Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Ford Introduces High-Efficiency EcoBoost Technology To Australia

• Ford EcoBoost delivers the performance of a larger capacity engine with the fuel economy of a much smaller unit
  • EcoBoost combines direct injection and turbocharging to deliver reductions in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by up to 20 per cent compared to conventional petrol engines
  • Mondeo spearheads local launch of high-efficiency EcoBoost technology with a 2.0-litre four-cylinder direct injection turbocharged petrol engine

Ford Australia today announced the introduction of Ford Motor Company's patented high-efficiency EcoBoost engine technology to the Australian market.

Ford's high-performance, fuel-saving EcoBoost engine technology will make its Australian debut in mid-2011, marking another major milestone in Ford Australia's plan to bring a range of sustainability initiatives to market, following the launch of Australia's first locally-produced diesel vehicle, the new SZ Territory.

Mondeo will spearhead the local launch of this new generation power-train technology, which uses direct injection and turbocharging to deliver more power and performance from a lower displacement power-plant, yet with impressive fuel economy and low CO2 emissions.

“Our new family of Ford EcoBoost petrol engines, which are being rolled out around the globe, represent a key element of Ford Motor Company's global 'Blueprint for Sustainability',” Bob Graziano, President & CEO, Ford Australia said.

“We believe that these engines will provide customers with a genuinely attractive alternative to diesel or hybrid power units, delivering highly competitive fuel economy and cost-of-ownership, along with the responsive performance and wide rev range that have made petrol engines the favoured choice for so many drivers.”
Mondeo will be first local Ford model to benefit from the global family of EcoBoost engines, utilising an EcoBoost 2.0-litre four cylinder direct injection turbocharged petrol engine, which produces 149 kW of power and 300 Nm of torque.

The 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine will be available on Mondeo Zetec and Titanium hatch models when it goes on sale mid year, in addition to the existing 2.0-litre Duratorq TDCi engine, which is already available across the range.

The 2.3-litre Duratec petrol engine will remain available only on entry level LX hatch and wagon variants following the introduction of EcoBoost.

A new era in engine development
Mondeo is among the first vehicles globally to offer the all-new EcoBoost 2.0-litre engine, which heralds a new era in Ford's petrol engine development.

Featuring lightweight all-aluminium construction, the latest-generation high-pressure direct injection system, low-inertia turbocharging and twin independent variable camshaft timing, the EcoBoost engine has an advanced combustion system that brings new levels of performance and fuel efficiency to petrol engines in this power range.

The EcoBoost 2.0-litre engine has a maximum power output of 149 kW at 6000 rpm, combined with maximum torque of 300Nm, which is delivered across a broad 1750-4500 rpm range.
Yet even with this level of performance, fuel economy and CO2 emissions from the EcoBoost engine are significantly improved.
Compared with the previous 118 kW 2.3-litre automatic powertrain, CO2 emissions are reduced by over 17 per cent to 187 g/km, even though the new engine has 26 per cent more power and 44 per cent more torque.

The EcoBoost 2.0-litre engine is mated to a new Ford PowerShift six-speed automatic transmission that is specifically calibrated to take advantage of the engine’s power curve. The gearbox includes a new torque converter for improved driving feel, smoother shifting and greater fuel economy through revised gear ratios.
With significant improvements to torque output and fuel efficiency, Mondeo EcoBoost generates over 30 per cent more torque than its key petrol engine competitors in the Medium segment, while at the same time delivering up to 10 per cent better fuel efficiency.

About EcoBoost
Ford Motor Company's global EcoBoost engine family is the cornerstone of its near-term sustainability plan to deliver high-volume, affordable, fuel-efficient vehicles that customers around the world both want and value.

EcoBoost is also an integrated part of Ford’s global mid- and long-term sustainability strategy. Combined with advanced multi-speed transmissions, electric power steering, weight reductions and aerodynamic improvements, EcoBoost will help Ford address the world’s energy challenges without sacrificing the joy of driving.
The EcoBoost family of engines features direct petrol injection, turbocharging and twin independent variable camshaft timing to maximise combustion efficiency, resulting in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions reduced by up to 20 per cent compared to conventional petrol engines with a similar power output.

The range of EcoBoost engines for Australian products will launch with a 2.0-litre four-cylinder unit for Mondeo in mid-2011, followed by the first global application of an EcoBoost engine in a rear-wheel drive vehicle in Falcon.

