Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
LXL15

Question Rear-view mirror annoyance...

In both of the cars that I've owned, being 6' 4", the rear-view mirror is too low for me. It restricts my view of the roadway to my left, or partly around a bend (depending on how far away the bend is, etc). I usually slouch in my seat to give me more visibility, but it's still blocking parts of my vision, and on long trips, constantly slouching hurts the back. I nearly got collected by a firetruck the other day, luckily I heard the sirens and broke. It was coming through an intersection perpendicular to me from my left, and was almost entirely blocked out by the mirror and a high brick fence on the corner.

Surely others have the same issue? Can you get modified holders/windscreens with it positioned higher up to move it out of the road view?

My seat is already as low as possible, plus the bottom at the back has broken a bit, making me sit even lower haha. Still not enough though...

LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Default Re: Rear-view mirror annoyance...

I'm 6'4" and have terrible trouble driving a Falcon (have driven EF/EL/BA series).

Rear view mirror doesn't adjust enough, seats don't go low enough or far back enough, steering wheel doesn't lift up high enough.

I understand some of these issues are better in the FG series.

In my Fiesta however I have a good 2-3 inches between my head and the roof, I have plenty of leg room, don't have to have the steering wheel at its highest point, and the mirror is only on a half tilt and I have full vision.

It's bizarre that a "light" car gives me far superior comfort levels and vision than a large family sedan.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remove it and reglue it in a higher position, you can get the glue kit from Repco.
fasty73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Also being just over 6'4'', I learnt long ago that Falcon Mirrors are double jointed and you can sit them right up on the roof if you adjust it right. Have a look at one and you will soon work it out. This makes visibility much better.

I agree with the headroom comments in general. I have not been comfortable in a Falcon since AU was launched and can't drive the FG safely at all, due to not being able to see out the drivers side window. People ask me all the time why I don't have an FG or even rent one when I need a car etc... Simply not enough room in them, due to stupid design. EL was the last Falcon for me...
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a lower seat adjuster would be a good thing for you stretchy buggers, i`m 6`1 and its fine, in the 70`s falc seats came sitting on spacers , you could unbolt the seats and adjust them if needed, have you guys tried the electric seats with up down?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

im 6'5 and i hate driving the BA because of this. So i drive the XY daily and i have no problem!
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I'm 6'3-6'4 and I don't have a problem in my EBII except for having to adjust the rear view mirror so its almost all the way up.
Am yet to drive a modern falcon but I'm definitely going to keep this in mind for when I'm thinking of upgrading.
Getting into my sister's 89 Camry is horrible though, can't check driver's side blind spot without dislocating my neck.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

What about a clip on attachment for your mirror? My father in law has a mirror with a larger area and a slight curve in the glass so you can see all round you (including blind spots?) without turning your head.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
delete94

I'm only about 185cm (whatever that is in the old money), but have to admit, after coming from the ED, where I never had a problem getting the perfect driving position, I am finding it a bit difficult to get a comfortable posi in the FG.

Definitely feels like the seat doesn't go down quite far enough, or the wheel doesn't go up quite high enough. The uppermost sides of the steering wheel also obscure the warning lights in the dash. Also, the door appertures seem a bit lower than the ED and have bumped the old noggen a couple of times getting in.

Still mucking around with the seat though and hopefully will be able to find the right posi.
delete94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Know exactly what your saying,ok if you try to remove the mirror from the screen theres a good chance you will crack your screen.
Best way I was told by a screen fitter is to rip out the old screen replace with new one and have mirror glued up higher.
Still you could be unlucky and have a truck flick a stone into your screen and break it.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
LXL15

Phew, it's good to know it's just glue, I don't have to have a special windscreen made. Maybe I'll go do something about it, if this double hinge thing doesn't work well enough...cheers guys.

On a semi-related topic, I always have my steering wheel pulled as close as possible to me, with it all the way up (for the knees, of course). This seems to give me more room. And I know what you mean about "smaller" cars with more space, my brother's 96 Accord has HEAPS of space around me, whereas I only just fit in the falcon.
LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone
Also being just over 6'4'', I learnt long ago that Falcon Mirrors are double jointed and you can sit them right up on the roof if you adjust it right. Have a look at one and you will soon work it out. This makes visibility much better.

I agree with the headroom comments in general. I have not been comfortable in a Falcon since AU was launched and can't drive the FG safely at all, due to not being able to see out the drivers side window. People ask me all the time why I don't have an FG or even rent one when I need a car etc... Simply not enough room in them, due to stupid design. EL was the last Falcon for me...
I also have the mirrors right up in both my cars, as I'm also 6"4'. For visibility and comfort, my EA is awesome. My AU still feels quite good but I find my head sits pretty close to the b-pillar. Overall, I've gotten used to it though, so it's not a real issue.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I am 6'5" and I had the mirror adjusted as high as it could in my last EL and I didnt really have any issues. In my EL right now I have no problems at all even with the mirror adjusted to more of a normal position but the seats I have put me just over 1.5 inches lower then the standard EL seats

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't have that problem, i'm at the other end of the scale. but it sounds like Ford needs a tall person seat option (or one that adjusts further).
Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

the little tab you pull forward on the bottom of the mirror is to put it in a 'anti glare' state for night driving i think, if you have lights glaring in it that annoy you.

i'm 6'2 and i have plenty of room in my fg. my brother is 6'4 and has driven my ba/bf2 and fg and not had an issue.

i also don't find the seating position to be that high and its definitely better than b series.

lucky me i guess.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post