Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default industry standard for smash repairs

Hi, just need to know who is, or looks after the NSW industry standard for smash repairs/panel beating?
For example; Is it the australian design rules (ADR).Do they advise on car repair or is it another authority?

cheers mick

Last edited by Pis-ton broke; 03-09-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
Hi, just need to know who is, or looks after the NSW industry standard for smash repairs/panel beating?
For example; Is it the australian design rules (ADR).Do they advise on car repair or is it another authority?

cheers mick
the manufacturer releases a crash repair manual for cars as they are released.
this outlines how they should be repaired. but as far as i know there is no authority that checks over the work.
If the car has been written off then the car requires inspection but not if it hasnt been written off by the insurance company.
In victoria the roadworthy centres have been advised to check cars for previous repairs that are sub-standard but not sure about NSW.

I know of cars in victoria that have been repaired years ago and then fail a RWC becuse of substandard repairs. the car then has to go back to the repairer to be rectified to standards or i have also heard of panels shops buying the cars back.

hope this helps
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Industry standards = if the customer doesnt notice then its fine !!!!!

Ive been through the mill on this (in Vic)

No one wants to know really !!!!!!!!

for a $4,500 repair ive paid out $9,500 to lawyers (to get my car back) and another $5,000 to a panel shop in rectification works (could have spent more ! )

do your homework on any repairer before you sign an AUTHORISATION TO REPAIR, and make sure you get a completion date (over a year and a half and still no car for me !!)

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Pis-ton broke
Banned

hi fellas, thanks for the reponses. I may be getting a repairable - written off ba ute. It may have rear chassis damage. As I,m a qualified boilermaker and coded welder, I feel very confident that I can fix it. However I want to follow recommend repair guidelines. So I,m doing my homework. Looks like I should ring up Ford.
You wouldn,t beleave the wrong or just B/S that I have been getting from people that should know. Do I have a sign on my forehead that says "sucker"
thanks again!

Mick
Old 03-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Repairable written off ???
Doesnt that mean the cost to fix out wieghs the cars worth ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Pis-ton broke
Banned

thats right, however I,m not paying for labour, painting, welding etc. I can use secondhand parts if I like.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
hi fellas, thanks for the reponses. I may be getting a repairable - written off ba ute. It may have rear chassis damage. As I,m a qualified boilermaker and coded welder, I feel very confident that I can fix it. However I want to follow recommend repair guidelines. So I,m doing my homework. Looks like I should ring up Ford.
You wouldn,t beleave the wrong or just B/S that I have been getting from people that should know. Do I have a sign on my forehead that says "sucker"
thanks again!

Mick
Hi Mick,

I buy on average 2-5 repairable write off's per week, and it isnt as daunting as what it may seem. Having said this I am not sure what state you are in, so just be aware that there are currently legislative changes happening in alot of the states with repairable write offs, which could potentially impact on your project if it is to be a long term one.

Apart from the labour part of the process, also keep in mind (and I am talking from a South Aussie requirement, however it is I believe similar in most states) that the paper trail is huge and must be met. With most, if not all repairable write off's, you will find that you will have to buy some parts, whether they be headlights/tail lights/ air bag kits, etc. The most important part of this is to keep all of your records - if purchased parts are second hand then you need to ensure that you have the VIN from the donor car, and that this is recorded on the receipts.

There is so much more I could tell you, so please feel free to ask away. The other final thing I would like to mention is to make sure that the bargain you are getting is just that - a bargain. When you take into account labour time, parts purchased and finally the cost to get it through your state motor vehicle registery, that bargain can sometimes turn into something more expensive than out of the paper or car yard. In SA I have to factor in $1k alone just for both inspections and then 3 months rego - this is a substantial amount of money for any project, especially given it has nothing to do with the physical part of the car itself........

Cheers

Craig
Old 03-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Repairable written off ???
Doesnt that mean the cost to fix out wieghs the cars worth ???
no.

In one auction this year, I brought 6 cars, all 08/09 models that sell for over $35k each, for a total of $32k. These cars were hail damaged, and didnt require any parts, just some work by my panel beater and spray painter. In one day they knocked over 3 cars ( as an example of the minimal damage). Those 3 cars I then moved for their average sale value, thus meaning I was almost ahead (if not ahead) with half the cars purchased.

Cheers

Craig
Old 03-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Hi Craig, my new best friend. Thanks for the advice. I rebuilt a written off road bike a few years ago. I know exactly what you are saying, do your sums and dot your " I,s " and cross " T,s " so to speak. I once put a non- pollution motor in a Sigma, got the blue ticket etc, then at the rta they said "this is the wrong motor for this car" I had to meany coffees that morning, and I was very upset .
Do you know who to speak to at ford to get repair guidelines? Welding procedures are important.
1K for inspectons and three months rego sounds a lot.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

adelaidecrows02 is right, you do need to do your sums

In vic by the time you get a VIV inspection (you take the car to them) and factor in the repair, it needs to be a bargain. you can loose days and weeks on these things..

As for being a boilermaker, its a good trade, and you can earn some great money on shutdowns and away work

But do you really want to spend your weekends working on a car when you could be driving another ? (OK, we all need a hobby, but without a jig and the manufacturers specs to PULL it back to where it should be ????????? )

Goodluck with your search pal

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
adelaidecrows02

Mate, I would have no idea whom to speak to - I rely soley on my panel beater who does a great job, and has only failed me once, which I believe was the result of a huge night after meeting a new girly. For him I think it just a matter of industry experience. Having said this, I will speak to him on Monday, and if he is happy with it, I will send you my number and you can speak to him.

$1k is alot. In total it actually adds up to around $850, which includes both inspections, stamp duties etc etc. I budget for the $1k in case I fail an inspection - if this happens I then have to pay a minimal amount, cost is dependant on if it is road worthy or Tier 3.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Thanks Craig, a good contact shore would be handy about now.
Unfortantly I can,t inspect the car until the auction day, so I,ll take a day off work and check it out. Hope things run to plan. That "daily driver-xf ute, super reliable" is getting very tiered. But it does plug-on.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
adelaidecrows02

If it is a Pickles Auction, PM me the day and lot number. When I bid and buy from interstate I quite often have my panel beater check them out online just to give me a rough idea, and he is frequently on the mark.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
Pis-ton broke
Banned

its manheimfowles and i,m in Sydney, Thanks anyway.