Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

Talking bruce highway road report please?

hi all, just a quick request... i am going to be travelling on qld's bruce highway from bundy north to townsville early next week.

how are the roads since the big wet? any big delays or particularly bad areas to watch for?

will be the first big trip for the g6, really looking forward to it too.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: bruce highway road report please?

Erm...probably the best answer is to say "once you get onto the Bruce highway at Bundy, take care until you get to, oh, the outskirts of Townsville...it'll all be crap of one sort or another..."

Seriously though, watch it. They've been doing roadworks around Rocky down towards Mt Larcom, but there are still a lot of iffy bits of road. Watch the edges as the damn trucks have pushed up ridges that have turned into holes...quite amazingly big holes...in some places.

It's not too bad...but it changes the more heavy traffic it gets.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go hard Ivan, if the fearless XY can make it surely the toybo will have no probs.
Just stay out of the water and watch out for potholes......and coppers between GinGin & Gladstone AND Marlborough to Sarina....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

yeah we'll be leaving in the wee small hours, so will have eyes as big as dinner plates watching for potholes, wallopers and skippy roos.

how did the rally go tony? i imagine it'd be a blast to do an event like that.

Old 27-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

they have been busy patching up between Miriam Vale and Calliope and its not that bad now, still a couple of unsealed patches south of benaraby today but they should be done by the time you come through. looks like they are getting ready to do a major reseal with lots of gravel stock piled so hopefully you miss that or there could be stone chips and tar spots.

they have been busy on the Finger Board road (back road from bundy / miriam vale) as well and should just about be finished it . they were resealing a lot of it this week i think so it should be fine by the time you come past.

watch out for a crappy green coloured nissan pathfinder wagon parked on the side of the road, thats an unmarked camera car from gladstone. also a marked white nissan patrol wagon camera car.
an unmarked white commodore ute and a dark burgundy/ brown XR6 sedan (unmarked also). plus the usual mix of candy cars and white patrol cars that are around . this is not a good area for stretching the speed limit.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
MrsLow006

Bruce highway - I thought they stopped calling it that years ago - when the QLD govt decided to keep taking the rego fees off us up here but putting the money else where and the highway fell into disrepair to become the goat track it is. I tell you make sure you get a wheel alingement when you hit Townsville. Pot holes are a b.... and even harder to see at night. I swear I saw a B double disappear into a pothole outside Townsville the other day. Look up china cause that where he was likely gonna turn up. And the Popo have been hitting it hard - so saucer eyes on the speedo too.

XB - ENVY

XB WAGON - Dark Angel

Last edited by MrsLow006; 27-05-2011 at 10:30 PM.
MrsLow006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

yeah not likely to be pushing too hard, i'll have the automated 'smack around the head' speed alert bolted into the left seat too.

thanks all for the replies, pretty much confirmed my assumptions, which is a forecast of poholes and work areas, breifly broken up by intact roads....

Old 27-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
MrsLow006

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8falconsrule
yeah not likely to be pushing too hard, i'll have the automated 'smack around the head' speed alert bolted into the left seat too.
- I hope she gives you an extra one for bolting her to the seat

XB - ENVY

XB WAGON - Dark Angel
Old 27-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
MrsLow006

Actually you should try and come up for the Ford vs Holden day in July
See my signature - Roads might have tar on them by then

XB - ENVY

XB WAGON - Dark Angel
Old 27-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have just travelled the Peak Downs highway from Moranbah to Mackay on Saturday and Tuesday. It's a mess headed in. Worse when travelliing back (trucks are generally loaded from Mackay heading inland and empty heading back).
The road from Mackay to Ayr was pretty good to be honest with some minor roadwork activity. Few small potholes here and there. Just don't travel where the majority of the traffic or trucks travel. Position your car just off the drive line.
Honestly saw more police cars then potholes, so sticking to the speed limit or thereabout is recommended. This allows for plenty of reaction time just in case you have to avoid a pothole or rutt, not to mention keep the boys off your back.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
bigbretty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most of the holes have been fixed or patched between gin gin and miriam vale with a few more to go in bororen and on the way through. the worst areas are the actual wheel tracks, so be mindful of that when driving especially with what i suspect would be 19's on your G6E turbo?

2009 Falcon XR6t Ute in Mystic
bigbretty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

watch out for where the is soft patches of bitumen that have pushed up into a ridge. as if your car is lowered you can easily rip the front bumper off. and hit the wrong pot hole and you will damage a rim. probably advisable to drive during the daylight hours as your chance of spotting a pothole is better, and follow far enough back from the vehicle in front so you have time to react if they hit a pot hole. and if it is raining be extremally cautious as the pot holes will be hidden in puddles. most of the damaged road between st lawrence and bowen has been repaired at this stage.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, forgot that vital piece of information...stick exactly to, or maybe a bit under, the speed limit between Miriam Vale and probably slightly north of Mt Larcom (especially the ten kilometers or so north of Mt Larcom...they sit there with almost clockwork regularity). It's a well known speed camera hiding zone, at all hours of the day and night.
Interestingly, you will note that the council helps them out by not slashing the side of the road much except for the areas where the camera van hides.

If you are coming up from Bundy via the Rosedale Road "back road" to Miriam Vale, watch the potholes and roadworks.

And make sure you stop for a sausage roll at Miriam Vale roadhouse as you leave town...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
4stanger