Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Teflon Turbo
Banned

Thumbs down Sirens, Am I Hearing Things?

I am sure this has happend to some of you.

Driving along listening to the radio and all of a sudden you think you hear an emergency vehicle siren and slow down and damn near come to stop at a green light and only to realise it was the radio, sometimes a song other times an advert.

For the love of God, why the hell use sirens in radio in advert?

There are so many and I get abused when I slow down or when I don't move when the light turns green.

Also the horns of cars on radio adverts too.

Is that some kind of radio station joke?

Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Yep happened to me a few times.

I hate the mobile phone one, gets me everytime when i'm at home listening to the radio and hear it ring then realise its the radio.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

What station do you listen too?
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
Teflon Turbo
Banned

nova fm and gold fm
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few years ago, I cant remember what CD it was.. but there was a track with an intro containing a car crashing sound, and it always came out of the rear speakers... every time I'd jump.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 03:06 AM   #6
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah bloody annoying, i know one particular add sounds like the police, my heart sinks every time and i get anxious, companies- and what they do to get attention these days, shockin'
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I have to admit being caught out by this on Thursday evening. Problem was I was halfway around a multi lane round-a-bout when I heard it and instantly started to try and scan from what direction the 'siren' was coming from so I could get out of the way. The fact that it distracts your focus away from your driving while your looking for the non approaching emergency vehicle is what peeves me off.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I thought it was illegal to play siren noises over the radio?! (for that very reason...)

I listen to recorded American radio so I'm immune. ;)
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a recent song that's on high repeat on Nova in Sydney at the moment that contains a siren. Don't know what it is but gets me every time.
Old 25-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

There's a couple of songs I play a fair bit that have a bit of a siren noise in them - not actually a siren but a note or two that are on the same sort of pitch that used to get me until I got used to it. Can't even remember what they are now! But if they were to come on I wouldn't jump.

There was a song a few years back called "Somebody Answer The Phone" or something to that extent which had the whole buzzing noise mobiles used to give to speakers as part of it - was fun selecting that in a jukebox at the pool hall I used to frequent and then when that bit happened watch everybody grab for their phones!!! It also had the sound of a phone ringing but unless people had a very similar ringtone people didn't really fall for that bit.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

It gets to me too. I listen to MMM and the traffic report has car horns recorded on it. Catches me out sometimes when it sounds just as I'm doing a lane change or at a light just gone green. Absolutely gives me the yips. Should be stopped.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
fordboy1981

I think I'm hearing them normally, without the radio... guilt complex I guess...
fordboy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
A few years ago, I cant remember what CD it was.. but there was a track with an intro containing a car crashing sound, and it always came out of the rear speakers... every time I'd jump.
Was it Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood 1st track T. N. T. (Terror 'N Tinseltown)?

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post