Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question SHELL Nitrogen Petrol

I was recently in the USA/Canada and SHELL has released nitrogen enriched petrol. A search of SHELL Australia it isn't mentioned. Anyone in the know if it is coming here ?
What is Gunk?

The technical term for engine gunk is carbon deposits and not all gasolines can protect against those performance-robbing deposits. Deposits can build up on critical engine parts as the result of various chemical and thermal processes that occur in the engine during its operation. Since gasoline primarily contains carbon and hydrogen (gasoline is a hydrocarbon liquid), these chemical processes can create a residue or deposit, which consists mainly of carbon, that builds up on intake valves and fuel injectors.

Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines are designed to act as a barrier to help keep your engine clean and protect it from this performance-robbing gunk even better than before.

Why Avoid Gunk?

Without looking into your engine, it is difficult to tell the extent of gunky build-up that may have collected on critical engine parts. However, if you typically use lower-quality gasolines that contain only the minimum amount of cleaning agents required by Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB), there is a chance that you may be hurting your car’s performance.

All Shell gasolines contain more than double the minimum amount of detergent or deposit control additive as specified by the CGSB. They also do not just meet but exceed the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standard set by six top car manufacturers Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen. For more information on TOP TIER, please visit www.shell.ca/toptier.

Gunky build-up on critical engine parts such as intake valves and fuel injectors can result in performance problems for your engine. Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines are designed to act as a barrier to help keep your engine clean and protect it from this performance-robbing gunk even better than before.

How do Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines work?

Nitrogen is part of an active cleaning molecule within the overall Nitrogen Enriched cleaning system. By enriching the cleaning system with this unique cleaning molecule, we helped to increase its effectiveness so that all three grades of Shell gasoline can clean up gunky build-up on intake valves and fuel injectors left by lower quality gasolines and then act like a barrier to protect critical engine parts from performance-robbing gunk.

Tests show that Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines can help prevent build-up of carbon deposits, or gunk, more effectively than gasolines containing only the minimum amount of cleaning agents as required by national fuel standards in Canada. Nitrogen is part of an active cleaning molecule within the new Shell Nitrogen Enriched cleaning system. This new active cleaning molecule is designed to increase the effectiveness of the cleaning system, allowing all three grades of Shell gasoline to help prevent and clean up performance-robbing gunk in conventional engines.

As a leader in fuels innovation and technology, Shell has determined this new molecule to be significantly more stable at higher temperatures to help protect against gunk even in tougher conditions associated with today’s modern engines. A clean engine can result in better fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and overall optimal vehicle performance.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

Gunk = High tech talk there!

Do you put it in the 'What's it'?
For the 'Thingy'?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
BlackLS
yum

Hahaha why not just calling it carbon deposits.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Awesome, I wonder if it works in conjunction with the nitrogen in your tyres?

Smells like marketing hype to me. If I remember my chemistry well nitrogen suppresses combustion. I wonder how that is a good thing in the internal combustion motor?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Common air is about 80% nitrogen, so all engines get it anyway.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Common air is about 80% nitrogen, so all engines get it anyway.
78% actually, did you not pick up on the sarcasm?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

What is the N in N20 ?? It doesn't burn and acts like a shock absorber to a point...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
What is the N in N20 ?? It doesn't burn and acts like a shock absorber to a point...
What is the O?

My point was missed, no need to continue.

Regarding the fuel though, I would like to see some independent tests before I class it as anything other than marketing.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

O is oxygen as in Nitrous Oxide..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post