Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default The bank

I was thinking the other day, I have about $600 in my wallet, which I've been meaning to get down to the bank to put in my account, but I can never find the time to do so because I'm either at work, or the bank closes early on Saturday and it isn't open on Sunday, plus then I have to stand in a line, talk to a cashier and remember all my bank account numbers like BSB, Acc no etc.

You should be able to put your debit card into the ATM and put cash into it and it adds it to your bank balance there and then, ATMs never close and are available 24/7 (besides when its being serviced).

What are your opinions on this?

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

sounds good if a atm could do that but in regard to having to remember you account number you dont as they swipe your car to get the details
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
BA Baracus
xls

Used to be able to deposit at ATM's in an envelope (maybe still can at some?), had metal box thing below the ATM with slot in it and I think the ATM itself even dispensed the envelope.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Baracus
Used to be able to deposit at ATM's in an envelope (maybe still can at some?), had metal box thing below the ATM with slot in it and I think the ATM itself even dispensed the envelope.
Wow, I never knew that. I've seen the metal box thing bu it only has old reciepts it dispenses that people thrown in there.
Old 18-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another task relied upon by computers, what if it gets the amount wrong? there is no way to prove how much you put in so you're stuffed. I don't know about you but I'm all for the human element.

Seriously it is not that hard to find time to go to the bank, If your that flat out get your mum or dad to pop in and do it for you, or tell your boss you need to leave a bit early as you need to get to the bank before it closes. There is no need to have your acc numbers if you have your card as stated above.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Another task relied upon by computers, what if it gets the amount wrong? there is no way to prove how much you put in so you're stuffed. I don't know about you but I'm all for the human element.

Seriously it is not that hard to find time to go to the bank, If you don't have time get your mum or dad to pop in and do it for you, or tell your boss you need to leave a bit early as you need to get to the bank before it closes. There is no need to have your acc numbers if you have your card as stated above.
Well, when was the last time the ATM dispensed the "wrong amount" when you used it to withdraw money? It hasn't happened to me, its never shown me the wrong figure when I've checked my balance either.

If it knows what notes are which when it spits it out, it would know what they are when they go back in.
Old 18-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Well, when was the last time the ATM dispensed the "wrong amount" when you used it to withdraw money? It hasn't happened to me, its never shown me the wrong figure when I've checked my balance either.

If it knows what notes are which when it spits it out, it would know what they are when they go back in.

Computers can malfunction and i'm sure they have spat out the wrong amount before.
Old 18-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Computers can malfunction and i'm sure they have spat out the wrong amount before
Of course they can, same with the human behind the counter.

Quote:
Computers can malfunction and i'm sure they have spat out the wrong amount before.
Serial number? Clear plastic? Colour of note?
Old 18-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also not having seen inside an ATM before and the set up I assume that each denomination is put in a separate slot, so the ATM doesn't exactly know which note is which but knows which slot to get a $20 from and which to get a $50 from, How is it suppose to judge which note is which when inserted by us?

Gees this editing thing is a stuff up lol

Quote:
Of course they can, same with the human behind the counter.

Serial number? Clear plastic? Colour of note?
You can reason with a human, re count the cash, etc

So you're suggesting a complete overhaul of the ATM machine as well? quite a lot of money to be spent there for very little gain IMO
Old 18-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
I was thinking the other day, I have about $600 in my wallet, which I've been meaning to get down to the bank to put in my account, but I can never find the time to do so because I'm either at work, or the bank closes early on Saturday and it isn't open on Sunday, plus then I have to stand in a line, talk to a cashier and remember all my bank account numbers like BSB, Acc no etc.

You should be able to put your debit card into the ATM and put cash into it and it adds it to your bank balance there and then, ATMs never close and are available 24/7 (besides when its being serviced).

What are your opinions on this?

the solution is to get married , you'll never have to worry about BSB,acc no's or bank deposits ever again
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
BA Baracus
xls

Quote:
Also not having seen inside an ATM before and the set up I assume that each denomination is put in a separate slot, so the ATM doesn't exactly know which note is which but knows which slot to get a $20 from and which to get a $50 from, How is it suppose to judge which note is which when inserted by us?
Must be some way to know because pokie machines, parking vending machine etc. accept various denominations of notes.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

It doesn't know what notes it's spitting out, it only knows how many of a denomination it's spitting out.

On the ATM's I used to repair, it had a bin or $20's and a bin of $50's. It'll pick notes and count off either or both denominations. If it counts incorrectly or finds an inconsistency, it'll dump the lot into a reject bin and start again. You could stick monopoly money in either bin and the ATM wouldn't know the difference.

