Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Towbars and Towing Capabilities

Towbars and Towing Capabilities

Not sure if its the right place here,
But with recent reference to what people think is a safe load
It is generally written on your towbar
OR
IF not a quick google check will confirm what is a safe carrying load

A recent reference to a magna towing an ef falcon caused a few dramas as to what was safe or not

1500 KG max for a magna, so thats
NOT SAFE

Im not trying to start anymore debates as to right or wrong, but please guys/gals can we check first, before overloading

People dont have scales i know,but a bit of common sense would prevail

As we dont need anymore carnage on the roads

302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I towed a 1300kg car last weekend with a car trailer (what does that weigh?) with an AU and it did it perfectly. Towed 1300km round trip. (600km with car, rest just trailer). On gas was getting 22-25litres per hunderd.

AU has the standard towbar though...not the heavy duty hayman reese type. However the ratings for the different towbars are not for what is safe or whats not, I believe you can tow the maximum of the heavy duty towbar with your car with the light duty towbar (long as its braked), however you may damage your car which is up to you.

I towed from Tumut NSW to Geelong. Didnt know there were different speed limits in NSW to VIC for towing? In VIC its the same as normal. Lucky didnt get caught in NSW then... was doing 110ish on flat and down hills, less up hills.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I towed a 1300kg car last weekend with a car trailer (what does that weigh?) with an AU and it did it perfectly. Towed 1300km round trip. (600km with car, rest just trailer). On gas was getting 22-25litres per hunderd.

AU has the standard towbar though...not the heavy duty hayman reese type. However the ratings for the different towbars are not for what is safe or whats not, I believe you can tow the maximum of the heavy duty towbar with your car with the light duty towbar (long as its braked), however you may damage your car which is up to you.

I towed from Tumut NSW to Geelong. Didnt know there were different speed limits in NSW to VIC for towing? In VIC its the same as normal. Lucky didnt get caught in NSW then... was doing 110ish on flat and down hills, less up hills.

(what does that weigh?) you just told us 1300 kg

Sorry couldn't resist
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

he was talking about the trailer.....a good 300-500 kg

ill be open and honest here, yes i have towed exceding the limit of my towbar before, a number of times... i have learnt from that mistake though, luckily not from any accident, but through common sense..

ive towed a few cars with my V8 NC, which has a normal duty towbar.
heaviest would have been an EL Fairmont, which i had to tow a good 50-60km.
including the trailer it would have been well over 1900kg, or 190kg ball weight, exceding the manufacturers ball weight by at least 40kg
there were no issues what so-ever, but would i do it again?......no..its just not worth it, as any issues would be catastrophic!...

i have a hayman reece hitch reciever towbar and load leveling device to go on the car before it does any more towing.. which may well be towing a caravan to Queensland in august.

Last edited by LUXO_8; 01-07-2010 at 08:20 PM.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
There is no speed limit for a vehicle towing a trailer, other than the general speed limit.

It's just that most people towing caravans find that 80-90 kmh is best for fuel economy and holding up traffic
Old 01-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Towbars and Towing Capabilities

Not sure if its the right place here,
But with recent reference to what people think is a safe load
It is generally written on your towbar
OR
IF not a quick google check will confirm what is a safe carrying load

A recent reference to a magna towing an ef falcon caused a few dramas as to what was safe or not

1500 KG max for a magna, so thats
NOT SAFE

Im not trying to start anymore debates as to right or wrong, but please guys/gals can we check first, before overloading

People dont have scales i know,but a bit of common sense would prevail

As we dont need anymore carnage on the roads
I was pulling an EL.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
There is no speed limit for a vehicle towing a trailer, other than the general speed limit.

It's just that most people towing caravans find that 80-90 kmh is best for fuel economy and holding up traffic

In addition, some car operating manuals will suggest a maximum speed of 80kmh when towing more than 1300 kg...my G6 book suggests 80 kph max speed but I cannot recall the towing weight to which it applies...definately less than 1500kg though. I guess its a safety margin for the manufacturer.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #8
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
However the ratings for the different towbars are not for what is safe or whats not, I believe you can tow the maximum of the heavy duty towbar with your car with the light duty towbar (long as its braked), however you may damage your car which is up to you.
you will find that the heavy duty towbars are built more substantially, and manufacturers specify that to tow higher loads, you MUST use the HD bar as well as anything else they tell you to use

Ie:

1200kg = standard towbar
1600kg = HD towbar, Automatic transmission, tranny cooler, (sometimes) a power steering cooler
2300kg = as per 1600kg but with load levelling/weight distribution kit, air lift rear shockies, etc