Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #31
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I reverse in whenever I can, I'd much prefer to leave a car space moving forward with better vision

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #32
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those "batman" style car things arent that expensive. A mate has one in his speccy new hotel (it has led's around it and checkerplates and all that) but I think that was only about $15K
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #33
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
reverse parking has merits but if you are going to return to the car with a fully laden trolley of groceries reverse parking up to a wall in a carpark is stupid so you drive in, if you are parking on the side of the road, reverse parking makes sense in the same scenario as you can load boot from footpath and dont have to worry about the camber on the road dragging the trolley into the back of your car, and for idiots driving past clipping you or your trolley or both, it depends where I am and what I am doing as to how I park, both should be an option as there are arguments for both, and at home there is a very strong argument for a batman style car turntable drive in spin round drive out
I used a loading dock like that once in the city. It was really cool. Especially so because the reverse gear in my ute had departed to attempt life on it's own.

As a side note, it is (apparently) illegal to reverse out of a driveway. You are supposed to reverse in so you can drive out forward.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #34
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
I used a loading dock like that once in the city. It was really cool. Especially so because the reverse gear in my ute had departed to attempt life on it's own.

As a side note, it is (apparently) illegal to reverse out of a driveway. You are supposed to reverse in so you can drive out forward.
I heard this being discussed on talkback the other day, though no one mentioned it was law.

What certainly is law is that you are not allowed to reverse out of a driveway on to the other side of the road, though no one really cares in suburban streets.

In terms of what is safer, well certainly no one doubts that driving out forwards is the way to go, but reversing in on a busy road?

Either you dangerously and inconsiderately stop traffic while you go past your driveway and reverse in, or you wait at the curb beside your driveway until there is a lull so you can reverse in without having to completely stop traffic.

When you are reversing out, one has to wait for a lull in the traffic until it is safe too, so what is the difference?

The difference is that while you are waiting you are not on the actual roadway if you are reversing out, while if you reverse in you are taking up space on the roadway while you are waiting, that in itself creating congestion and a safety issue.

In regards to reversing into parks at shopping centres, never considered it, but cant see why you'd want to if it means you cant get at the boot of the car easily. Others might mistake one's intentions or take advantage, and try and drive into the park forwards as you go past it and line up to reverse into it
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Ah yes. Reverse angle parking. Without doubt the best way to stuff up traffic flow.

(You can always tell if a car comes from a town with this system. The left rear mudflap is missing )
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #36
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

Well I'm disappointed, I thought this was about techniques to GO parking.....

I prefer to reverse in where possible, easier to get out.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #37
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Reverse in where ever I can including my own driveway and shed. I find it more dangerous backing out into traffic. Especially if the kids are in the car.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #38
g220ba
FGX XR8

Well the discussion sort of went in the direction i thought it would. As some have mentioned in certain situations both options do have their merits. Very interesting to read some of the reasoning behind some of the answers though.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #39
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
. I find it more dangerous backing out into traffic.
when i lived in brissie as a kid, my folks would always reverse into their drive. we lived on a semi main road and i vaguely remember my dad saying something about it being illegal to reverse out onto the road.

we never held up traffic backing in as it is a wide road so you just pull into the gutter and wait for a gap, then back in.

not sure if it is still a law. i would assume it only relates to backing on to a main road.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #40
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

I found with my ute it has the worst turning circle ever and trying to drive in forwards is often dificult. have to almost do a 3 point turn to get in. reversing in is certainly easier because the front will swing around more. I still prefer to drive in if i can.

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #41
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite possibly the reversing backwards is a technicality?
You cant drive backwards down a road into oncoming traffic, which is what your doing once you reverse into oncoming traffic?

But then if you go past your driveway to reverse into it, still breaking the same rule?

Dont ever recall when learning to drive any mention about reversing out of a drive... but then with some age the memory does fade

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #42
Big Bird 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I can't reverse park very good, so I just drive around until I find a parking spot I can drive through into, lol. I don't see how it is "easier" to reverse park, its a pain in the ***, its easier to judge distance through the windscreen then it is through mirrors. Also the mirrors in my Fiesta seem to be different from the right and left side, and the rear vision mirror is the only one which is a "normal" mirror.

When I did my driving test, they just asked me to do a 3 point turn, so easy since you can use a driveway now.
If you are reverse parking in a shopping centre have a look at your reflection in the shop window so you can see how close you are to the car behind you.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #43
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

I drive in forward as it's easier and cheaper to replace my standard rear bar over my TE50 front bar, if someone were to reverse into it.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #44
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 17
If you are reverse parking in a shopping centre have a look at your reflection in the shop window so you can see how close you are to the car behind you.
Or look at your car's reflection on the side panel of the car next to you. I've done it and it works when you want to know how close you are to the car behind you (if reversing into a stall). Kinda difficult if that car is filthy/dirty/dusty/or covered in horrid bumper stickers. Difficult to imagine but I've seen cars like that.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #45
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bombala has rear to kerb parking in the main street. most locals struggle with it, most visitors are baffled by it, most victorians park front in anyway.

Cooma is front to kerb parking. it's easier to find a spot and jump right into it, but as OP pointed out, you are then backing into oncoming traffic.