"The Mondeo was the first Ford vehicle in Australia to include elements of our 'kinetic design' styling language and, more importantly, it began to change the way that many people thought about the Ford brand," Graziano said.
"Mondeo will again take on the role of pioneer for the introduction of this new and innovative technology that characterises Ford's ambitious product launch calendar for 2011."
Over the next 12 months close to 85 per cent of Ford Australia's vehicle line-up will be all-new or significantly updated.

Opportunity to downsize
The core strategy behind EcoBoost is to downsize engine capacity so that larger naturally-aspirated engines can be replaced by much smaller units without sacrificing power output.

A key advantage of the EcoBoost approach to downsizing is a petrol engine that uses less fuel and produces fewer emissions. When combined with the use of turbocharging and other power-train technologies, it also delivers significantly improved torque and the performance of a larger capacity engine.

The performance boost offered by turbocharging typically results in a 50 per cent increase in torque, so there is a significant opportunity to downsize capacity while still providing a potential performance benefit.

The advantages of downsizing also include improved efficiency through reduced internal friction, lower pumping losses, and lighter weight – which also makes the engine warm up more quickly. This helps to ensure that the real-world fuel economy benefits of EcoBoost engines are delivered in all driving conditions, including both city and highway driving.

Advanced fuel-efficient power-train technology
The EcoBoost program is part of Ford’s ongoing and wide-ranging global initiative to deliver fuel-efficient power-train systems with the power and performance found in larger-displacement engines.
EcoBoost engines combine petrol direct injection with turbocharging to boost engine output, improve performance and fuel efficiency, while reducing emissions by as much as 20 per cent.

These technological advancements deliver high power ratings from lower-capacity engines, along with torque performance similar to that found on turbocharged diesels.

The key to the EcoBoost system is the harmony between the turbochargers and direct injection fuel system. The turbochargers recover energy from the exhaust that otherwise would have been wasted and put it back in the engine to gain efficiency.
Simply, the turbocharging system puts more air into the engine for more power. A compressor increases or “boosts” the pressure of the air entering the engine, while an intercooler reduces the air temperature before it enters the engine.

“Ford engineers looked at every available engine configuration, comparing power, price, economy and emissions, determining the best way to power Ford vehicles in the future,” said Derrick Kuzak, Group Vice President, Ford Global Product Development.
“EcoBoost technology gives us everything: a combination of the performance buyers expect and fuel economy improvements they demand that, until now, has only been achievable with the latest-generation turbo diesel power-trains.”

EcoBoost petrol engines use much of the same technology that is found in today’s state-of-the-art turbo-diesels, such as:
  • A high-pressure direct injection fuel system fed by a common rail that delivers a precise amount of fuel in the exact spot for fast and complete burn
  • Turbocharging to create a more dense mix of air and fuel in each cylinder
  • Special pistons with optimised bowls in the centre to improve combustion efficiency – these pistons are also oil-cooled, which reduces in-cylinder temperatures
  • Reduced CO2 emissions and improved fuel economy
Just like diesels, Ford’s EcoBoost engines deliver outstanding performance and driving enjoyment at all speeds. EcoBoost accomplishes this at less cost than a similar-displacement diesel engine.

“Ford customers have embraced EcoBoost technology because of its ability to deliver power and performance with uncompromised fuel economy,” said Kuzak.

“We’re committed to expanding its reach to more customers so they can enjoy its unique blend of power, performance and fuel economy.”
Ford plans to produce approximately 1.5 million EcoBoost engines globally by 2013 – 750,000 of these in the U.S, where availability of turbo-diesel engines in passenger cars is less widespread.
EcoBoost is already on sale in a number of Ford vehicles around the world and by 2013, will by available in 80 per cent of the company's global nameplates.

First global EcoBoost solution
Produced at Ford's Valencia Engine Plant in Spain, the EcoBoost 2.0-litre I-4 engine is the first engine in the EcoBoost lineup to go truly global.

Initially fitted to the S-MAX and Galaxy models in Europe, followed by the Edge crossover vehicle in the US and the European Mondeo lineup, it will now join the Australian Mondeo range in mid-2011.
A more powerful version of this engine will follow for the Australian market over the next 12 months, when Falcon EcoBoost is introduced, demonstrating how this technology is quickly migrating around the world as customers look for the perfect balance of horsepower with fuel economy.

EcoBoost contributes over 125 new U.S. patents
Ford holds more than 125 patents and patent applications on its EcoBoost technology, adding to the company's current roster of 4,618 active, and thousands of pending, U.S patents.
EcoBoost power-train management innovations make up the bulk of the technology's patents and patent applications, and involve the proprietary methods Ford uses to eliminate turbo lag and create a seamless, powerful driving experience.
The Ford power-train management strategy uses hundreds of thousands of lines of computer code and related parameters that are adjusted to optimise the engine and transmission operation.

