Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #31
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously, you're suggesting that someone who can afford multiple cars has the means to afford to house them (I assume these rare cars are garaged not parked in the street) can afford to insure them. But the government should be fair and discount their rego.

HMMM this should go down well with the wider community. : :
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #32
73gscoupe

The core issue is that the TAC charge should be associated with an individual's license renewal, NOT with the vehicle registration.

I dont mind paying multiple registration charges (I have 3 cars), but part of the registration charge is the TAC insurance charge. Why do I have to pay that 3 times? Am i 3 times more likely to injure or be injured on the road because I own 3 cars?

In my opinion it is grossly unfair to have the TAC charge lumped into the registration of a motor vehicle. The TAC charge is supposed to cover injury to people, so why not associate it with a persons licence renewal.

While their at it they can bump up the TAC component for drink drive offenders.
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #33
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Vic, rego isn't the main cost, the third party insurance is (CTP). All up, out of about $600 per year, $460ish is the CTP. The rest is the rego fee and GST.

If it was just a $140 ish rego fee per year that would be fine, but paying all that extra CTP per vehicle isn't. The real alternative is to charge all licence holders the CTP, not the vehicle. A licence holder can only drive one vehicle at a time, regardless of how many they own, and a vehicle can only be driven by a licenced driver, who would then automatically be covered by insurance.

As a licence holder, if you can't afford the $400 per year to have your licence, then perhaps you shouldn't be driving, like all the deadbeats who don't have third party vehicle insurance on their rides.

Seems logical to me. I'll wait for you guys to pick it to pieces.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #34
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Seriously, you're suggesting that someone who can afford multiple cars has the means to afford to house them (I assume these rare cars are garaged not parked in the street) can afford to insure them. But the government should be fair and discount their rego.

HMMM this should go down well with the wider community. : :
I am glad you are happy to fork out around 2k/year to rego your GT fleet and you probably only drive each car twice a month so you would not be interested in the government realising that you are the only driver of the cars and collectively they only do a few k's each per year and giving you a reduction in rego as you are not using the road or services all that much.
I also have a small collection of cars that each cover few K's per year I pay the full rego on all of them for the privaledge of driving on our sub standard roads but IF a system was in place to save some money on them I would be happy to use it. Like you I dare say no one drives my cars but me as they are not really replaceable.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #35
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Hence you disagree with the proposal put forward by ieatsports_cars.
I do disagree yes if you choose to have more then one car you pay the required rego, simple
Old 22-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #36
dbirdy

Ok, how about this idea. Rego should be charged as a percentage of the vehicle age.

Eg.
A brand new to 5 year old car would be charged at 100%, which i guess the majority of our daily drivers are at least 5 years old.

and for our hobby car / project car / crusing car / street machine

being around the 1960's era, knock 40% off the price since it is 40 years old?

This old would only work if the old car is our street machine....
dbirdy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #37
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

DUCATTI 888, you will never be a Polli, your way too smart!

CTP/TAC premium on your drivers lic is the best idea i have heard of, nice post pal.
(and whats with paying stamp duty on everything all the time?)

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #38
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant
DUCATTI 888, you will never be a Polli, your way too smart!

CTP/TAC premium on your drivers lic is the best idea i have heard of, nice post pal.
Ummm.... did everyone miss my post #14?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #39
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbirdy
Ok, how about this idea. Rego should be charged as a percentage of the vehicle age.

Eg.
A brand new to 5 year old car would be charged at 100%, which i guess the majority of our daily drivers are at least 5 years old.

and for our hobby car / project car / crusing car / street machine

being around the 1960's era, knock 40% off the price since it is 40 years old?

This old would only work if the old car is our street machine....
How about new car rego is free and it goes up as the car gets older.....

This will get all the rubbish off the streets
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #40
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
How about new car rego is free and it goes up as the car gets older.....

This will get all the rubbish off the streets
I think that is a crap plan, Because their is alot of people who carn't afford to keep up dating their cars all the time, i can't , and there is a lot of bloody nice old cars on the roads too why ruin something that is going good and it is special to the owner stupid idea, then in that case you will see a lot of family's cramed in 2 door hyundai getz's and kia rio because they are cheap cars.

Last edited by ieatsports_cars; 22-07-2009 at 10:48 PM.
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #41
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about "pay per use"?
You declare your combined annual k's on your tax return, more k's you do, the more $$ you pay.

Old 22-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #42
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i dont know but i feel some thing need to be done for those people who have multi vehicles
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #43
Withnail

Governments will never allow a system for a reduced rego on your owning multiple cars as this goes against what they are trying to achieve. That is, reducing the number of cars on our roads.

Reducing the rego for your second, third car etc, would encourage people to own more cars, which goes against everything they are trying to achieve to reduce congestion, environmental damage etc.

Its irrelevant to them how much you drive it. The point is you have it, so you COULD drive it, so you increase congestion and environmental damage.

Cars to us are fun, a passion. But to governments and the wider community they are a source of pollution, cost and reduced community amenity. For example, hands up anyone who wants to live on a main road?
Withnail is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #44
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
i dont know but i feel some thing need to be done for those people who have multi vehicles
Why? I have two vehicles, can't drive both at once.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #45
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
What about "pay per use"?
You declare your combined annual k's on your tax return, more k's you do, the more $$ you pay.
Problem is tax is federal robbery, rego is state robbery. Club rego is worth looking into. Last i checked (im not in a club now) you needed a minimum of 6 members and could stipulate your own rules (ie personalized plates). There are obviously tax issues and its more complicated than that. But look into club rulings in your own states. Most of the 'limited driving' is avoidable, personalized plates and putting your rego sticker on say a rear quarter window will sort out some 'by the looks of it' type things.

Last i checked in QLD you were limited to driving to events or within 15km of your home. Fine for most people, there was also something about 'testing' that allowed you to drive a certain amount of km's outside the regulated zone.

But then again, you could just cop it on the chin.

And remember the price hikes next voting oppurtunity you have...

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post