Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default What is ford service nowdays?

An owner of a car I am buying took the car to ford for a service before I pick it up (car only travelled35k) so is still like new. The bill was around $250 parts listed oil, filter,sump plug gasket,washer bottle sachet, funny thing well not really funny in the comments it said the handbrake works well but is a bit high should be adjusted why wouldn't you adjust it while it was on the hoist? In reality all ford service does is expensive oil changes. Adjusting a handbrake should take 10 mins if that.

My car only goes to ford for warranty repairs IMO I get much better services at a private workshop because they do stuff like adjust the handbrake while they have the car my guys put a spanner on all the suspension while the car is in the air because they know I drive the car and not make you rebook for a $100 brake adjustment next week. Has anyone else noticed a factory service is just an oil change and fluid check other minor adjustments not done just noted? My local ford allways comments on tread depth or lack there of made the mistake once of saying change the two rear tyres cost $900. once only!

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
ltd
Force Fed Fords

No complaints from me. My services from Dale ford are awesome and not all that expensive. I've seen them go over everything on the car and check/tighten everything, as well as spend about an hour and a half doing it properly. Also, I have seen them do things like rotate and balance tyres as part of the service at no extra charge. Nup, happy here mate, maybe your dealer is a bit lazy.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Remember when FPV launched and customers were to get special treatment at dealerships etc. ROFLMAO
Old 05-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Eaglexr

I've made the decision to do my own oil changes and spend $55-60, rather then $200+ at the dealer.
I had the same problem in relation to the handbrake, it was basically not operational when it went in for a service and they had it up on the hoist and the wheels off.
It cost me $70 a couple of days later to have it adjusted.
Since then I have learnt how to adjust it myself, and considering what is involved, I thought Ford service could have adjusted it when they did the service.
I don't think the dealers do themselves any favours with the b/s they trot out, the over-charging and general lack of concern for repeat business.
Eaglexr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My last service on the AU, they got the leaves out of the HVAC fan for free, but the labour for installing new front shocks and the gearbox service sure hurt the hip pocket.

G6ET will be going there but I'll service/do minor repairs on the AU myself now and find a good private mechanic for major stuff.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on the dealer, they are really no different to the Automasters etc mob in what they do or don't do except they charge more.

I used to service my old BA at the dealer I purchased the car from, had a fair amount of warranties issues such as front disks and driveline vibes -

Went in once for combined service (15K iirc) + warranty fixes, had new rear end bolted in and front disks machined, they still wanted to hit me for tyre rotation though...
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Both my wife's Falcon and my Ghia have had very poor experiences with different Ford service dealers in Melbourne. Average workmanship, overcharging and poor if not dishonest advise. In the end we take it to an independant mechanic and are very happy with the service. It's not going to stop me from buying another Ford, but it will stop me from EVER going to a Ford dealer for service.

With large workshops, your only as good as your worst mechanic/apprentice and they make the majority of their month through fleet maintenance where the drivers don't own the car or pay for their own work, care factor isn't high.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
Busted

Look its not hard to find a "good" dealer for servicing. Just ring the customer relations no in your service book and ask them to tell you who the closest "A" rated service dealer is near you.

The reason dealers cost more is becouse they have the latest computers and programe updates for your car and they don't come cheap ( In the thousands of $). They do on site training that is Ford vehicle specific that wile cost nothing as such is lost time they can't sell.
Your inderpendent blokes will have diagnostic tools but will not be able to upgrade you vehicle with the latest wiz bag program's from Ford.

Now your independent bloke may be cheaper & do a hand brake adjustment as part of the service but dont think is free. nothing is free. His just dosn't have the overheads as all dealers have and can still do the hand brake and the service as one job cheaper.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

not a big fan of the ford dealership service department,i rather take my ride to a local private mechanic who actually knows what they are doing..but hey its revenue raising for ford...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No complaints either, service has always been quick and never a problem.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
Matt P
No Boundries

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d
An owner of a car I am buying took the car to ford for a service before I pick it up (car only travelled35k) so is still like new. The bill was around $250 parts listed oil, filter,sump plug gasket,washer bottle sachet, funny thing well not really funny in the comments it said the handbrake works well but is a bit high should be adjusted why wouldn't you adjust it while it was on the hoist? In reality all ford service does is expensive oil changes. Adjusting a handbrake should take 10 mins if that.