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 15-03-2011 at 11:43 AM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Numbers look good, Mondeo is turning into a very very compelling family car alternative to the usual suspects in this country. They are gaining popularity, I saw 4 mud and dirt covered diesel Mondeos alone in Port Pirie around the main street and supermarkets - interesting to see their appeal to rural buyers.

I wonder how many sales Mondeo is already taking from Falcon, im very suprised they are adding EcoBoost to Mondeo before Falcon - thats going to take some shine off the Falcon launch.

I originally thought Mondeo wasnt getting the 2.0l Ecoboost at all in Australia due to it cannibalising Falcon sales, wonder whats changed?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
bigdude1011

Sounds great, though they should replace the 2.3 with the 1.6 Ecoboost.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Sounds like the perfect replacement for the high running cost Pajero that I have.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Ooh, that's not good.

All of the fuel saving promotions for having this engine in Falcon are going to be moot, since Mondeo will still use less again.

All indications were that FoA wasn't going to release EB 2.0 in Mondeo since they wanted people to buy Falcons, if that's changed, then something very bad is coming.

If Ford had any interest in gaining Falcon sales they wouldn't be releasing it in Mondeo before Falcon.
2012 Ford FG MkII G6E 2014 -
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
prasac
Banned

once again direct injection and turbo's

Ford and forced induction are definitely the go. good to see them getting into boost technology many moons ago and having alot of data of backing it up compared to other makers. turbo's are definitely the way of the future. i think last report i read something like 20% of new cars being produced are turbo.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brazen, I would assume, sad to say, Falcon is in its death throes..Mondeo will become the main car for Ford Australia, with the Taurus a large luxury car.
Ford are updating the Mondeo, within 12 months of the new release??? Never happened before. ??
Old 15-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I originally thought Mondeo wasnt getting the 2.0l Ecoboost at all in Australia due to it cannibalising Falcon sales, wonder whats changed?
I'd say head office told them they are getting it whether they like it or not.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any chance they will bring manual as well???

I really like the sound of this engine in Mondeo or Falcon..Seeing has the Falcon will be Auto only, it is off my list.. So Mondeo would be good, but it too is only Auto in this country, so off my list roo.. I assume they make a manual version for overseas countries?? I really hope Ford bring manual here too.

Very surprised they have bring it here before Falcon.. What has changed from 3-4 months ago??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've started seeing some service technicians such us Toshiba etc in Mondeo wagons so maybe slowly that is picking up former company Falcon BF/Commodore VZ wagon buyers that still need depth in the cargo area not provided by the VE. It would have been nice to get the ecoboost in the wagons to bridge that gap between former petrol I6 and new Modeo buyers.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its very odd the Falcon/Mondeo strategy. Same price, same size and now the same engine sitting in the same showroom. I cant think of any other make on the market which has two models which competes so obviously with each other.

Is Mondeo only made in Belgium? It would be good to see Ford AU become the next plant for it. If Falcon ever went FWD I'd rather it based on the Mondeo with its hatch and wagon body - which appeals to private buyers rather than the sedan only Taurus (unless Mondeo and Taurus merge next time round anyway).
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I don't get the Mondeo strategy.....the pricing is very close.

With LPG, diesel, and i4t is there really a need for the mondeo? It has the tech advantages but it seems one ford will bring the falcon up to speed soon enough.

IMO the mondeo only lives for the wagon and diesel....perhaps that should be the only option given. But it seems some either don't want a falcon of any description because they have been burnt in the past or are wary of old clichés surrounding it

Perhaps ford are hedging their bets until the future of the falcon is sorted...I mean they have actually done a bit of work on the mondeo name over the past few years..
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Probably because the Mondeo is starting to sell pretty well they want to take full advantage of it and build on its success. Giving petrol buyers a better alternative to the gutless 2.3 is a good move.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ford have made no secret of the fact they want Ecoboost in every model of car they sell, no surprises that the Mondeo is getting it and I would say FoA had little say in the matter.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 15-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Probably because the Mondeo is starting to sell pretty well they want to take full advantage of it and build on its success.
Exactly. Who'd have thought 12 months ago that Mondoeo would be the medium segment 2nd best selling vehicle?! Not me. I always believed it had potential, particularly the diesel and wagon, plus THAT German Shepherd advert helped raise awareness of the 'tech' features of Mondeo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Giving petrol buyers a better alternative to the gutless 2.3 is a good move.
I look after the section vehicle at work. The power of the Aurion combined with being Australian made won over the enjoyment quality of the Mondeo wagon. I was completely outvoted.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #16
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 
Default Re: Ford Introduces High-Efficiency EcoBoost Technology To Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Ford have made no secret of the fact they want Ecoboost in every model of car they sell, no surprises that the Mondeo is getting it and I would say FoA had little say in the matter.
Agreed. I don't see anything sinister in this at all. In fact, I would say that Ford Australia has clearly held off the EcoBoost Mondeo for as long as they possibly could. If more people on here had more positive expectations of Ford it would be more enjoyable for everyone.