There are ATM's you can deposit money into an envelope (normally located in the side of a wall at a bank) but it requires manual intervention before the money will be credited to your account.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
the solution is to get married , you'll never have to worry about BSB,acc no's or bank deposits ever again
I'm not sure whether that's because she takes care of all that or she's spent it quicker than it went it..
Old 18-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I'm not sure whether that's because she takes care of all that or she's spent it quicker than it went it..
BOTH . the only thing i do is look at the statements occasionally when i can bare it and do this
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
It doesn't know what notes it's spitting out, it only knows how many of a denomination it's spitting out.

On the ATM's I used to repair, it had a bin or $20's and a bin of $50's. It'll pick notes and count off either or both denominations. If it counts incorrectly or finds an inconsistency, it'll dump the lot into a reject bin and start again. You could stick monopoly money in either bin and the ATM wouldn't know the difference.

There are ATM's you can deposit money into an envelope (normally located in the side of a wall at a bank) but it requires manual intervention before the money will be credited to your account.
I thought an ATM would be more advanced than this rather than notes being put into separate bins.
Old 18-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #16
3vXT

Just give me the money. I'll put it in the bank on the day after next yesterday.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Just give me the money. I'll put it in the bank on the day after next yesterday.
well obviously ken2903 can't be trusted so best just give it to me to deposit for you.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 03:25 AM   #18
Bobman
Regulator

Agree. You should be able to transfer, withdraw and deposit at ATM's. However, the most annoying thing with banks is the delay it takes in direct debit. If you are transferring to another "same bank" account, then usually it's instant - but in this day and age there should not be a 2-3 day wait to get money.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you never seen note acceptors ? they are used in vending machines at car washes poker machines and probably other applications I havent thought of. they examine key features of the note and either accapt or reject it based on it matching the features programed into it
Quote:

Gees this editing thing is a stuff up lol

You can reason with a human, re count the cash, etc

So you're suggesting a complete overhaul of the ATM machine as well? quite a lot of money to be spent there for very little gain IMO

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #20
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
have you never seen note acceptors ? they are used in vending machines at car washes poker machines and probably other applications I havent thought of. they examine key features of the note and either accapt or reject it based on it matching the features programed into it
Yep i have, tbh I completely forgot about them lol, but as has been posted above the ATM just grabs it from a bin and doesn't actually identify the note at all, you can put in monopoly money in the bins and it'd still spit it out. Would be quite a large overhaul of the machines though to include it.
Old 19-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #21
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I thought an ATM would be more advanced than this rather than notes being put into separate bins.
It doesn't really need to be.

Security guard comes in with a bin full of $20's and a bin full of $50's that have been counted and checked by bank staff (or an associated machine) and inserts the bins into the ATM. The ATM keeps a track of what it dispenses.

I wasn't involved in fixing all model ATM's so there may be some out there that are a little more advanced. More advanced = more that can go wrong.
Old 19-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Would be quite a large overhaul of the machines though to include it.
not really note acceptors are only a few hundred dollard the deposit cash could go into a different bin

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #23
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You can still do this at ATM that accept deposits. These are usually only located at a branch, so the deposits can be processed by branch staff. the amount is not added to your balance until its processed and amount verified.

Quote:
Wow, I never knew that. I've seen the metal box thing bu it only has old reciepts it dispenses that people thrown in there.
thats what that one is, a rubbish bin, The deposit shute only opens when actually making a deposit. Its usually under the note dispenser. Had a customer claim she made a deposit, and after some investigation, thats where she put it, in the rubbish bin, so had to go thought the rubbish to find it.

Quote:
people certainly do make mistakes, but the deposits are cleared and checked by two people to make sure there are all correct or any errors noted.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #24
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
not really note acceptors are only a few hundred dollard the deposit cash could go into a different bin
but dont forget that people can also deposit cheques in the envelopes, so i can see that the banks would modify ATM's to include note acceptors, when they still need whats there now.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use ATM's to deposit cash regularly. It shows up on my account balance immediately, but not in available funds until its been processed by staff at the end of the day. Sure beats lining up and filling out a deposit slip.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #26
JazManXII
Starter Motor

ATM's are pretty reliable devices but if one ever does stuff up are you going to not be annoyed
im happy to make the time to deposit money myself rather than having to find time to make a complaint about them screwing up to only have to wait weeks for a solution
JazManXII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #27
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I had one stuff up on me once, two 20$ bills stuck together so I got an extra $20. Bonus! To be honest I just wish banks would open later, till 4.30 or 5. Then workers wouldn't have to arrange time off or get up early on Saturdays to do their banking.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post