Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #31
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

It's like a camera car, see one and hit the skids... get up the road then flash oncoming cars. my dad got done for something absolutely ridiculous by one and so now I'm over cautious.
If you have blown a rear globe in the last few days, it's a fine. so i wouldn't risk it.
How many times a month do most of us check them?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #32
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
australians are the most law abiding motorists on the planet by far. If they see a police car they freak out, it goes to show that people are more driving nowadays to avoid a ticket than drive safe.

hmm... no i would say not!
A large amount speed, tail gate, drink drink, drive while drugged up, fail to stop at stop signs, drive through red lights, text while driving, use a mobile while driving, hog the fast lane in a freeway, speed up when being overtaken....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #33
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
As I said, Ive done exactly that, not passed the cop car. Ive also passed them. Fear had nothing to do with it, but no matter what my reason it would all look the same to the OP. Maybe the car he was referring too had fear of some sort, maybe they think more like me. You cant know, you can only guess. So it cant possibly be knowledge of fear, it can only be a general attitude to people driving below the limit, and questioning that.
I'm not sure what your trying to say here but i'll take a punt.....are you saying that because TEaaron hadnt spoken to the 6 drivers behind the cop car doing 20kph below the limit, that he cant assume they are tailing the cop car because they afraid of overtaking the cop car. Is this right?
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #34
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Is that fear? Giving some motorists the finger, but not the copper? Or is it common sense and not wanting a fine or hassle?
It's aggressive, and therefore illegal to give anyone the finger on the road.
But it is not illegal to pass a cop if you are not speeding. SO I don't see the comparison between them.

As for overtaking cops, If I am doing the limit and a cop is going noticeably slower on a multi-lane road, I will pass them without thinking twice about it... if I don't need to turn left soon.

If you want to drive behind a slow cop, knock yourself out. Doesn't worry me.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #35
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
A large amount speed, tail gate, drink drink, drive while drugged up, fail to stop at stop signs, drive through red lights, text while driving, use a mobile while driving, hog the fast lane in a freeway, speed up when being overtaken....
hey you leave me out of this....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #36
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Old 27-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #37
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

guilty conscience too??? lol

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
guilty conscience too??? lol
havent you ever driven through six sets of traffic lights stoned and in a quiet moment thought.. were they all green........
Old 27-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #39
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
I'm not sure what your trying to say here but i'll take a punt.....are you saying that because TEaaron hadnt spoken to the 6 drivers behind the cop car doing 20kph below the limit, that he cant assume they are tailing the cop car because they afraid of overtaking the cop car. Is this right?
If you go look at the first post I made, youll see I pretty much said maybe it wasnt fear, and I did state why I know that is possible. IMO, the OP responded and missed that point, I responded to him saying that he missed the point, you responded to that with words to the effect of, there was no point to miss, they must be scared because you say so.

OK, youre psychic. Yes yes I got the notion you think if the cop car wasnt there it would be business as usual. Except I stated I do the same thing with normal cars, not just coppers, I also see others do the same. I do it because I dont know why they are going slower, not because Im scared Ill get booked. Others may just not care, and go slower with them without thinking about why.

So how do you know it would be business as usual? Because it was like that yesterday? So? Youre aware if there was no car there at all, it wouldnt have been a problem either, hardly proves anything though does it?

The OP and you and anyone else can assume anything they like. Its the conclusion that I think is premature. And Ive tried to elucidate a few reasons why assumptions and impatience are counterproductive to other things people may want to see change like highway limits to 130 etc, desires that may strike a chord here. Also other instances where similar attitudes prevail further influencing the publics view of speed (speed, not speeding, theres a difference). Apparently its too complex.

If you cant see it, I cant help with that.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #40
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
havent you ever driven through six sets of traffic lights stoned and in a quiet moment thought.. were they all green........
No, but Ive ridden the bike long long ago and wondered how the hell I got where I was not remembering anything about the last 100 metres, followed 100 metres down the road with the same thought.

Its short term memory effects. Not concentration effects. That is, its the past you forget, not what youre doing now.

