Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up 1971 Ford XY GT Falcon up for grabs

1971 Ford XY GT Falcon up for grabs
By Neil McDonaldHerald Sun14 April 2010
A rare XY GT Falcon is Steve Georgiadis's prized possession.

And now he is giving it away. he former security manager is flogging off his $120,000 classic and donating the entire proceeds to charity.

The highly collectable 1971 Ford will be sold in Melbourne this weekend. The proceeds of the Sotheby's sale will go to Soul4Give, a non-profit indigenous advocacy group run by Georgiadis's mate Rob Batzke. Soul4Give promotes forgiveness, mental, social and physical health for indigenous communities.

Georgiadis, from Kingsgrove in Sydney, admits he could do with the cash himself to help pay his mortgage. "But I do believe it will come back to me," he says. "Rob does great work for Soul4Give and I want to help out."

He has owned the pampered car for the past 20 years. Apart from a new yellow ochre paint job, it is totally original.

"It's a great car but it's time to move it on," he says. Georgiadis says Batzke had been there for him when he experienced his own problems. Both his parents died recently and other family members have been plagued with health problems. Before his mother died, Georgiadis was forced to quit his security job to care for her.

"I'm pushing 50 and have been through a few tough situations so I understand what forgiveness is about," he says. "Rob's been a good mate and he's helped me so I wanted to help him."

Sotheby's national head of collector cars, James Nicholls, says Georgiadis's generosity has stunned staff. "It's really quite an amazing offer," he says. "It makes you feel quite humble." Nicholls says the car was one of the best examples of the XY GT series. "We expect spirited bidding," he says.

Rare classic Falcon GTs are highly sought after, with six figure prices common. Some Falcon GT-HOs have even fetched more than $500,000 in recent years. Apart from Georgiadis's pride and joy, Sotheby's is auctioning off 28 cars, motorbikes and memorabilia.

Last edited by csv8; 16-04-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: add photo
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I do believe that pic is just a cropped example of the classic HO in the garage poster that's been around for years.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If that doesn't get him into heaven, nothing will. Very generous.
Old 16-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
If that doesn't get him into heaven, nothing will. Very generous.
Indeed a very nice gesture.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just hope he hasn't been stooged...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
Deco28

I would buy it, but I think im $120,000 short.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
Autolite

If I was rich enough. I'd buy it and give it back to him. Its a very nice gesture from him.
Autolite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Clearly he went through some life altering events to be doing this judging by the article

Indeed very noble of him. 5 stars
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Good on him. Respect
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Very nice gesture... i would love to buy it and give some
cash to him also ...Alas , ill struggle to afford a model GT these days :(

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he owns that yellow GT that is the most famous yellow GT around from that poster being published yrs ago.

Ive seen a yellow GT locked up in a garage not as big as that and it reminded me of the 1 picture above.
Old 17-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
I do believe that pic is just a cropped example of the classic HO in the garage poster that's been around for years.
That XY GT in that pic, is a GT not a HO, it was owned by a fellow that lived in Syd and was a Holden Man but found this GT for sale and just had to have it, I don't know if he still own's it, or even if it is this vehicle in this story, could be ??.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
That XY GT in that pic, is a GT not a HO, it was owned by a fellow that lived in Syd and was a Holden Man but found this GT for sale and just had to have it, I don't know if he still own's it, or even if it is this vehicle in this story, could be ??.
in the melbourne herald sun they had two pics. one was of the owner holding the poster that everyone has seen many times - an xy gt with ijg33 number plates. beside it was a pic of his car with obviously different plates. the attachment in this thread is of the poster
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
in the melbourne herald sun they had two pics. one was of the owner holding the poster that everyone has seen many times - an xy gt with ijg33 number plates. beside it was a pic of his car with obviously different plates. the attachment in this thread is of the poster
Yeah I seen that aswell, I thought the same, maybe it's the same car but he is keeping the plates as they would be very sought after I would imagine, and he registred it with new plates ???.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I had an X(?) GT drive past me today in Melbournes CBD. Was yellow and reminded me of that poster. Looked and sounded off its chops.

Good gesture for sure.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
browser351
Landcruiser 200

Poster car is 'Yellow Glow' not 'Yellow Ocre'. Obviously not the same car. A good gesture none the same.

G.K.
browser351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #17
disco

The poster car taken at Bob Matics FMP was yellow ochre, not yellow glow. It looks YG in the picture but I assure you it's an ochre XY GT.

cheers,
Dave
disco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw this in the paper on the weekend. What a top idea. Thumbs up for that kind of Philanthropy. Most people would take the money and run.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post