In fact, I was questioning in another thread if they should just release EcoBoost Mondeo to get the name out there BEFORE it gets to Falcon. IMO EcoBoost technology NEEDS to have brand awareness built, it is NOT a 'given' like diesel and fuel saving that are automatically paired.

Launching it now in Mondeo is a great way to spread the advertising dollar for Ford and their model range. Hopefully, by the time EcoBoost arrives in Falcon, people (the masses) will know what it means and a nice uptick in sales can occur straight off the bat. No lag, just boost!

Retrotech thread
Old 15-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
In fact, I was questioning in another thread if they should just release EcoBoost Mondeo to get the name out there BEFORE it gets to Falcon. IMO EcoBoost technology NEEDS to have brand awareness built, it is NOT a 'given' like diesel and fuel saving that are automatically paired.
Mmm now that there is a good point.

Old 15-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #18
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Exactly. Who'd have thought 12 months ago that Mondoeo would be the medium segment 2nd best selling vehicle?! Not me. I always believed it had potential, particularly the diesel and wagon, plus THAT German Shepherd advert helped raise awareness of the 'tech' features of Mondeo.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Yes it is the 2nd best selling medium vehicle so far this year but we are only 2 months in. If you look at the graphs in the technical section Mondeo sales have been pretty stagnant for the entire period of the graphs. There has only been one month which has been out of the ordinary which happens to be last month.

However having said that I hope this is the start of an upward trend for the Mondeo. Am I right in thinking that the Ecoboost will not be available in the wagons at this stage or did I read the article wrong?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
If you look at the graphs in the technical section Mondeo sales have been pretty stagnant for the entire period of the graphs. There has only been one month which has been out of the ordinary which happens to be last month.
So what has happened last month to the Mondeo that hasn't really happened previously? I don't think they had any special deals. Unless there was a fleet push on the wagon.
Old 17-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #20
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Yes it is the 2nd best selling medium vehicle so far this year but we are only 2 months in. If you look at the graphs in the technical section Mondeo sales have been pretty stagnant for the entire period of the graphs. There has only been one month which has been out of the ordinary which happens to be last month.

However having said that I hope this is the start of an upward trend for the Mondeo. Am I right in thinking that the Ecoboost will not be available in the wagons at this stage or did I read the article wrong?
I agree. We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. But, overall i'm an optimist.

Does anyone? Including yourself Naddis or RussellW have the split of the Mondeo ie hatch & wagon.

Has there been any talk of what total sales Ford are hoping for with Mondeo with the newer EcoBoost hatch and diesel wagons?

I think they will be doing well if they keep them above 500/month and hopefully trend upwards to constantly keep 2nd in the segment with volumes similar to last months near record of over 700 sales. Perhaps Mondeo is finally catching on?

Retrotech thread
Old 18-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I don't think they would have needed much persuasion. It's a great engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Brazen, I would assume, sad to say, Falcon is in its death throes..Mondeo will become the main car for Ford Australia, with the Taurus a large luxury car.
Ford are updating the Mondeo, within 12 months of the new release??? Never happened before. ??
Don't count out Falcon just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah I don't get the Mondeo strategy.....the pricing is very close.

With LPG, diesel, and i4t is there really a need for the mondeo? It has the tech advantages but it seems one ford will bring the falcon up to speed soon enough.

IMO the mondeo only lives for the wagon and diesel....perhaps that should be the only option given. But it seems some either don't want a falcon of any description because they have been burnt in the past or are wary of old clichés surrounding it

Perhaps ford are hedging their bets until the future of the falcon is sorted...I mean they have actually done a bit of work on the mondeo name over the past few years..
I never really saw the need for the Mondeo in the beginning. It's quite large. But it does offer the small economic power trains that some people want, where Falcon caters for the rest. Smooth power in abundance.

I'm also looking forward to the swathes of Ford tech that is yet to arrive in the Falcon. Seeing as it's going through to 2015. It will have to get those upgrades as part of Mullaly's "Every Ford will have the best of everything in it's segment.". Either FG2 or FG2 Mk II will be the best Aussie car made.
Buntz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post