Still, dumb as.
Old 27-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #41
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, but Ive ridden the bike long long ago and wondered how the hell I got where I was not remembering anything about the last 100 metres, followed 100 metres down the road with the same thought.

Its short term memory effects. Not concentration effects. That is, its the past you forget, not what youre doing now.

Still, dumb as.
toot toot magic flute....
Old 27-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #42
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
If you go look at the first post I made, youll see I pretty much said maybe it wasnt fear, and I did state why I know that is possible.
Yes...based on your own driving actions.....but not the other 6 drivers.

Quote:
OK, youre psychic. Yes yes I got the notion you think if the cop car wasnt there it would be business as usual. Except I stated I do the same thing with normal cars, not just coppers, I also see others do the same. I do it because I dont know why they are going slower, not because Im scared Ill get booked. Others may just not care, and go slower with them without thinking about why.

So how do you know it would be business as usual? Because it was like that yesterday? So? Youre aware if there was no car there at all, it wouldnt have been a problem either, hardly proves anything though does it?
Nah...im not Psychic (much to the wifes disgrace ) but assumptions are based on observations and I, like TEarron, have observed cars trailing behind a cop car. Now ask 98.5% of the population why....and they will more than likey say it's because they dont want to draw attention to themselves by passing a cop car...ie fear. I myself have done it in the past...just hang in the traffic with the copper and not pass him.
I know it would be business as usual because TEarron stated so. Was it pure coincidence that this particular day 6 drivers were happy to hang behind a car doing 20 kph under...no pobably not....the difference was it was a cop car. Your aware that if the 6 drivers weren't behind the cop car it wouldnt have been a problem either............

Quote:
The OP and you and anyone else can assume anything they like. Its the conclusion that I think is premature.
Well TEaaron had his conclusion and you have your conclusion and they are both opinions. Your conclusion would be just as premature as his because you both didnt get to interview the 6 drivers.

Quote:
Also other instances where similar attitudes prevail further influencing the publics view of speed (speed, not speeding, theres a difference). Apparently its too complex.

If you cant see it, I cant help with that.
So your telling us not to assume what other people are thinking but now your a representative on the publics view on speed (and thats speed...not speeding)
Old 27-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #43
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah because these things dont occur overseas... Get real, next you will be saying that Australia is the only place with a road toll.

Australia has the most law abiding motorists of any country I have driven in.

Last edited by Brazen; 27-12-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #44
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Yes...based on your own driving actions.....but not the other 6 drivers.

Nah...im not Psychic (much to the wifes disgrace ) but assumptions are based on observations and I, like TEarron, have observed cars trailing behind a cop car. Now ask 98.5% of the population why....and they will more than likey say it's because they dont want to draw attention to themselves by passing a cop car...ie fear. I myself have done it in the past...just hang in the traffic with the copper and not pass him.
I know it would be business as usual because TEarron stated so. Was it pure coincidence that this particular day 6 drivers were happy to hang behind a car doing 20 kph under...no pobably not....the difference was it was a cop car. Your aware that if the 6 drivers weren't behind the cop car it wouldnt have been a problem either............

Well TEaaron had his conclusion and you have your conclusion and they are both opinions. Your conclusion would be just as premature as his because you both didnt get to interview the 6 drivers.

So your telling us not to assume what other people are thinking but now your a representative on the publics view on speed (and thats speed...not speeding)
Im not the one saying what they are thinking, I offered an alternative to fear from experience. I know people who would give the finger if it wanst a cop car, you can hear the throttle roar as they floor it and note a distinct 'blueish' atmosphere emanating from the driver seat of the car with the finger and lets just say animated expressions. I also know a lot people who are just more patient than that too. Id say your 98.5% is way overstated. It may also be one factor, Id say I would have a concern that maybe a tailight/brakelight has recently blown and as yet un-noticed. But it isnt the driving reason. I just cant be bothered to be in a hurry anymore. There was a time where I was always in a hurry, always 10 k over on my bike or car, splitting traffic on the bike etc. Not because I was so busy, but because I left leaving to the last minute leading to a need to rush. When I tried a different approach, I found it far more enjoyable and less stressful. Ive been on both sides of the fence. It is illegal to split traffic, yet I did so and at times there were coppers in the traffic and Ive never been done for it.

