopguys.com.au/product_details.php?id=9
matty88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #79
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a carbras australia one for my commodore in the ealry 90s ,was one of those melb days when we had a light shower in the morning while i was at work the ended up a high 30 degree day finished work and checked was all dry ,took it off the next day and there was big white patches(blue over silver sle)on the boonet etched into the paint.was the original paint(acrylic) had the car painted in 2pac no troubles after wards and made cleaning the car easy after a country trip.they are just a pain taking off and on as had to lay on grond to get botom straps on
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #80
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

I bought a used 'Car Bra' one (nearly brand new) many years ago in plain black and have put it on every GT I have owned and was great value for $250 cash. I don't use it often as I find it a pain to take on and off (breaks the finger nails!) but handy for occasions like:
*Locust plague time
*travelling to a car show or event where I want it easy to go over on arrival
*big Interstate trips

I will repaint the front and a few other touch up areas in the near future and will use a 3M product on it then to stop future chipping but would still use the bra for the above occasions.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #81
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
Some chips? Have never driven outside of a city before? Unless the roads you drive on are swept clean everyday. The roads I take, every time I get hit by a rock, not to mention all the road trips I do. I'm not going to cop stones for 5 years, and having my car looking like it's been sand blasted.

I got mine cheap, and it works well, cannot see why people don't like them, why because they look silly? Fair enough if they didn't work bag them, but because they look silly, oh please. lol
I do think they look silly, but I can also see the point of them. The problem is that we got to Bundaberg te other day after driving the 480-odd kilometers down here. Before I left, we washed and polished the car using good quality Maguires wax, and I took good note of any stone chips. I touched up a couple with the paint we got from Autobran, as any little chip shows up like buggery on "Edge".
Now in Bundy! And I notice there are at least five new chips up the right hand side of the car.
No car bra would have stopped them...and funnily enough there are no new ones on the front or bonnet after the trip.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #82
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I do think they look silly, but I can also see the point of them. The problem is that we got to Bundaberg te other day after driving the 480-odd kilometers down here. Before I left, we washed and polished the car using good quality Maguires wax, and I took good note of any stone chips. I touched up a couple with the paint we got from Autobran, as any little chip shows up like buggery on "Edge".
Now in Bundy! And I notice there are at least five new chips up the right hand side of the car.
No car bra would have stopped them...and funnily enough there are no new ones on the front or bonnet after the trip.
Lucky: That you didn't get any on the front...

Unlucky: That you got chips on the side of the car! Were you driving the whole way sideways hahahaaa
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #83
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
i think the majority of chips on the front come from on coming traffic an following trucks