My car only goes to ford for warranty repairs IMO I get much better services at a private workshop because they do stuff like adjust the handbrake while they have the car my guys put a spanner on all the suspension while the car is in the air because they know I drive the car and not make you rebook for a $100 brake adjustment next week. Has anyone else noticed a factory service is just an oil change and fluid check other minor adjustments not done just noted? My local ford allways comments on tread depth or lack there of made the mistake once of saying change the two rear tyres cost $900. once only!
Mate it all boils down to time and cost most people won't pay for things they did not ask for. Apart from that most dealerships are booked to the hilt as it cost to much to have guys standing around so unless you ask for it at the time you book the car in unless there is time available it may not get done. Dealerships have far bigger overheads the the little garage down the road so they book as much as they can to keep the tecs busy. Its unfortunate but thats the way it is and if we keep to the book time that most of you get charged for that .8 to an hour does not alow all that much time for other issues. A Falcon handbreak adjust is not a 10 minute job either you should always do it at the wheels as if you crank the cable all you end up doing is getting and brake drag and the dreaded swoosh as you drive along. Don't get me wrong though nothing S@$ts me like after the tech has done the service and i get in to do the roadie and the rack goes clack clack that sort of quick fix should be done while the cars in the air takes no time at all and if I heard it straight away chances are they did too.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

So a service is just an oilchange not really a service at all just drop the oil and fill it back up and I do understand that the dealers have overheads but they also sell parts,new cars,second hand ones,services and get paid by the mob they work for for any warranty work done so their income stream is spread far more than the mere mechanical workshop.

My company sells and builds new commercial kitchens we make good money off selling gear and not so much off servicing the equipment but we get lots of sales because we do good service work at good rates I tell my blokes if they see something that is cheap to fix do it whilst your there if it is going to be costly to repair let the customer know and find out off them how to proceed that in my opinion is service, not getting call backs and not rebooking for jobs that could have been completed whilst on site originally. Servicing should include all common adjustments and resetting due to normal wear and tear.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......

Last edited by fpv84d; 05-06-2009 at 08:57 PM.
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
Windsor220
Now Fordless

All the extras that are sold is how the dealer makes its money. If they did everything during the service then they probably wouldnt earn enough to be worthwhile.
Its like Matt P said, dealers work off time and how they can earn the most using it. You wouldnt believe the time manufacturers give for some services. 0.6, 0.7 of an hour barely enough time to give a decent road test and do the oil. Car is checked over and anything extra is sold to the customer.
The service is expensive because the labour rate is so high. $130 an hour.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
Matt P
No Boundries

Its not just an oil change its break and tyre check safety critical components check you get done what is out lined in the service book. That is what constitutes a service.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d

you like your service done that way, but for every ten like yourself there are 10 more that wiill winge like a banshee for work done not requested, if you are happy to have extra work done a simple bit of communication to the service guy will get it done.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #16
Eaglexr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
you like your service done that way, but for every ten like yourself there are 10 more that wiill winge like a banshee for work done not requested, if you are happy to have extra work done a simple bit of communication to the service guy will get it done.
I believe the handbrake should not be as common a problem as it is in the Falcon, that said I also believe Ford service are more than aware of the issue and whilst doing a basic service to your vehicle it should imo come standard.
TFL is a joke as well.
Eaglexr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford service never again! Not after the crap I had to put up with. I bought a Porsche a while ago and just took it for its first service. As well as doing a top rate job on the service they detailed my car right down to the brake calipers free of charge! Everything and I mean everything was looked over and adjusted as part of the service. It didn't cost any more than a ford service either.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
GT-E

Most people would not know what a "good service" was from most dealers.
Most dealers in general are only doing logbook services and warranty work.
They do not often have many true mechanics, but "Factory Trained Technicians" that are just lube operators.
It seems that they cannot diagnose problems that are not listed in the Ford computer (WDS), so they generally ignore any client conserns with the old saying that the problem cannot be found or is normal.
My cars only go to Ford service for Warranty work, as I am sick of reporting a problem only to drop the car in, have it sit there for a day, only to pick it up and get told they could not find the problem.
My local workshop have all the diagnostic tools and trained mechanics that can think and act on problems. They know if I report a problem, there is a problem and find/fix it.
While not all Ford service places are bad, most have not got a great reputation for real service.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #19
elusiverunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dealer Servicing

I no longer get my car (2002 Fairmont Ghia) serviced by Ford. It is as some of you have said all they do is charge for expensive addatives. The service booklet that details there services are check this check that and I am not sure even the checking gets done.

I once asked a Ford Dealership to replaced my spark plus and oil filter, which I marked with a small dab of paint. When I picked up the car I was told that the plugs were changed as well as the oil filter and charged accordingly. On getting home and checking the supposedly replaced parts I found that strangely the replaced parts had the same dab of paint on them. I have never been to a Ford dealer since my extended warranty expired and I am still getting my mechanic to replace or repair items that Ford has claimed they have done under warranty. :
Bolle Window Tint - fitted by Tint a Car
PWR Heat Exchanger, PWR Auto Transmission Oil Cooler - No milkshakes in this car.

After market DRL.
Custom fitted gauge holder with three gauges - Stav of Stingray Car Security.
elusiverunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post