The publics view on speed is well known. We dont elect new Governments as a result of say speed cameras, in fact they can announce 100 more, and get re-elected. When a govco changes from one party to the other, they dont start pulling them. This is a clear indication of the majorities view on speed. Not much guesswork involved. Im fairly certain there are some who would not support raising speed limits, yet would feel comfortable in themselves doing 130, but its the other drivers attitudes and potential for mayhem they are concerned with. The others they see who seem impatient. I know that, as Im one of them. No way would I vote for 130 limits, given the current mindset of many other drivers. Yet, I would love to see 130 on many of our freeways.

The public have a view of people who drive in a certain manner, I have an idea on where that view comes from. Take it or leave it. But Id suggest the silence from the general public on higher speed limits, is telling. I guess we will see how much support Tasmanians get fighting the state limit being dropped to 90.
Old 27-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #45
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
Im not the one saying what they are thinking, I offered an alternative to fear from experience. I know people who would give the finger if it wanst a cop car, you can hear the throttle roar as they floor it and note a distinct 'blueish' atmosphere emanating from the driver seat of the car with the finger and lets just say animated expressions. I also know a lot people who are just more patient than that too. Id say your 98.5% is way overstated. It may also be one factor, Id say I would have a concern that maybe a tailight/brakelight has recently blown and as yet un-noticed. But it isnt the driving reason. I just cant be bothered to be in a hurry anymore. There was a time where I was always in a hurry, always 10 k over on my bike or car, splitting traffic on the bike etc. Not because I was so busy, but because I left leaving to the last minute leading to a need to rush. When I tried a different approach, I found it far more enjoyable and less stressful. Ive been on both sides of the fence. It is illegal to split traffic, yet I did so and at times there were coppers in the traffic and Ive never been done for it.

The publics view on speed is well known. We dont elect new Governments as a result of say speed cameras, in fact they can announce 100 more, and get re-elected. When a govco changes from one party to the other, they dont start pulling them. This is a clear indication of the majorities view on speed. Not much guesswork involved. Im fairly certain there are some who would not support raising speed limits, yet would feel comfortable in themselves doing 130, but its the other drivers attitudes and potential for mayhem they are concerned with. The others they see who seem impatient. I know that, as Im one of them. No way would I vote for 130 limits, given the current mindset of many other drivers. Yet, I would love to see 130 on many of our freeways.

The public have a view of people who drive in a certain manner, I have an idea on where that view comes from. Take it or leave it. But Id suggest the silence from the general public on higher speed limits, is telling. I guess we will see how much support Tasmanians get fighting the state limit being dropped to 90.
The issue here isn't speeding....it's not the publics view on speeding either. The original post by TEarron was why are people travelling behind a cop car doing 20kph below the limit. We are actually talking about doing 33% below the limit in a 60 zone. Nothing to do with speeding. The issue here is why are 6 people with a cop car in front of them sitting in the right lane of a multicarriage road doing 20 kph below the limit. Your arguement is basically TEarron has no right to assume what the six drivers are thinking....irrespective of whether they are scared, cautious or just plain old not in a hurry. But since he's a regular on the road...and he was actually there, I reckon his assumption is pretty accurate. Maybe one or two of the drivers weren't in a hurry....but not all six....they were a teeny weeny bit too scared to pass the cop car. Hey if you wanna do 40kph in a 60 zone....get in the left hand lane. Were they all turning right .... who knows...TEarron never mentioned it.....but he did mention that they were all just cruising along. Plus if you stay behind the cop car then you cant pass it....which is why they were all doing the locomotion behind the cop in the right lane.
Old 27-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #46
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
The issue here isn't speeding....it's not the publics view on speeding either. The original post by TEarron was why are people travelling behind a cop car doing 20kph below the limit. We are actually talking about doing 33% below the limit in a 60 zone. Nothing to do with speeding. The issue here is why are 6 people with a cop car in front of them sitting in the right lane of a multicarriage road doing 20 kph below the limit. Your arguement is basically TEarron has no right to assume what the six drivers are thinking....irrespective of whether they are scared, cautious or just plain old not in a hurry. But since he's a regular on the road...and he was actually there, I reckon his assumption is pretty accurate. Maybe one or two of the drivers weren't in a hurry....but not all six....they were a teeny weeny bit too scared to pass the cop car. Hey if you wanna do 40kph in a 60 zone....get in the left hand lane. Were they all turning right .... who knows...TEarron never mentioned it.....but he did mention that they were all just cruising along. Plus if you stay behind the cop car then you cant pass it....which is why they were all doing the locomotion behind the cop in the right lane.
Oh god, how many times can I explain this.

It reflects an attitude, why does anyone care if no-one passes the cop car, or any other car for that matter. Its rhetorical, dont answer it. They dont have too pass, not legally, so a question arises, why do you care? Its an expectation other vehicles wont prevent you being able to do the limit, as indicated by your comment the copper at said speed is a hazard. He just isnt a hazard. Not to anyone who can control the speed and read traffic. So really, he isnt the hazard, those claiming he is a hazard are the hazard.

The speed references, public perception reference, were all something to demonstrate what that attitude or expectation leads too. It isnt hard.

Never mind mate. Reap what you sow.
Old 27-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #47
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
Oh god, how many times can I explain this.

It reflects an attitude, why does anyone care if no-one passes the cop car, or any other car for that matter. Its rhetorical, dont answer it.
I'll answer it...because it's courtesy mate...courtesy....get into the left lane if you want to do 33% less than the speed limit. Same as if being courtious to people try to merge onto the highway. Dont have to.....but it's courtesy!
Old 27-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #48
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

geesh you cant even come onto a forum and make a casual observation that many drivers appear nervous to overtake a police car, without your character and attitudes to driving being slammed.

Good to see all that money spent on those "road safety" ads actually do make an impact.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #49
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people may be scared, some might be turning left, some might not even know the cop car is going slow.

I have been following cars for ages with my mind else where and I finally look down at the speedo and see i am doing 15 less then the limit following this car when I could of easily just overtook them in the other lane.
No one know why the car in front of them does anything. You can make as many assumptions as you like, and they may or may not be true. Who knows, who cares.

The car that is doing 20 over the limit and starts tail-gating you might not be some hoon like you might jump to the conclusion, they may be on the way to the hospital in a hurry for whatever reason. Who knows why they are driving quickly, most people just jump to the conclusion that they are a reckless hoon who cares about no one.

It works both ways.

On the roads most people hate everyone else who is not going the exact same speed as them and is not going the exact same route.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #50
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Just today I was cruising along at 70 in a 70 zone, and a Mazda6 flew past me at close to 90. A hundred metres ahead a parked cop car flashed the lights and pulled the guy over on a side road.
I stayed at 70 kph as I drove past, but the eight other cars on the road slowed (unnecessarily) to about 60, and didn't speed up once they'd passed the lone cop. If that wasn't fear then I don't know what it was.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 04:41 AM   #51
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Some people may be scared, some might be turning left, some might not even know the cop car is going slow.

I have been following cars for ages with my mind else where and I finally look down at the speedo and see i am doing 15 less then the limit following this car when I could of easily just overtook them in the other lane.
No one know why the car in front of them does anything. You can make as many assumptions as you like, and they may or may not be true. Who knows, who cares.

The car that is doing 20 over the limit and starts tail-gating you might not be some hoon like you might jump to the conclusion, they may be on the way to the hospital in a hurry for whatever reason. Who knows why they are driving quickly, most people just jump to the conclusion that they are a reckless hoon who cares about no one.

It works both ways.

On the roads most people hate everyone else who is not going the exact same speed as them and is not going the exact same route.
Spot on.
Old 28-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #52
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
Just today I was cruising along at 70 in a 70 zone, and a Mazda6 flew past me at close to 90. A hundred metres ahead a parked cop car flashed the lights and pulled the guy over on a side road.
I stayed at 70 kph as I drove past, but the eight other cars on the road slowed (unnecessarily) to about 60, and didn't speed up once they'd passed the lone cop. If that wasn't fear then I don't know what it was.

Just my 2 cents' worth.
I agree. Speaks for itself really doesnt it.